Is there a pt where you don't detox?

Old 11-12-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FGB

Is there a pt where you don't detox?

I'm still amazed that while at jail last weekend, my AS didn't get sent to the hospital for horrible dt's. He blew .33 before they took him (woke him from being passed out) and was there for 4 nights.
I used to work in the jail, so checked twice with x coworkers to see if he was detoxing and/or being sent to the hospital. Even though they were watching him; he never appeared to be sick.
This kid has been drinking since at least 16, he's 26 now. He drinks straight vodka along with beer. LOTS of it, and daily. I've also seen him drink straight mouthwash.
Any clues why he didn't detox for 4 nights? Does the body finally give up? Was .33 enough to hold him over til he got out? I just don't understand. Any answers opinions or experiences are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
FGB
Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FGB

And just wanted to add, I'm NOT thinking that if he didn't detox, then he's not that bad. I know he's my raging AS. (I used to think, when you guys wrote RAS or RAD; that you were saying raging addicted or alcoholic son or daughter; had to keep reading to figure out it meant recovering!! lol ) Just wanted to clarify that!! Thanks all.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

I drank lots too.. over a fifth of vodka in secret, on top of the 4-5 DOUBLES I'd order at the bar, for a much longer amount of time.

I had a day long hangover after I was sent to the ER with a .568 BAC, and then was fine..totally fine.

Almost made me think I couldn't have been that bad off.. and I drank again 3 weeks later, convinced of it. Scary stuff. and it all effects us differently.. if you read in the stories on the alcoholism page, everyone's detox story is quite different.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer as to why he didn't go through serious alcohol withdrawals.

Everyone's system and tolerance are different.

My sponsor sobered up in his 30's, was a daily heavy bourbon drinker, and didn't go through DT's.

He woke up in jail in Chicago and was facing 47 felony counts . I don't recall how many days he was in jail.

My question is, are you taking care of yourself?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FGB

Thanks. I thought dt's were just a given. Yes, I'm taking care of me, thanks!! This has just been in the back of my mind, popping to the front now and then, and I thought I would ask. Actually, today, I've been working on my apt, getting it organized and cleaned up, getting ready for tomorrows snow storm, filling up gas tank, etc. all just for me. Plus I bought myself some bubble bath which I haven't done in over 10 years. And I didn't flinch, when I bought it, I just DID it!! Also got the book Codependant no more, and will start it later tonight when done w/apartment!! I never flinch when I buy a book, I love books!! Thanks for checking on me!! FGB
Old 11-12-2010, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You will loce Codependant No More..I finally had a name for wha=t what i was and what i did.GOod for you for taking care of business and treating yourself..hope your bath was awesome!
Old 11-13-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((FGB)))))

Everyone is different, sad to say. I personally went into grand mal seizures with heart stoppage when my BAC dropped to .38. Long story, been told here before.

On the other hand, as hard a HARD CORE 24/7 drinker that I was for years, there were old timers in the meetings that called me a 'light weight'.

On a 12 step call fairly early in my sobriety, we had a bottle a wine a day gal go into seizures ...................... at the hospital she was .18.

Your son will reach his bottom when he reaches it.

More important is that you TAKE CARE OF YOU. Set your own personal boundaries on interaction with him, and please please remember:

You didn't CAUSE this.

You can't CURE this.

and

You can't CONTROL this.

Each alkie and/or addict has to come to their own bottom. This one did, then 3 years into recovery found out I was also a Codie, roflmao.

I have to tell you that was many years ago. I also have to tell you that I do believe Al-Anon has been a lot more instrumental in me living my life to its fullest than AA. AA gave me the basics, Al-Anon gave me deeper perspective!!!!!!

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing as we do care so very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-13-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FGB View Post
Thanks. I thought dt's were just a given. Yes, I'm taking care of me, thanks!! This has just been in the back of my mind, popping to the front now and then, and I thought I would ask. Actually, today, I've been working on my apt, getting it organized and cleaned up, getting ready for tomorrows snow storm, filling up gas tank, etc. all just for me. Plus I bought myself some bubble bath which I haven't done in over 10 years. And I didn't flinch, when I bought it, I just DID it!! Also got the book Codependant no more, and will start it later tonight when done w/apartment!! I never flinch when I buy a book, I love books!! Thanks for checking on me!! FGB
You can keep that snow up in Minnesota for awhile! *shivers*

I love taking bubble baths, and I light a couple of candles to set on the tub too.

I hope that book helps. It's one that opened up my eyes for sure.