Not sure who I am more aggravated with right now.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure who I am more aggravated with right now.

When AD called to let me know she was being evicted, she mentioned going with a new cell phone plan. I knew that she and my granddaughter were sharing a plan with someone she knew prior, and I suspected something was up when she called from a number I didn't recognize. I didn't ask questions to be frank, because I just don't care.

She's had a nasty habit of running from bills for years now. I've gotten calls from dentist offices, doctor's offices, utility companies, cable companies, and hospitals because she keeps putting me down as a contact.

Every one of these places who have called have understood when I explained that I was her mother, she did not live in the same town, and if I were to hear from her, I would pass the message on.

Four days in a row now I have gotten a call from Verizon. Apparently that's who she did have the cell phone through.

Every day it has been the same damned conversation. I explain the situation, and that yes, I will pass the message on should AD contact me. They apologize for bothering me, but they bother me again the next day.

I understand they want their money.

Is there anything confusing in what I tell them every day, what I have shared here with you?

Do I have any recourse for these calls day after day?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was getting that stuff with xah. I finally had to NOT be his secretary and forward them HIS number instead of relaying a message. I had to get hatey with them about bothering me. Finally stopped. Either that, or I would give them MIL's number (tee hee )

Edited to add - I did threaten to call the Better Business Bureau on a few that wouldn't stop calls. He did not live here, hadn't lived here, I relayed the info that I had to them. That nipped it.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callie View Post
I was getting that stuff with xah. I finally had to NOT be his secretary and forward them HIS number instead of relaying a message. I had to get hatey with them about bothering me. Finally stopped. Either that, or I would give them MIL's number (tee hee )

Edited to add - I did threaten to call the Better Business Bureau on a few that wouldn't stop calls. He did not live here, hadn't lived here, I relayed the info that I had to them. That nipped it.
Thanks Callie. If I did have a number to give them, I would!

No MIL I can give a number for either!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can give you my MIL's number if you'd like to give them hers...... Hmmmm, maybe I need to go pull up that 'forgiveness' thread again??

XAH owes Verizon $ too. They are a relentless PITA.

Threaten with contacting BBB. Nobody wants to mess with BBB. You did your part, if they keep on it with you (which they will if you are the only contact to get to her) flatly tell them you're done. Worked for me. My phone doesn't ring anymore @ all for him. Really it doesn't.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you personally don't have the plan or business with them you can go on the do not call registry and repeat that to them the next time they call. I think it's a federal offense to be harrassed by callers. I know this situation is different but you don't have a thing to do with the plan or their business, you were what just a contact number? I think what they are doing is illegal.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by meditation View Post
If you personally don't have the plan or business with them you can go on the do not call registry and repeat that to them the next time they call. I think it's a federal offense to be harrassed by callers. I know this situation is different but you don't have a thing to do with the plan or their business, you were what just a contact number? I think what they are doing is illegal.
I am on the no call list. I was listed as a contact number on her account apparently.

The first person who called said he would make a note that I had nothing to do with the account, and not to call anymore.

I repeat the same thing every day, and today I did get short with them, told them this was the 4th time I had been called, and I was tired of it.

If they call again, I will make it clear I will call the Better Business Bureau.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
To say I hated anything and everything to do with Verizon would be putting it mildly. Since January, I have spent over 24 hours on the phone and have written 8 letters trying to correct a mistake that is 100% theirs.

Now they want to run FIOS across my property but need me to sign legal forms for them to do so. They have tried contacting me many times, by phone, by mail, and now by certified mail. I'm thinking January 2012 I may pencil them in for a response.

No, nothing you say to them will make them do their jobs or stop harassing you.
Holy cow, CO! I'd vote for January 2013 after that!
Old 11-12-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ahhh Verizon, words fail to describe how much I hate thee....

An alternative is to BBB involve the states attorney's office they levy fines in cases of impropriety. Get 'em where it hurts!

