Can they ever quit on their own???

Old 11-07-2010, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can they ever quit on their own???

Can they quit w/o a support system..like AA or NA?
Do you know of anyone that has ever done this successfully?
My AS quit H on his own for 3 months and was great...now of course another relapse...
He says he did it once and he can do it again...
Yah right...

I do think it would be physically possible...but not mentally...
Someone on here also stated that only 1 in 100 H users successfully quit...
Is that accurate as well?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Many quit on their own or without the help of a program like AA or Smart Recovery or any other program. In fact, I believe most do.

My personal experience is that the most successful quitters I know did so with the help of some support or program. There are a number who used SR here, and it helped them. Others used AA or another program and some learned just from those who went before them, maybe using counseling also, and it helped.

Any program for quitting is about as successful as the addict's willingness to work it and the level of their desire to stay sober.

Hope this helps.

Hugs
Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I believe many quit on their own, they get sick of the life, they get sick of the consequences. It always helps to have a support system, but the addict has to really want to quit. It helps to have goals, for some it means getting things back and hopefully they learn how to maintain sobriety without a relapse while they are busy getting material possessions back like driver licenses, homes, cars. Many want their children back, that is a very worthy goal. the best goals are those that help the consciousness, soul, spirit to encounter change, not just getting "stuff" back.
It's not a physical battle after the withdrawls cease, it's a deep mental battle. The addict has learned to use the drug as a security blanket for dealing with life. It's easy to quit drugs. It's hard to stay quit.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Another mom sending support. I know the heartache of having a heroin addicted son.
My son went through 18 mo. treatment program...stayed sober another 6 mos. by steadfastly working the AA/NA program.
As soon as he stopped working his program he relapsed with horrific outcome.

Keep hope alive that your son can change.
Stay as close to him as possible to keep encouraging him in his efforts to change.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, I could not quit and stay quit without a support system.

Do I think it's possible for some? Yes.

Is your son one of those?

I don't know.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In my real life experience of knowing many drug and alcohol users over many years most do not quit on their own, most dont quit at all...but the ones that do definitely need face to face help in some shape or form...hope your son wants it soon:-)
Old 11-07-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know the answer to your question but as another Mother of an adult son addicted to drugs, I want to add my support for you.

gentle hugs
Old 11-07-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

WI,

So sorry your heart is under attack.

I guess some quit w/out a program or group or education.

I know some quit with, then relapse later.

The bottom line, is whether yours will or not. And that's something none of us knows.

Hugs and wishes for peace to you...
Old 11-07-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello WI

This is only my experience. I don't think my AD could have quit on her own. Her DOC was oxys. I watched her try. She struggled, and she could not stay away from it while on the outside. She went to detox twice within a month. Then she went into a in-house program for 5 months. For her, that was the only way. She has been out of rehab for a month now. She goes to SOME meetings, and goes to counseling once a week. She has a site she uses on the computer and she talks to alot of people in recovery. Sometimes I wonder if that will be enough. I pray that it will be.

I hope your son finds his way.

Gotahavfaith
Old 11-07-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My daughter went to both out and inpatient rehab plus individual treatment w/addictionologist, then private treatment only, and now 12 step meetings just about every day unless she's sick, plus ongoing private treatment. What she does now appears to be having the greatest impact. She knows she needs guidance and willingly accepts it now.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There's a difference between quitting and finding recovery. A huge difference. I quit using many times... over and over and over... without the help of a program. And I would relapse over and over and over and over again. Quitting is the easy part. Staying quit takes work, commitment, and some kind of program of recovery. What that program looks like can vary from person to person.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

IMO I agree with hello-kitty...at least in my daughters case, she tried quitting many times, even was in a program many times....there finally came the time that SHE was trully ready to do everything possible in the name of RECOVERY. As she states there is being clean and there is Recovery. She is currently coming up on 10 months in recovery, has a great sponsor, good program, good network, very involved with her church and has just finished her 4th step. As stated by others, every one is different.

Hugs from another Mom.
Chris
Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went to meetings at one time, don't go now, but still use what I learned there. Like ((Kitty)), I quit a lot of times, but finally realized there was more work to do.

I depend on SR and the friends I've made here, a lot, for my recovery "program". I have family who is supportive, though they would detach, in a major way, if I were to ever use again.

Recovery is almost like learning to live, all over again. If we want it bad enough, I believe we find a way.

BTW, I've heard that "people just don't get off of crack", too, but ((Kitty)) and I, and many others, are living proof that they're wrong.

I pray that your son finds his way to recovery. I put my family through he!!, and I really hate to see another parent go through what mine did. I've said it many times, but I will forever be grateful that they let me fall on my face and find a way to get back up.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-07-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My heroin addicted daughter who is in early recovery tried on her own to quit. She just told me the other day that she can't do it alone, she needs her program and that she doesn't feel like it can be done alone. Now that is an 18 yr. old addicts opinion..so take it for what its worth. What I know is I couldn't recover from my codependency on my own and only started to get better when I found a program.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My son is addicted to Heroin. He has been in jail, rehab, and sober living and was clean for about 11 months this last time. In his last program he had a therapist, sponsor, sober friends, went to meetings, and worked a spiritual/religious program. Got a girlfriend oustside the program, who, although not addicted, does drink and smoke weed.Stayed out overnight at her house, saying no bus to get back,and violated curfew at the rehab. He was asked to leave the program which made him angry and hurt. Having a job at that time only gave him the money he needed to start using again, within a week or two after he left. Now he's still struggling...on and off again..but the desire and the need is still greater than his wanting to stop. Like others said, the bottom line in the addict being sick and tired of the life and wanting to stop. Without that, as is my son's case, all the meetings, rehab, doctors, therapists, etc are only a temporary band aid.

It's also really important that one in recovery be careful how they manage money and how accessible they make it to themselves. They also say to be careful about getting into relationships when newly sober and still working on recovery. One really has to start over with a clean slate and relearn how to live without drugs.

If one is wanting to stop, meetings really do help. They help one keep more honest with themselves and remember how horrific their life had become when using when they hear others' experiences. The support in there is powerful and for many it works. It's easy for the addict's mind to trick and delude them and justify using, which is why meetings and having a sponsor can really prevent that.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My AH (DOC heroin) stopped on his own 9 years ago before I met him. He left his home also and moved here. He did have the desire to stop but has relapsed and now knows that he has to have support, meetings etc. He goes to see a counselor weekly, a psychiatrist monthly, NA meetings and has scheduled to have a Naltrexone implant put in for next week. This is my personal experience with how strongly someone has to want to stop. He is willing to put an implant in himself for 2 months at a time and go back and get them again while working the program.