visitation with kids

Old 12-01-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

visitation with kids

My husband is looking at getting his own place, as we are separated and don't know if we will reconcile. He says he is back in recovery but hasn't said how many days he has sober and honestly I have no way to know if he's really back in recovery. He keeps talking about getting a bedroom set up for our 2 year old for visitation. I'm sorry but a few days sober does not equal overnight visits. But my question is what is a good time frame for this? I know it all depends on him individually but how long would you think a person needs to be back in recovery before they could be trusted to have overnight visitation with a toddler?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

That's very difficult to determine. I've been sober for 11 months tomorrow. I have supervised visitation still as I prefer it that way. I'm still getting back on my feet financially and with recovery. I still have a lot of work to do on myself. I know that I'm nowhere near ready to take on the responsibility of having my two little ones for over nights or split custody. I can barely take care of myself right now, let alone my little ones. They're better off with mom at this point in my own sobriety. I love my kids and I will not jeopardize my chances of getting them in the future. But this is my situation and not your ex's.