Question

Old 12-25-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

I had my 23-year-old son court committed to a 30 day treatment program. I am beginning to think that he should not come home afterward. My husband and I have been through so much with him and I probably have been enabling him. He is unemployed and facing possible prison time. Do these treatment centers usually find a halfway house for them upon release? I am feeling so bad because when he was clean for nearly a year he was such a wonderful son. I am also concerned that not letting him home will lead him to use again. However, I know that the 30 days is no guarantee against the addiction.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You can ask the staff at the center about sober living facilities in the area. They should know of some that your son could check out. It is entirely understandable that you would be concerned about letting him stay with you after treatment. At 23, he is old enough to start taking care of himself, and a halfway house, or sober-living facility would be very helpful.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Trinia)))) - 30 days is just a start in recovery. I'm an RA (recovering addict) as well as a recovering codie.

There are several threads, here, of parents who have been through the "letting them come home after rehab" and later regretting it - not ALL, but quite a few.

I don't know if the rehab will help him find a place, but I think some places do...stuff like Sober Living homes are a good option.

I never went to rehab, and I'd already dabbled in recovery before I relapsed for 2 weeks, so when I got back home from the relapse, I had strict rules in place (and I'm 49, living with my dad/stepmom!!) and immediately went to work. This was okay, in my situation, because I was done, done, done, and ready to grasp at everything and anything that would help me in my recovery. Not all A's are like that.

If you are hesitant to let him home, I would say go with your gut. Mine has never failed me. It was only by my family letting me feel the consequences of my using that I got bad enough to want recovery. I wasn't allowed home unless I was showing, by my actions, that I was not the person I was when I used.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-25-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I definately HOGHLY reccomend NOT letting him come home.I tried it and was miserable..the second time after rehab we sent our daughter to a sober living facility..THEY drug test her, enforce a curfew, make sure she goes to meetings etc.it gives her life skills and I get to retain my SANITY!!! I nor you I am sure are drug counselors and even if we were, we couldn't treat our own kids.Have you gone to any Alanon meetings? They really have helped me!