Document everything the next time the call, tell them that what they are doing is harassment and it stops now or you are reporting them to the state.

Contact your state (department of consumer affairs or board of public utilities) and report them for harassment - many companies have been fined heavily for shady business practices in debt collections.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((DeVon))) - I agree with the BBB, but I'd probably also say "if you continue to harrass me, I'll call my lawyer and see if HE can get you to stop". I don't even HAVE a lawyer, but the few times I've been constantly called, just the mention of it stopped them.

I kept getting calls about a bill for a friend of mine (she had me listed as a contact) and I told them I didn't know where she is, other than she's running from the law (she is) and I don't associate with criminals Amazingly, it worked!

Also, instead of talking to whoever calls, you may want to ask for the supervisor. Sometimes the supervisor can take care of stuff that gets missed when so many people are making the calls.

Makes me glad I settled on the account I owed Verizon, a couple of years ago

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-13-2010, 03:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
Ahhh Verizon, words fail to describe how much I hate thee....

An alternative is to BBB involve the states attorney's office they levy fines in cases of impropriety. Get 'em where it hurts!

Document everything the next time the call, tell them that what they are doing is harassment and it stops now or you are reporting them to the state.

Contact your state (department of consumer affairs or board of public utilities) and report them for harassment - many companies have been fined heavily for shady business practices in debt collections.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Just wasnted to second this. Plus, there is a wee bit more to it, but this Nerdgirl's stuff was the part I was forgetting...(lolol). With the above you have who will help you. Now here's some help on how to start to get some stuff 'on' these grrrrrrrrr n@#$%^^

I worked in Consumer Service, in banking, and dealt closely with debt collectors.....and believe me, most (if not all) threats don't bother them atall. However there are some steps that can help you get to what nerdgirl was referring to above.....

When she's saying 'document' I would suggest, getting an address for the folks who are calling (Verizon or whatever outside collection agency it is). Second, write a detailed letter to them regarding their calls and the whole situation (you're the mother, these re NOT your debts; you're NOT responsible; she doesn't live with you; you don't know where she is; etc., etc., etc.). Obviously make a copy of this for yourself, and then mail it off to the collectors, but be sure to mail it.....: Certified; Return Receipt Requested; this means that they must sign for it, and you get the signed receipt to show that they received your letter (no wiggle-room for 'em).

Then......if you still get calls; document them, and one at a time, send this info to.......just as Nerdgirl suggested.....believe me, this will result in the fines (they have no excuse; they were warned....!...you have the evidence), and not just fines for the companies, but $$ for you too, for each illegal contact to you.

I hope this helps some. I know it may sound like a lot, but in the long run it may seem like a little for the peace you should receive.....and you should have peace after this.....and BTW, threatening collections........HAH; those guys ('n gals too) could care less. They know it's a 'David vs Goliath' game, and in this one, Goliath always wins.....But they can be dealt with; it just takes time and patience.

.....'n BTW, I am truly sorry you're going through all this mess; bad enough when I was going through it.....and they were my own debts. BUT.....keep the faith.....!!!

(o:
NoelleR

P.S. Anybody see 20/20 (ABC) Friday night...? They had a 20 minute segment on the Better Business Bureau.....what a joke it's becoming; too powerful for its pants, it seems.....It often happens that if a business chooses not to 'join' the BBB, then they rarely garner 'A' ratings (almost a 'guarantee' if one joins); in fact, one fellow received a 'C' and when he complained and asked how/why, and what he could do to improve.....his rating was changed.....to an 'F' hmmmmm Also, Wolfgang Puck, and all his restaurants.....'F'....he also refuses to join.....It's a shame. In the past, this was an organization a consumer could go to and trust for their information and help......and now.....? grrrrrr, don't get me started..... (oh, I guess I've already started.....and gone on, and on, and on......time to stop)......... (o:
Old 11-13-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I have found that when I threatened legal action for harassment, the calls, letters and contact just stopped.

