Old 11-06-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Enjoying Life - Language of Letting Go

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Enjoying Life

Do something fun today.

If you're relaxing, let yourself relax, without guilt, without worrying about the work that is undone.

If you're with loved ones, let yourself love them, and let them love you. Let yourself feel close.

Let yourself enjoy your work, for that can be pleasurable too.

If you're doing something fun, let yourself enjoy it.

What would feel good? What would you enjoy? Is there a positive pleasure available? Indulge.

Recovery is not solely about stopping the pain. Recovery is about learning to make ourselves feel better; then it's about making ourselves feel good.

Enjoy your day.

Today, I will do something fun, something I enjoy, and something just for me. I will take responsibility for making myself feel good.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Before recovery I was too distracted by my obsession with saving my son to have fun. I think I would have felt guilty having fun while he suffered in his disease.

Even in early recovery, when I tried to have fun...I discovered that I didn't know how!! It had been so long since I had thought about what might be fun for ME, that I truly had no idea how to have fun.

My sponsor helped me with this. A group from my meeting met for a movie and coffee once a week, and I was invited. It was summer and we walked before the movie, talking and laughing...and having "fun". Who knew it could be this easy?

Having fun is a great stress reliever, and a good distraction from our obsessions.

Read a good book that will take your mind someplace else, meet friends for coffee or lunch or a movie, walk in nature and take time to really notice the beauty, redecorate a small space in your house just for fun (doesn't have to be expensive)...just anything that is fun and will make you smile.

So how are you going to have fun this weekend? What one thing can you do to take your mind to a better place?

I double dog dare ya to share.

Hugs
Old 11-06-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, perfect timing I am feeling really horrible right now. The horrible feelings are not going to go away and they will be there later to deal with I guess. I am going to take my girls out today and get our nails done. Maybe after that they will not be so hard to deal with
Old 11-06-2010, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Good for you, LC. In days to come the girls will remember the fun you had today, and my guess is that not one of you will remember the dark mood.

Have fun with the girls!!

Hugs