The beauty and goodness of our addicted loved ones

Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Awesome thread - really. Everyone's loved one seems very special and my anger towards drugs and alcohol increases with every keystroke I make... how much addiction has destroyed so many lives and happiness. It's just not fair. sigh.

My husband Chris:
(when he is of sound mind and is sober he is):

1. Amazingly kind... holding doors open, drawing me baths, making me tea, listening to my fears and making me feel safe.

2. Has a heart of platinum (is more valuable than gold, no? - ) - He would literally give his shirt off his back to a random stranger. If someone needs help doing something he's there to do it. He always wants to do more than he's capable of (a downside because this is what starts his stress and addiction).

3. He's a very quiet person, contemplative and observant. He loves to watch movies, play digital yatzee with me, loves to read the bible and is a joy to watch at a church service.

4. He loves his family and our kitties to bits.

5. He's handsome, dark hair, long eyelashes, gorgeous smile with a nice bum ... he takes great care in his appearance. He seems to be vain (he is at times), but he has a very endearing vulnerability... of wanting to 'belong' and 'be liked'... -which just breaks my heart.

6. He was a junior champion golf player when he was a teen (thus, he's very talented at golfing - got a scholarship to go play down in the US. Of course drugs/alcohol became his 'golf' and he never went further than that. - However... he takes pride in this accomplishment and I've seen him play once last year. He was amazing... just simply amazing. I could tell he was proud I was very impressed.

I see these things and feel that they are reasons for me to stay... he's like a child who just can't seem to find the right door to walk through to grow up and he looks upon the world after every relapse (and brief recovery) with new eyes, new hope and energy to start a 'new life'.

I just wish it would finally stick for good.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Oops. I wrote that my daughter was "petty" when I meant pretty. She is pretty but would probably say that "petty" should describe a person who likes to pet animals rather than a person concerned with unimportant things. She's goofy and likes to make up words like "cutty" instead of sharp.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My sister: She's soooooo funny, and incredibly smart! She can make me laugh so hard I can barely breathe! She bristles at injustices in the world. Although she has done neither in a while, she draws beautifully and has real talent as a writer. She also has the most incredible blue eyes.....steel blue/gray almost. When the light hits them, it takes your breath away. She is a recovering alcoholic.

My stepson: Sadly, I have never known the "real" him. He is a gorgeous young man with dark hair and dark eyes. He has a very dark, ascerbic sense of humor. Pictures of him as a child show a happy, outgoing kid with a sweet face and ready smile. My husband misses his son very much. My stepson is an active polysubstance abuser.

My maternal grandmother: Bubbly, outgoing, vivacious, full of life. Loved to sing and play the electric organ. Loved bright, flashy clothing with lots of sparkle. Always ready to hug and kiss all her grandchildren. She was quite a horsewoman in her youth, and became a professional stylist in NYC as a young adult....loved people and loved life. My grandmother was an alcoholic.

Thank you for the opportunity to share! HG

Thank you for this thread
Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I always think of this song.....make me cry every time:

Old 04-29-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Wonderful idea.

My son Casey, has Paul Newman Blue eyes, and a wonderful sense of humor.
He was a wonderful soccer player when he was young. Was always very daring in everything he did, and determined to finish everything he began.
He also is a wonderful fisherman and use to enjoy our trips to Canada, and would fish from sun up to sun down.
How I cherish those memories.

My son Brandon, has beautiful green eyes, is a quiet, subdued sort of man.
Was always wary of danger, and it took him until he was 8 to ride a bike, because he said "A person could get hurt on that thing" when he tried at the age of 4. He has a fantastic sense of humor, and can easily make me giggle.
He's a very caring, and kind and loves anything with fur.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

My son is very compassionate , and kind to others. He is an animal lover. From the age of 7 and on he worked and participated in equestrian riding. He placed first, and grand champion many times in the jumper section. He was always the kid to bring home stray animals, or to stand up for the kids who were being picked on. He was always the youngman to show respect and kindness to the elderly, or persons less fortunate. His smile and witty sense of humour lit up a room. He has a keen insight to others. He is a very handsome, and caring individual.