Thank Yous?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Thank Yous?

I have a question and though I'm not really sure many of you have ever been in the situation of helping another kid out when you know their parents are addicts/alcoholics or not but I was thinking about the thing I posted a few days ago and I feel like I should thank my best friend's parents for how much they've really done for me, throughout my childhood/teenage years. They've always opened their home to me, and made me feel like one of their own whenever I was there. Lifted my spirits and just gave me some much-needed encouragement every now and then. I love them a lot, and they have no idea the impact they've actually had in my life. I don't think I'd be half as good as I am today if I had not had them in my life (not saying I'm great, but it coulda been worse). They never really knew about my dad's addiction/why my mom left me behind up until the end there, when my dad died, but they did understand when something was not right with me or my household and when I needed that extra something. Basically, they understood what I couldn't when I was young. I am forever grateful to know them and to be a part of their life.

So my question is if that would be a weird thing to do? Would it make you feel awkward if you got a letter thanking you for opening your home and providing a stable environment for you when maybe your parents couldn't...?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Me, personally? It would mean a LOT to me, if I got a letter like that....no weird feelings at all. You never know when they may be having a bad day, and knowing that they are loved and appreciated can turn that bad day around.

I know my dad teared up when I wrote him a "thank you" letter, and it's something he's saved. I think parents are often taken for granted, in a way, and knowing how much of an impact they've had on you can only be a good thing. I'm sure they're very proud of you, just as we all are.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OMG.. I would LOVE to get a letter like that.We had our son's best friend live here for a while.Similar situation. How amazing for them that you really appreciate the normalcy they gave you.I am sure they did know something was going on. They sound like great people and what could be better than showing gratitude? I absolutely say..write it..send it..
Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jay, it does my heart good to know that there are wonderful people like you in the world. You are so good, such a sweetheart. I would be proud to have had you as a son. I think they would appreciate a letter like that, i know I would. Hope all is well with you , are you still at the pet store? (((Jay)))
Old 11-05-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree, not only that you have turned out to be a great young man but that if i were that person I would love to know that you cared and what I did mattered.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

I don't know, I guess I'm just kinda afraid to write it and send it cause they might be all "Whoa, this is weird, why is he writing us this?" I just don't want to make it awkward is all...

And thanks ((med)) - I'm working at animal shelter now, I had to dump the pet store cause I moved further away a while ago. Then I worked at a library (what a terrible job) and now I work at the animal shelter. I like this job way better than anything else so far!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

what an awesome gift that would be!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish I could hug you right now. Letting others know that they've made a difference in the world is a beautiful gift
Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Jason!

I think it would be a wonderful and thoughtful gesture. If you are worried about coming across as too much, perhaps just a card telling them briefly and sincerely how much their kindness means to you.

Hugs, HG
Old 11-05-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Speak from your heart, Jason, and send it. It's a nice thing to do.

Hugs
Old 11-05-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Speak from your heart, Jason, and send it. It's a nice thing to do.
I agree with Ann. Personally if I received a letter like that, I would cherish it till the day I died.

You're an incredible young man, Jason.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Jason, writing a thank you note is wonderful.
I just returned from my hometown, which I do not go back very often anymore. I did see my Aunt who is a wonderful person and was quite wonderful to me and my sister when we were children. She took us to her home in the summers, gave us encouragement - so many positive things. Right now she is 88 and has only a short time to live because of an illness. I told her how much she meant to me and all the great things she did for me when I was young. She told me that my kind words meant a great deal to her and she always knew I appreciated her, but it was great to hear it. She also told me - to be kind to others and let her example sustain me to Pay it forward.
A short note of appreciation would be a wonderful gift to them.
Best Wishes
Old 11-05-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jason
In high school, my son had a friend who spent a good part of his life in our home, eating dinner with us, and just hanging out. When his parents announced their divorce, he came to me and I held that 16 year old boy in my arms while he sobbed uncontrolably. I am so glad that he felt he could come to me at a time when his heart was breaking and he felt that his world was collapsing around him. That was about 12 years ago.

I still hear from him occasionally and I call him my "other" son.

He became a chef. One evening a couple of years ago, he showed up at the door around dinner time and, of course, we invited him in for dinner. I apologized for the simple meal since he was capable of preparing a gourmet meal... I was a little embarrassed at our simple evening dinner. His response to me was "This is the kind of meal I grew up on with you......it makes it feel like home and tastes better than anything I could prepare."

That touched my heart and I will take that memory to my grave. It meant that much to me.

I agree with Ann.....write from your heart.

gentle hugs
Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
BBD

Hi Jason, You don't even need to give that a second thought. Sit down and write them that letter. They will cherish it as they do you. You were given the gift of having them come into your life and now you can explain all those wonderful feelings you have for them. maybe some day you will be the one to meet a younster that needs guidance. This is what life should be. Being there for those that need and don't even know it at the time. For a young fella you have endeared some sadness and my hope for you is that you end up a productive, happy young man. Hugs and smiles, Bonnnie
Old 11-05-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

As a recipient of a letter like that from a now grown young lady who once stayed more at our house than her own, I can tell you that it did not feel awkward or make me wonder what was up with her; it made me feel incredibly fortunate to have been given the opportunity to make a small difference and to know that this child grew to be a compassionate and caring adult; just like you. What a wonderful thing you are contemplating, Jason.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Jason it would mean so much to them I am sure. Anyone would love to know they have touched another. I took my son's friend in when he had not where to go and he stayed here for a year. It meant so much to me when after he moved on he bought me flowers on Mother's day. Us moms know when a kid needs a hug and would love to know it is appreciated. You should be so proud of yourself and how you turned out.

And I know what you mean about the library, I work in an elementary school one. I would love to work in an animal shelter, the problem is I would try to bring them all home. Hugs!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jason

Definatley write that letter - say what is in your heart and on your mind. They will understand and cherish it. If I received something like that I would be very touched by it. Share your feelings - life is too short to keep them for later.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Include your telephone number.
I'm sure they'd like to catch-up with you.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad to see you are well Jason.... ((hug)). A letter would be a loving, apprecitive gesture, and I'm sure it would fill their hearts with joy.
Cess
Old 11-06-2010, 06:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

(((((Jason))))) What a wonderful gift that would be. I hope that you do write that letter from your heart and send it. As SS said, please do include your phone number.