SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Back again!! please read (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/213255-back-again-please-read.html)

Lunaaa 11-12-2010 02:51 PM

Back again!! please read

I've come to this forum a few months ago and went away for a long while i dont know if anyone remembers my story but in short i was in a 3 year relationship wth an addict until yesterday,. Like everyone who is with an addict i tolerated lots of drama and shocks from the day i knew about the drugs ,the lying,the meetings,getting clean several times and the relapses that follow. I tolerated all of it because i was in love with him,addicted to him and couldnt stop using,i also was never able to let go to turn my back on him ,wanted to be there and support him,the fact is i helped him more and more become the person he is now. yesterday we had this big fight because he thinks my friends are turning me on him and that they want us to be apart!!! he used alot of cursing and bad words so i yelled at him to stop,next thing i know was his hand slapping my ear and cheek so hard,he hit my head and slapped me several times,i kept begging him to leave( we were in my car) he said i wont let you leave,i'll keep hitting you if you dont say you're sorry,so i said it i was afraid,he had pushed me a couple of times before but never really hurt me physically,this time i was frightened and for the first time i wondered how come i love him? i was shaking so bad and he was yelling and forcing me to look at him while he spoke i did what he asked but i finally felt i couldnt take it no more,i finally hit bottom,because nomatter how much i love him my mind tells me its wrong to be abused in such way and that he would do it again.anyway i tried to stay calm until i was able to leave and told him i never want to see him again. he's been calling since yesterday and sending me regretting texts saying he didnt know what he was doing and that he loves me. please help me out ,i dont know what to do.

hello-kitty 11-12-2010 03:02 PM

I'm sorry. That's horrible.

First things first. You are doing the right thing by staying away from him and not accepting his pyschotic, manipulating phone calls.

Do you have somewhere safe to stay? Then I suggest turning off your phone. Or changing your number so he can't harrass you. And don't believe it when he says he will never do it again. Famous last words... if you are done with his crap, it doesn't matter what he says. Focus on you. You deserve to feel safe and be treated like a human being. Always. No Matter What.

Calling the police is a good idea. You may not want to because you don't want him to get in trouble, but that is a logical consequence for smacking you around.

Also, read these stickies:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/101496-about-abuse.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/117553-abused-woman.html

Lunaaa 11-12-2010 03:24 PM

I dont know about calling the police i dont want to cause trouble. I'm not answering his phone calls so he text me saying he had an accident,crashed his motorcycle and hit hs bad that they think he is having an internal bleeding and is kept in hospital and wants me to go see him.I dont know what to do ? i have a feeling that he is lying that its just a way for him to get me to call and listen to all the crap he'de be saying and all the emotional abuse that works with me every time ,he knows that the minute he says "i love you,i cant live with you and i know you love and wouldnt leave me" that i'de be running back in his arms. i'm still not answering,is this the right thing to do? what if he is really dying or something? i

Lunaaa 11-12-2010 03:29 PM

You know what i've read those stickies a few months ago and thought to myself he has tendencies to be abusive but thank god he never hit me. The abuse and all that seemed so far,like things that would never happen to me,until yesterday,he did exactly what abusive men do. i dont know how i feel,i'm so confused and scared.

FGB 11-12-2010 03:30 PM

Lunna,
No, do not answer him. He is escalating, and can it get much worse for you?
I don't want to never hear from you again. Leave him, go someplace safe that he doesn't know about. He will take care of himself, don't worry about him, worry about YOU! Take care of you, That's all I can say. Please stay safe. There are so many good people out there, who won't treat you like crap. You deserve that. Leave him. Stay here and talk to us. Read the stickey's above. Stay here. Hugs to you. FGB

Kindeyes 11-12-2010 03:41 PM

Lunaa
Violence is a deal breaker. Period. Please do whatever you need to do to stay safe.

gentle hugs

johndelko408 11-12-2010 03:56 PM

Well I congratulate u on getting out of that. They say the first time is always the hardest. So if you go back to him it will be easier for him to hit you. Not only that if you back to him you basically telling him that its ok, and that you'll forgive him the next time. I'm a male and I was raised to never put my hands on a woman in that way. Women need to be respected for the beautiful beings that are, us men can't bring life into this world, that's something only women can do. God is the creature of all life and created this world. But what do we refer to this world as "MOTHER earth". You stay up and like FGB said there are so many people out there that won't treat you like crap. I'm sure there is a man out there just waiting to treat you the way you deserve to be treated, like a queen placed on a pedestal way high.

Sunshine2 11-12-2010 08:37 PM

Lunaaa, please do not believe him when he promises he will never do it again.

Do not think you are the one that must change to stop him from hitting you.

Men who hit a woman will do it to all their partners.

Know that it will get worse and worse. And worse and worse. You will get addicted to the cycles of being abused and making up (when he will make you feel that you are a queen)

Do not think that he must really, really love you to go to such lengths to get you back.

Do not believe that you have a true connection. Physical abuse seems to be an intimate act and falsely makes you think you are very close to a person.

Be prepared that his attempts to get you back will intensify. It will probably swing between him being very loving, to him being very threatening. Do not give in when you get to a stage where you think going back to him is easier than not.

Know with absolute certainty that your relationship has nothing to do with love and everything to do with control. He accuses your friends because he wants you to stop seeing them. He wants to isolate you so his control over you can be increased.

