Exhausting

Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exhausting

I knew that working on me was not going to be an easy process. I knew it would be time consuming and I would run across things I did not like. What I did not know was it seems to be more exhausting than when I was trying to control the addicts in my life. ( yes I know it will be more worthwhile)

Maybe I feel this way because it is new to me I am not sure, I went to bed last night around midnight or a little after, I woke at 7:30 am and went back to bed at 9:00 or 9:30 am I awoke to my son beating on my door and ringing my doorbell. I had slept through picking my daughter up from work. This was 5:45 pm. I am ready to go back to bed now and it isan't even 10:00 pm yet.

I am not sure if this is because my body needs the sleep I was recently in the hospital, or what I just know it is. Did anyone else experience this when they started working on them?

Thanks and Hugs,
Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yes, Angie,

It can be very exhausting. It is some of the hardest work I have ever done. And, with the addicts in your life..you have been keeping up with their stuff, so that you (and/or I) have allowed our stuff to pile up.
It is alot to sort through.
I wish I had known to treat myself with kid gloves and lots of tlc as I was working through so much in the beginning. I didn't have any kind of proper support system.

In any case, I am not going to downplay how painful parts of it have been but I will say that it turns out to be well worth it.

Even though I am personally very angry at this moment, I still have an under layer of peace and contentment I would never have had.

(((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))
Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Angie
Oh yes.....it is very exhausting to work on ourselves. The good news is that it takes so much of our energy that we don't have any energy left to try to change the addict. And that's a good thing.

You also may be listening to your body better. Personally, in the past, I have been so obsessed with the welfare of my AS that I failed to listen to my own body. I can't even begin to tell you how many nights I have failed to sleep because I was laying awake worrying about something that I could not control.

Keep up the good work. You're worth it.

gentle hugs
Old 11-05-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
tam

yes angie, it was very exhausting. there were days I too just wanted to sleep in, only thing that got me up were my dogs having to go out. even that
I didnt feel like doing.
I also didnt sleep well at night either, so the next day I was exhausted and
it continued this way for some time.
I am able to sleep better now, Im able to do normal activities more. but I also
rest when Im tired.
rest heals our bodies.
it will get better angie, hang in there!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

how are you today?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

one of my recovery friends says it's like emotional surgery - you have to give yourself time to heal, just like you would if you had physical surgery.

TLC is what the recovery dr orders!!

lots of rest and recouperation!!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 11-05-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep.. it is exhausting.You can also take breaks ..sometimes that is what we need.Sounds like you are shutting down a little.Sleep is my DOC..my preffered method of avoidance and checking out.