Got him to rehab-now what?

Old 11-16-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got him to rehab-now what?

My cousin is 26, and had been an addict of many things for over 10 years. Over the past 7 years, it has been mostly opiates. Heroin, pain killers, sedatives, etc. He was on Methadone and had been on Suboxone for 4? years. He has NOT been clean from opiates during his treatments. Lately, he was shooting up opanas.

Things got REALLY bad lately, and I drove him to an inpatient drug rehab program last night. It's a minimum of 21 days, but I fully expect him to be there for 3 months, assuming.

He is scared to get off the suboxone, they are giving him a quick taper of only 7 days. He's really scared that's too soon.

Anyway, what can I do to support him?
Family got him everything he needs while at rehab. What else can I do to help him?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The best thing you can do for him is to leave him alone to do what he needs to do. He is in the hands of professionals who know their job. That's the very best place he could be.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's not much more you can do. He'll be on lockdown for the inpatient treatment. I still can remember my mom visiting and wanting to know if I had a job yet. I wasn't allowed out the building.
They do have visiting days eventually but only so many family members are allowed to visit. You can write and lend him support but that's it. He has to do the rest. I did 90 days, 30 in inpatient and 60 in supportive living. I still wasn't allowed to even walk without a shadow for the first two weeks of sober living.
The rest of this is all his baby to work on and work out. He'll be fine there.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I sent supportive notes, but really it is a time for them to focus on their recovery.He will not be real happy while detoxing for sure, not really much to do..it's up to him now.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

You did all you need to do, you drove him to the treatment center....now allow the staff to do what they do best...teach him how to embrace recovery....
Old 11-16-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is so wonderful that you got him in to treatment.......he's now in the hands of the professionals and his higher power.

What can you do? If the center offers family group sessions, I would highly recommend attending and getting anyone else who loves him there too. When my son went to inpatient treatment four years ago, that's when I finally realized that I needed help too. It was the beginning of MY recovery.

Rest easy.

gentle hugs