elizabeth edwards

Old 12-08-2010, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tam

elizabeth edwards

I am posting this on a personal level not political. I read elizabeth edwards book "resilience" and have been following her story for over a year. I was saddened by her loss. But I found comfort and courage in her story. She went through trajedies, losing her young son was the worse, but she continued on and did so with dignity. I watched her interview on larry king in june, in some ways I thought she was talking about me. After having had cancer 2 times and now a divorce after 26 years, she too was going through the same thing. I often think what I would do if I was sick again. I know what I would do, the same as her. continue on, fight on with dignity.
some things that come to mind: when asked if she forgave her husband, she said no (very quickly) when asked how john would feel if she passed she said, he will be torn but thats the consequences of his actions he will have to deal with them. when asked if she gets scared and thinks about dying. she said, yes on every scan I get I think and know I will eventually die from cancer. But she kept fighting, she would say everyone's days are numbered so enjoy each one you get.
I feel the same as her, betrayed. me to a drug, but neverless betrayed.
I feel scared about cancer too. I am scared about my upcoming scans too.
But it doesnt change anything. I have to keep fighting on for me.
makes me wonder 1 thing , she finally let john back into her life a few days ago, I wonder if she forgave him.
so when we are weak we are also strong. bad things happen to us and out of those trajedies something good comes out of them. We just dont see them at the moment.
I can say as elizabeth said, cancer gave me strength and courage, cancer gave me appreciation for life and it gave me an attitude that I can get through things, you just have to keep trying.
addiction gave me courage and strength as well and just have to get through it.
Keep strong, keep fighting, keep living no matter what comes your way.
remember it gives you courage..RESILIENCE
Old 12-08-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

so when we are weak we are also strong. bad things happen to us and out of those trajedies something good comes out of them. We just dont see them at the moment.
Amazing isn't it, the truth in this statement. The human spirit is something.

Keep strong, keep fighting, keep living no matter what comes your way.
remember it gives you courage..RESILIENCE

Thanks Tam, this is just what I needed today.

I think that I'd like to read that book as I admire her a lot. She must have gotten a lot of strength from her situation. I hope that she passed on some very good lessons to her children. Bless them, and may her spirit guide them through the tough times ahead of them.

chicory

[/QUOTE]
Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

"Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before,"
"You can fight it, you can do nothing but scream about what you've lost, or you can accept that and try to put together something that's good."

Elizabeth Edwards contemplated her own death, writing that it didn't seem as frightening to her since she lost her oldest son.
Reflecting on how she wants to remembered, she repeated one of her favorite metaphors. She wrote that at times, the wind didn't blow her way,
but she said she was still able to stand in the storm, adjust her sails and move forward.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

She was quite an example of accepting life on life's terms and not being a victim..she is an inspiration.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Definitely a courageous and inspirational woman!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

She wrote that at times, the wind didn't blow her way,
but she said she was still able to stand in the storm, adjust her sails and move forward.
[/QUOTE]

She left us some good words to grow by. What a lady!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too greatly admire that dear woman. Instead of dying with fear and bitterness in her heart, she chose to live in faith and joy for every single day.

This reminds me of one of my favourite sayings from the Shawshank Redemption "Get busy living or get busy dying".

Not one of us knows what tomorrow may bring, good or bad, but what we do know is that we have a choice on how we live "today".

Elizabeth Edwards is an inspiration to us all to live well.