Run as fast as you can. Go no contact. Don't answer any of his messages. The moment you let him talk to you, he will use all his charm and you will fall for him again.

I considered myself a strong woman and vowed I would never let a man hit me. Yet I stayed with my XH until I finally understood the above to be true.

Angelic17 11-12-2010 08:54 PM

Lunaaa, I'm so sorry to hear that your going through this awful situation. If you go back with this guy, he will continue to hit you. Over and over again. Only a coward hits a woman. A real man would never hurt you, or force you to do somthing you don't want to do. Ignore his calls, change your number, and move on. If you love him so much that you don't want to let go of him, then make sure you love being beat up and abused too. This guy is a mess. He is an addict, and a woman abuser. You can do better sweetie.
Your worth it and deserving of a good man, who will treat you with love and respect. He can't love or respect you, because he doesn't love or respect himself. I sure hope you make the right choice. Ending relationships is never a happy or an easy thing, but something and someone much better is in the near future. If you stay with this bum, you will not be available to meet the right man. Besides, when a man hits a woman, it always gets worse and worse. It's up to you to nip it in the bud. My heart goes out to you. My ex put me through the same thing when I was younger. I am now married to an awesome loving man for the past 25 years. Toughen up and get away from this guy for good. :ghug3

johndelko408 11-12-2010 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by wheredoiturn (Post 2766135)
Know with absolute certainty that your relationship has nothing to do with love and everything to do with control. He accuses your friends because he wants you to stop seeing them. He wants to isolate you so his control over you can be increased.

You know I really have to agree with wheredoiturn on this one. This guy is a control freak, he probably has his feelings of inadequacy and having control over you only empowers him even more. Just do what you have to do to stay as far away from him as possible. You're gonna find someone who's going to treat you right and you'll look back upon this and see what a blessing it was to get out of this situation. Keep your head up you have a bright future ahead of you.

summer017 11-12-2010 10:44 PM

Luna--I am so sorry. You are doing the right thing by staying away. I pray that you will decide to do it for the long run. Physically abuse (as well as emotional) is unacceptable. No one deserves that for any reason. It is not your fault, you didn't ask for it, but unfortunately it's up to you to stop it.

I'm glad you are okay. Things could have been much much worse, and if you choose to continue to keep him in your life--things will get worse, and I don't want that for you or for anyone on this forum.

You know what you have to do. The hard part is putting it into action, internally accepting that there is no going back now. Physical abuse is no joke - Apologies, gifts, etc etc will never make up for it.

'WE ACCEPT THE LOVE WE THINK WE DESERVE' and you deserve so much more. You know that, right?

You're on my mind.
xoxo
Summer

Babyblue 11-12-2010 11:55 PM

Keep him out of your life. Period. There is never justification to hit/abuse anyone. The only way is for him to get some serious counseling around this issue. It isn't just the hitting, but the control and emotional abuse are part of domestic violence. And as others point out, it escalates.

And what he did was illegal. You could press charges, maybe that will be his bottom.

You don't abuse the ones you love.

Lunaaa 11-13-2010 08:36 AM

Reading the words you all wrote brings tears to my eyes ,i came here because i couldnt share the incident with family or friends due to the humilation and confusion i felt since it happened and everytime i tried to talk to someone about it the words refuse to come out but coming here and reading everything you guys wrote has given me much more support than i could get form anyone.

Lunaaa 11-13-2010 08:42 AM

Wheredoiturn,everything you said is so true. I do believe he loves me despite everything he does (how come he hits me and i feel this way?) or is it what i want to believe? and as if it makes everything alright,makes me feel i can forgive anything he does,i justify to myself every violent act and convince myself its out of love and jelousy .i dont know how i reached such point ,i feel it's sick.
I do believe we do have a connection! and i do believe that he wouldnt have hit me if i behaved in a different way!! i know its all sick but i need your help to stop feeling this way.

Lunaaa 11-13-2010 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kindeyes (Post 2765932)
Lunaa
Violence is a deal breaker. Period. Please do whatever you need to do to stay safe.

gentle hugs

You are so right,i know that in my mind but in my heart i ignore all that ,induring and tolerating and telling myself it wasnt that hard,he didnt hit me that hard or maybe he didnt mean to hurt me ,maybe i was hurt because i'm physically weaker than him ( i know how silly i seem but its what i unconsiously tell myself)

Lunaaa 11-13-2010 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by cynical one (Post 2765935)
People with head and internal injuries that are dying in the ER don't make phone calls. Abuse always escalates, if he knocks you around and there are no consequences…next time it will be worse…and it may be you that is really in the ER with head and internal injuries.

Be smart, and stay safe.

Good point! Turns out he there was no bleeding,no bad injuries,he did have an accident but wasnt hurt,just bruises and so( his mom called and told me)

Lunaaa 11-13-2010 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Angelic17 (Post 2766152)
If you love him so much that you don't want to let go of him, then make sure you love being beat up and abused too.

I'm afraid to be this kind of person

Lunaaa 11-13-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by summer017 (Post 2766197)
You know what you have to do. The hard part is putting it into action, internally accepting that there is no going back now.

I'm so scared of letting him go.like you said i have to internally accept that there is no going back,its so hard to do so,it's like i KNOW its what i should do,i'm just too weak to do the hard and right thing. i remember all the good thins he used to do and the great person i thought he was,the person i fell in love with and how happy i used to feel with him and just cant accept to throw it all away. its the only true thing i have ever felt for anyone.