Back Again for another person

Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back Again for another person

Hello All. It has been a while since I have posted. But I ofcourse read. I am working the coda steps and am trying to change me but this week threw me through a loop.

I was on here before because of my abf, he has been sober 6 months, doing well, working a program and living in a sober house.

However under my own roof my 17 year old nephew has been shooting up. He would avoid me as I can tell when people are high and he is on house arrest so he is only out for school so we had no clue.

My heart is broken all over again. It is so different this time. With my abf he is an adult, but with my nephew it is hard. I know my mom is not willing to kick him to the curb and she leans on me as I have been sober for 2.5 years in AA. He is in detox and wants to go to a program and I have connections as I am in the program and well liked and people want to help. I just dont want to be a part of his recovery as I feel so much pain from my family. I know selfish right!!!

I just have so many drug addicts around me all the time and I want a break. I needed to vent!!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cmhcali View Post
I just dont want to be a part of his recovery as I feel so much pain from my family. I know selfish right!!!
I think that's protective, though I have no idea what others would say from your side of recovery.

I very recently had to let go of my cousin, another codie, because she was leaning way too hard on me. I was allowing her to compromise my recovery and I had to put a stop to it. I shared resources with her and now it's up to her to take the steps and do the work.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Chino you are right. It is just hard when I have been watching family members struggling with heroin addiction for the past 18 years and I am only 31. I know I have my own issues and dont point the blame but I have never seen a drug as devastating as heroin (that is in my life). I have other cousins that have crack addictions and the stuff they do is scary as well but the heroin addict just scares me...

I have counseling on thursday. I am trying to get out the negative so I can be positive but I am just so beat down emotionally at the moment...
Old 11-15-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

I think you are wise to stay focused on your own recovery and what is right for you. By example, he will learn from you...the "doing" part is up to him.

Hugs
Old 11-15-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Addiction is selfish and recovery needs to be just as selfish. You are doing what you need to do for you.......and that's ok.

gentle hugs