Codependence and Yoga

Old 01-07-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codependence and Yoga

I love yoga. It allows me an escape from my ever busy mind. We had a substitute yoga instructor yesterday. I liked her. She was different from my normal yoga instructor in that she concentrated on FORM and left us in the poses for what felt like forever. It was hard work.

She told us to relax into the pose....to stop fighting it because the harder we fight it, the harder the pose is to maintain. She told us to try to find the "ease" in the pose.....the balance where our body does the work naturally as it should. It worked!

It struck me that codependence is a lot like yoga. The harder we try to control the A in our lives (and speaking for myself--everyone else too), the more out of control we feel. We can't maintain that control (which we never really had anyway) so it begins to feel even MORE out of control......so we fight harder to regain control........it's a vicious cycle. When we stop fighting for control and relax......letting our HP do the work, we actually begin to get a better grasp on our lives......we actually gain control of the one thing we have control over.......ourselves.

Just like yoga.....

gentle hugs
Old 01-07-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So true! Thank you!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks....yoga rocks....and letting go. I also learned to meditate in my yoga class and it helped slow down the monkey mind thoughts. I learned to focus on the breathing and observe what my mind was obsessing about.....focus back on the breath....etc.......Yoga also helped (cured) sciatic pain I had had for 20 years.......
Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love this one Kindeyes

I also do yoga in spurts throughout the day. I actually started it after my third child and found it helped with my back pain, headaches, strength and so much more. So now that I cannot go to the gym currently for back issues I am back to yoga and now I want to take a class
Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yoga has so many life lessons..another one I love is equanimity...having a stable base so we are not easily knocked over!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I get the "we can only control ourselves" concept but how do you put the addict aside (especially) when he is your son. When do stop waking up and going to sleep thinking about them. I will get this~~I will get this!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
I get the "we can only control ourselves" concept but how do you put the addict aside (especially) when he is your son. When do stop waking up and going to sleep thinking about them. I will get this~~I will get this!
Dignity
The addict in my life is my son as well. I look back on it and wish I had then what I have now. It could have saved him and ME a lot of pain and anguish.

For me.....it takes practice. Constant continual practice. And a lot of prayer. I needed to really take MY recovery seriously and begin working the steps. I had to completely and totally surrender to my HP.

I also needed to truly embrace the concept that my son has a HP too......and I'm not it.

gentle hugs from another Mom.....