What do I do with my friend who is depressed?

Old 01-23-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

What do I do with my friend who is depressed?

He has a history of abusing prescription painkillers and dope. He's also an alcoholic. He has told me he is clean when it comes to drugs and has gone through rehab and going to counseling sessions.

The thing is we used to be good friends then our friendship got complicated and it aint like it used to be. I only like him as a friend and he knows it. I only hear from him when he calls and wants money. I don't call cause I have this thing with fear of rejection so I don't take the iniative to call first.

He has made comment once in the past on Facebook to end it....

I've told him that it wouldn't be a good idea for us to hang out anymore and he was like yeah right....I tried to give him the hint and gave me the story of "don't let me down" blah blah blah I just don't wanna feel guilty if something happens to him if I wasn't there for him. I've dealt enough in my life with family n friends dying young.

The thing is when I do see him, the visits are brief and it's just me and him so never around the friends he hangs out with anymore
Old 01-23-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

By poly substance abuse, he is orchestrating an out of control train wreck in his life. He is also concurrently attempting to use you as scapegoat, enabler, and ATM cash machine toward this end.

What would be the features of this "friendship" that outweigh such overwhelming negatives?

When people are unhealthy by choice, toxic, and make choices that not only damage them but also the people who associate with them, what is the motivation to stay associated with them?

CLMI
Old 01-23-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by catlovermi View Post
By poly substance abuse, he is orchestrating an out of control train wreck in his life. He is also concurrently attempting to use you as scapegoat, enabler, and ATM cash machine toward this end.

What would be the features of this "friendship" that outweigh such overwhelming negatives?

When people are unhealthy by choice, toxic, and make choices that not only damage them but also the people who associate with them, what is the motivation to stay associated with them?

CLMI
I've tried to give him the hint that I didn't want to be around him anymore and he doesn't believe me cause when he wants something he'll keep pestering me until I give in
Old 01-23-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Every time I gave into someone's pestering for money, I let them know it works. No reason for them so stop since it works so well, and nothing changes if nothing changes.

Have you considered saying no? It's a complete sentence.

When I don't want to feel guilty about others bad choices, the first step is admitting I'm not that powerful. They have free will and I don't force them to do anything.