I'm also new here.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm also new here.

My 18-year-old daughter is a heroin addict. She has been in rehab for just over a week.
Like most others here I can write a book on our life since she became a drug abuser-but I won't.
I figure you will all come to know my story as I post and respond.

I do have a question though. I have been attending Alonon meetings because we don't have Naranon anywhere near our city. I assume they have similar foundations.

In Alonon they told us not throw our alcoholic's liquor. Does the same stand true for a heroin addict? When she comes home, if I find illegal drugs in my house, there is NO WAY I cannot throw them out.

I've researched this and can't find what Naranon says about illegal drugs in the house??
Thank you in advance!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi jbyers,
my son is a heroin addict. whenever i found something illegal, i threw it away.
this is my home, i throw away all illegal things.
i am a recovering alcoholic, if my daughter brings alcohol in here, it is disrespectful to me as a recovering person and as her mother who forbid it in my home.
in the garbage it went.

your house, your rules.

Beth
Old 02-09-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of my boundaries is "I do not allow illegal substances in my home. If someone brings something illegal into my home, they must immediately leave or I will call the police and have them arrested."
Mine too. It's about me and my personal boundaries - not about the addicts behavior. I will and will not accept certain behaviors in my life and in my house. If you violate my boundaries, you will be asked to leave. If you do not leave, I reserve the right to call the police and have you (and your drugs) removed from my home.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for such quick responses! And I am glad I am not alone in not allowing that in my house.
I want to do what is right for her because obviously what I did before didn't work and I failed at keeping her clean and sober.

I've realized now I can't keep her clean.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome..my daughter has 5 mo. clean off heroin..she just turned 19..lots of people here in your shoes..
Old 02-09-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

keepinon, Did your daughter go to rehab or quit on her own?
Did she stop communicating with her friends that were like her? I don't mean the dealers, but her actual friends who would take help if it was offered?

This rehab gave my daughter her phone back within 24 hours and I know she is communicating with friends like her. That worries me.
I know she isn't talking to the dealers because they did a 3 house raid in our city and arrested all her dealers.

I know I need to let this go because I can't control what she does, but it is so hard and I can't find many success stories similar to her life.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR....I hope you find comfort here. There are so many of us who understand what you are dealing with.

I'm glad to hear that your daughter is in rehab. I hope that she is ready to live a clean and sober lifestyle. I'm even happier to hear that you are doing what you need to do to help yourself.

It's a shame that there are not more Naranon meetings around but the messages are very similar between Naranon and Alanon. The essential lessons regarding detaching with love, learning to trust a higher power, etc., cross over and, personally, I can tell a huge difference in myself when I'm working my program. It does work if you work it.

I'm glad you're here. I hope you'll share, ask questions, and know that you are not walking this path alone.

gentle hugs
Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
it is what it is

glad you found this site - you will find much support here - many people with much experience, advice and concern - keep pressing in