My dad just told me I am an addict?

Old 11-07-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry My dad just told me I am an addict?

My dad just informed me that I am an addict? Talk about being floored he basically told me I am not much better than my husband because my doctors have had me on valium for years. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not see myself as an addict. I started taking valium when I was 25, I am now 45.

The prescription is written 90 ten mg, valium a month to be taken 1 three times a day. I have never taken 3 in one day. I usually average one whole a day and that is by taking it ½ at a time.

Can I do without the valium I have no clue, haven’t tried have just tried to not take many because I know it can be addicting. I do not take any other medications that are narcotic. I do not run out and buy any off the streets, I always have a lot left at the end of the renewal time.

This, coming from a man who lived in a bar almost all my life and who smokes marijuana daily, his wife started taking xanax (spelling) after her son died in April 2009 and he doesn’t know she is, still getting refills. Also, they do buy pain medications from people on occasion for his back pain and her migraines?

His question to me was how long have you been taking them I replied about 20 years then his response was and you think your not addicted?

I can’t believe his way of thinking or am I fooling myself am I a form of an addict?

Then he told me that my AH is selling pills to my AS which I find hard to believe but not impossible.
I am so confused right now…
Old 11-07-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Crazybaby,
You are talking your prescription as prescribed by your doctor.
This is a ploy addicts use to distract from their own addictions.
I am not a doctor, but I do know some addicts, and you do not sound like one to me.
Talk to your doctor asap, if you have any questions about this.
You may be dependent, such as I am dependent on my effexor to keep my depression at bay, but, if you are not using it to get high or check out, I would not worry.
Any worries, talk to your doctor, not to an active addict with an axe to grind.

Beth
Old 11-07-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Beth I have an appointment with my doctors nurse on Tuesday and I will be asking her that. I have a diagnosis of Bi-polar and panic attacks with agoraphobia, so I know what you mean about the effexor. I do take meds for the Bi-polar as well.

His thinking just floored me and really made me sad I am co-dependant and my dad was never there for me as a kid and I already walk on egg shells to keep him in my life if one disagrees with him he will shut you out and never allow you back in.

Why I feel the need to have his validation about everything is beyound me. I have alot more work to do than I realized.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think prescribed meds would be fine...Surely your doctor knows you have been taking them for the length of time that you have.....Me....I can't sleep without benadryl....Not just one or two occasionally....More like three or four nightly....I would love something stronger, but I know I would like it too much. I have struggled with this question over the years...Would it be better to get a script for ambien? or continue to take the benadryl? I don't take it as it is prescribed...so I'm an addict too....Benadryl support group...here I come...
Old 11-07-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I go to my local mentah health center and have had the same doctor for 20 years there. So yes he is aware of what I am prescribed.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exactly what cynical said, withdrawing abruptly from benzo's can cause seizures. Talk with your doctor about this and get his opinion.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Crazy baby you are taking what is prescribed by a medical professional. I was prescribed it too before I told my doctor I was an addict. Know what I did? I saved up all the pills and took them all at once to get a better buzz and when they ran out and I wasn't prescribed more I bought them illegally and took 10X the dose I had previously been prescribed. THAT is addictive behaviour and that is why I told my Doctor to never gove me valium again, or anything else that is habit forming. If I could have just followed the rules I could have stayed clean yet had those pills for when I really needed them, but I ruined it for myself! I am 5 months clean now though. Man I still miss those little guys! listen to your Doctor, not people's opinions xx Hugs xx
Old 11-08-2010, 04:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"What other people think of me is none of my business"

My mom can be very critical, I have spent years enforcing boundaries and teaching her that she cannot talk to me that way.

(I think my younger siblings should pay me for re-training her! LOL )
Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

cb
Medications are not "bad", it's the way people abuse them that can be bad. Pain meds are not "bad" but they can certainly be abused. The same with valium or xanax. You are surrounded by addiction, I'd keep a close eye on those pills to keep someone else from abusing them or selling them.

If you have any concerns at all about yourself though, it is definitely a good idea to bring those concerns up with your doctor. Other people can express concerns but they aren't qualified to assess anyone.

gentle hugs
Old 11-08-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is how I think of it ..I was on Ambian..prescribed for sleep.I never exceeded my dosage, never took it during the day, didn't crave it.But, I was completely dependant on them..when I stopped I had withdrawls and it was awful. Just learning more about addiction I realized that I didn't want to be on anything habit forming so my Dr. switched me to a non-habit forming sleep aid.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
cb
Medications are not "bad", it's the way people abuse them that can be bad. Pain meds are not "bad" but they can certainly be abused. The same with valium or xanax. You are surrounded by addiction, I'd keep a close eye on those pills to keep someone else from abusing them or selling them.
gentle hugs
I have called my pharmacy to make it too where I am the only one who can pick up any of my medications. Now that it is a new day and I reread this post I know for myself I am not an addict I am dependant on the valium they do exactly what the doctor prescribed them for. (panic Attacks/agoraphobia)

I was just so hurt last night after talking to my dad who for some reason I always value his opinion can you say codie lol...

