SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   detox and rehab (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/216903-detox-rehab.html)

wifenotknowing 01-03-2011 06:27 PM

detox and rehab

I am trying to figure out how much time I have before my AH gets out of rehab. I am trying to get myself in a better position mentally. I have been constantly trying to be aware of my thoughts and actions. I want to be supportive but not an enabler.

My questions is this: He went into detox and spent 10 days there and then went into 28 day inpatient treatment. Does that mean that he will be there an additional 28 days after 10 in detox or does the 28 days included the detox time?

I haven't talked to him since he left and that was by his choice. And when it first happened, I was very upset that he didnt say anything to me. I must have been a really big enabler or either he didnt want to hear what was going on outside, so that he could focus on rehab. I don't know and it really doesn't matter at this point. I have started worrying and putting me and the kids first He is grown and responsible for his actions not me. Its not like he is new to addiction. He is a recovering alcoholic...been sober for bout 15 years. It took inpatient treatment for him then. All he did was swap one DOC to another. I have come to realize in the past 25 days that he has been gone...he is not the only one with a problem..I have one too. And I wish there was a 28 day program with constant support for codependency. If you looked up the word codependent in the dictionary, you would see my picture. I have known this for about 20 years while dealing with an alcoholic mother. I called her sponser not knowing what else to do and he said turn on the "tough love". And I did...it took about 5 years for her to get sober. I just never imagined that my "disease" could really hurt someone like it has for him.

Anyway, I am so glad that I found this site! I can see there are many others, male and female that is in the same position as me. My work is cut out for me. It seems like I became codependent over night, but it is going to take many, many, many nights to change that!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any info regarding how the program works. Sorry for the rambling!

Kindeyes 01-03-2011 07:01 PM

My questions is this: He went into detox and spent 10 days there and then went into 28 day inpatient treatment. Does that mean that he will be there an additional 28 days after 10 in detox or does the 28 days included the detox time?
Depends.....my son's first stint in inpatient the detox was a part of the 28 days. The last time, he was required to detox prior to going into a 21 day program. Each program is different.

Breaking those patterns of codependence and enabling is difficult. I find I take two steps forward......one step back.....but it's progress not perfection that counts.

I'm glad you found SR too. It has been a tremendous source of information and support for me. I hope you find comfort here. You are not alone.

gentle hugs