Finding a good dual diagnosis facility PA

Old 01-22-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cac

Finding a good dual diagnosis facility PA

HI,
Is anyone familiar with Bowling Green/Brandywind Center in PA? It is near my family, but I'm concerned about the quality.

My 21 yo D is a substance (pres pill) abuser and we have finally reached point if inpatient help. she spent 6 days at Fellowship Hall and although scared and very reluctant at first, found that she really liked it. however, they determined that she needed care in a dual-diagnosis facility for her depression and anxiety.
They made some suggestions that are either very expensive and/or far away. Our resources have been drained and trying to find place for which at least some insurance.
My main concern is that there is methadone treatment there and concerned about presence of drug use in facility.

we have been advised it is good to get her out of local area where temptation to leave is greater. but hard to get advice for areas where you don't live.

thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have sent you a private message.

CLMI
Old 01-22-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What I can share with you is, when I was with my BF and he put himself into a local detox, he only stayed for 3 days. Once things got a little tuff he was able to make a phone call and in a matter of minutes had a ride home.

What are your thoughts on “far away” facilities, what’s going through your mind about that?

Maybe make some phone calls to find out which ones accept your insurance.

I think in a facility where they dispense methadone to those patients that need it, it’s very controlled because they know the deal and they know addicts and how they are.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cac

thanks for replies!

CLMI, great to hear from you, I will reply via PM once i have 5 posts : )

Atalose, Far way is tricky. We were thinking far away enough that her group of friends/enablers might not be tempted to 'spring' her, but not so far that family could not visit.
The insurance question is tough--tough to get information on what is covered, and harder to find a facility that takes BCBS for inpatient treatment.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Once you find a facility ask them about the families involvement, usually it’s weekends or limited in a 30 day period to one weekend. If the family is working “their” own recovery program, al-anon, nar-anon, addiction therapy with a private counselor, then maybe there won’t be such a need for “visits” and she can go farther away. Something to look into.

The last facility my BF was in about 6 years ago was a few hours away and in his 30 day stay there was only 1 family session and that weeks after he was there.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

we are from pittsburgh. my boyfriends mother sent him to that facility with it being 5 1/2 hours away. 2nd day there he got caught selling a suboxone and they sent him home. they drove. they would not tell him mother where he was or what time he left. but worst of all. THEY DIDNT EVEN DROP HIM OFF AT HIS HOUSE! HE GOT DROPPED OFF AT HIS DEALERS HOUSE!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

and they do not do searches when you enter that facility. there are numerous drugs in there that your daughter can get her hands on. im sure its like that with all facilities, but at least others do a search so it is harder to get them in whereas you cant walk in with them in your pocket.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I am very surprised at a 'dual diagnosis' at only 6 days.

Most reputable psychiatrists and psychologists and therapists and counselors won't even attempt a diagnosis like that until the individual has been clean and sober at least 6 months or longer. Why? because addiction and/or alcoholism can mimic so many mental health issues that they prefer the body not have the toxins in it from the particular addiction.

That being said .................................. you might also check with Salvation Army as they do have quite a rehab program. It will depend on where a bed is available so it may be away from your house.

J M H O

I am sending good thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing as we do care very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-25-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
cac

Dear all,
thanks so much for info. I drove daughter up there over the weekend. She was VERY unhappy first day but haven't heard since so have to assume she is still there.
they do seem a bit disorganized there, and I'm not very happy that there is only an answering service after 5 pm and before 9 am. I really have no way of knowing what is going on.
that said, I did speak at lenght the first day with a counselor who seemed very caring and concerned. They don't seem to have quite enough staff, so can certainly imagine drugs are getting in there. But hopefully daughter will find the help and support she needs to get thru this.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh--and the BCBS insurance?? I was all over that webpage, but it doesn't give complete or even accurate info. And I have now heard from two facilities (BG Brandywine and Pavillon in NC) that the BCBS rules for some programs have recently changed, and what used to be covered no longer is. Both facilities said they had just figured this out and had to change the info they were giving people. so be careful.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

am very surprised at a 'dual diagnosis' at only 6 days.

I too am very suprised @ a diagnosis this early on. XAH and I went to counselors 2-3 years prior and they suspected him bipolar. He's not, just manic on drugs and depressed when not. Don't believe everything without doing your research. I clung to their diagnosis thinking it was the answer. It wasn't. Alot of people with BPD self medicate - hence the drug addiction part. They self medicate too. I wasted about 3 years of my life believing this. I hope you do your research and save yourself the time - if it is to be saved. I know @ the time I was very vulnerable and grasped onto anything that I could to explain our dire circumstances, medically speaking. In the end, he was a drug addict. Plain and simple.