Thanks everyone for helping me through this.

I won't be calling my dad for awhile while I work on me, he throws me into tail spins.

The original nature of the call was to get his opinion on if to tell my AS who is in jail about what his father is doing because son wrote me asking how everyone was etc... and he had some things he wanted me to tell his dad.

My dad also told me being an outsider looking in my life was comicl, I responded well being inside it isan't comical at all

Hugs,
Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My dad made the comment last year that if I had God in my life, I wouldn't need antidepressants.

Words spoken from someone out of sheer ignorance in regards to clinical depression, and who thinks his way is the only way to God.

Did it hurt? Yes. He is my dad, and I love him in spite of his shortcomings.

There is that part of me, that little girl inside, who still wants to be validated by her parents.

I have to be careful and nurture that little girl myself, and not turn to my parents for validation.

I'm sorry for your pain, hon.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Some days we need to put cotton in our ears to block out foolish statements like that.

You are under your doctor's supervision, it helps what ails you with no harmful effects. There is nothing wrong with that and everything right.

I take HRT (hormone replacement therapy). "They" say that after 5 years I should stop. I did and I was miserable. My doctor asked me why I stopped (when I went for a renewal), and told me that I am extremely low risk of breast cancer so not anymore likely to get it from taking hormones. I was higher risk of colon cancer (my father died of that) and that hormones protect against it, and also against osteoporosis (for which I am high risj).

My point is that it's your doctor who should be advising you...and not one single other person. After consulting with your doctor, procede without guilt, you owe nobody an explanation.

Hugs
Old 11-08-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree with the others that it is best to talk to your doctor about it. Your doctor knows what you are on. You are not trading pills, or lying to your doctor (or others) about use. There have been times in my past when I've been on anxiety drugs, and I'm currently on an anti-depressant. I do not consider myself an addict.

It is a good idea to make sure that your AS is not getting a hold of any of your pills. My addicted step-daughter got a hold of some of my Xanax once. I found out only when it showed up on her urine test. Her probation officer asked her where she got them, and she had stolen a couple from me. I had known that she was on probation for underaged drinking, but I had never imagined that she would take one of my pills.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Addicts love telling other people they are addicts...

...and there are sometimes fine lines between addiction and not in my opinion. Either way it's not his business to judge you, take your inventory, or focus on you and your use of anything. He was completely out of line. In that situation consider shutting him down and refusing to answer his questions.

My 90+ days sober wife has a xanax prescription her doctor gave her when she went into treatment. Occasionally, when she is feeling really stressed, she takes them. When she takes them is she relapsing? She herself isn't sure. Her doctor says no. Her treatment center guy thinks yes. Her sponsor says no. The legal system says no. Based on how rarely she takes them and her behavior on a day to day basis I say no. What's the answer? I don't know and I don't care. I know what she was like when she was drinking and I know what she is like now. That's all I care about.

Does your valium use keep you from doing what you want to do, being with whom you want to be, and living your life the way you want to live it? If so, maybe it's a problem. If not, I don't see how it's a problem.

Full disclosure, I love valium. I won't get on a plane without 5mg. If I had a prescription I'd probably take them every time my wife or daughter pissed me off (which pretty much means all the time). I took 15 milligrams when I flew to Europe with my dad. It was awesome-- I didn't have to talk to him the whole way. I don't have a prescription and don't want it enought to try and get one, but if I did...

Lastly, if you live with an alcoholic addict it may be best to have your medication/valium located in a place where he has no access to it. Valium is worth a lot of money ($20 or more for a 10mg pill), is addictive for many people, and is not easy to get. He could very well be selling it, especially if you don't pay attention to how much you have, or if you leave it where he can get at it. He is, after all, an alcoholic. You don't actually trust him do you? Your prescription is for a whole lot of valium-- I'm fairly certain no doctor would prescribe that much today, and if you really take as much as you say and renew monthly then simple math says a lot of it is disappearing.

Hide thy valium!

Take what you want and leave the rest.

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by crazybabie View Post

My dad just informed me that I am an addict? Talk about being floored he basically told me I am not much better than my husband because my doctors have had me on valium for years. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not see myself as an addict. I started taking valium when I was 25, I am now 45.

The prescription is written 90 ten mg, valium a month to be taken 1 three times a day. I have never taken 3 in one day. I usually average one whole a day and that is by taking it ½ at a time.

Can I do without the valium I have no clue, haven’t tried have just tried to not take many because I know it can be addicting. I do not take any other medications that are narcotic. I do not run out and buy any off the streets, I always have a lot left at the end of the renewal time.

This, coming from a man who lived in a bar almost all my life and who smokes marijuana daily, his wife started taking xanax (spelling) after her son died in April 2009 and he doesn’t know she is, still getting refills. Also, they do buy pain medications from people on occasion for his back pain and her migraines?

His question to me was how long have you been taking them I replied about 20 years then his response was and you think your not addicted?

I can’t believe his way of thinking or am I fooling myself am I a form of an addict?

Then he told me that my AH is selling pills to my AS which I find hard to believe but not impossible.
I am so confused right now…