An alternative might be to send the an e-mail or registered letter (so it is documented) telling them the same in writing.

Good luck. It's a heart-breaker when their consequences fall on our doorstep.

Hugs
Old 11-13-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
BBD

I am on Time Warner for my phone,tv and internet connections. You can call them and block numbers..Not sure who your carrier is but I would give that a try...Good luck, Bonnie
Old 11-13-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bonnie, I'm with AT&T/Southwestern Bell.

No phone call today, yet.

We'll see.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Freedom-
Been there.. done that. Sure is a challenge, moving on with your day, when this crap keeps happening.
First concern of mine?
Cell phone companies, do not ask for next of kin. Make sure, you are not in anyway responsible for that bill.

These people are working.. bill collectors.
I respect that they need to make money, but IF a company they work for, doesn't have the- or choose to spend their money on technology, that would STOP them, from harrassing you.
Their problem.

Not nice to them- but I look at it this way, you tried to be polite, nice, respectful.
Now time to take care of you!!

Next time someone calls to ask for your help. (they are getting paid, on every dollar they collect. Do something for yourself, like clean the bathroom and just keep them on the phone for as long as you can! Talk away. When they "nicely" start by asking you how you are.
Don't you have some ache or pain, to share with them?

Then give them the number- of someone at verizon. The higher the better!
Tell them, you don't know where your daughter is, but "Joe Blow, may know more about her whereabouts, the people she knows, then YOU!
Heck- they do have the number of everyone she has ever called, or her called her!

I recommend, the ceo's secretary. CFO's. CIO's.
Bet you get removed from the computer call list in a hurry! :rotfxko

This did work for me!
I would have preferred to not have been involved. I asked them, not to call me again.
After 3 times... I now decide to be nice to me!
Old 11-14-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Freedom, I would tell them that you don't know where she is, and it's not your responsiblity. Furthermore, I would tell them that YOUR ATTORNEY said that if they needed refrences, they should have called the refrences to verify that contacting you in the future is acceptable. Reiterate to them that your ATTORNEY will be contacting them if they continue to call you-- as you did NOT give YOUR permission to be listed as a contact.

(permission, and lawyers will do the trick) Trust me on this one. They can not violate your right to peace and quiet because someone put your name down without your PERMISSION!

((hugs))
Love,
Cess
Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No phone calls for two days now. However I will not hold my breath!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm still laughing at ((Stilllearning1's)) idea. Can't you just see it - they ask how you are and you say "I'm working on this coding problem with school..are you familiar with the ICD-10 program? You know, it's just hard sometimes to get the right code for the right diagnosis, and don't even get me started on how doctors document things. On top of that, my back is killing me from sitting at this computer all day, and the weather is just making my bones ache. You know, I've been working on getting disability for a while, and.........."

Don't let them get a word in, and they'll probably hang up on you and mark her file as "do NOT call her mother!!!!!"

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-15-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Freedom: Every day for the last 4 years, 6 to 7 calls come here looking for my AS. Even if he did not put this number on the original contract with these companies, they just go into his old records and can easily connect him to this number.

At first I answered all these calls and explained the situation. It did not stop them. I offered them his cell phone number. They said it was their policy not to take it. I contacted the Federal government agency that takes these complaints. Turns out that is all they do - give me a little box like the one I'm typing in now to spew my complaint. They do not investigate anything - they just compile statistics based on people's complaints.

Yes, I could call BBB and spend hours dealing with that. But it turns out that debt collection companies will try to collect on a debt and then eventually sell it to another debt collection agency - so the whole cycle starts all over again for me.

So now I just don't answer those calls - or anything that I do not recognize on the caller ID. I get all the important calls that I really need to get because people leave messages. Also, I return all the mail that comes here in my son's name. Somebody told me that if i continue to keep the mail that comes in his name from these debt collection companies then they assume that my son lives here. So I'm hoping returning his mail will help stop this.

That's my way of dealing with it.