Forgotten Children and Addiction in Families

Old 11-02-2010, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Forgotten Children and Addiction in Families

Thought this was just a good, basic read (though quite long). Focuses on alcoholism, but really, substance abuse and alcoholism are interchangeable. Don't forget the children...

http://www.nacoa.org/pdfs/Portrait%2...amily.docx.pdf
Old 11-02-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A very good read for the dynamics in an alcoholic/addict home. I got emotional reading about the things suggested for the children. There's a couple across the street with two young girls, and they are being evicted after living there 2 years. He's an abusive addict/alcoholic. Those girls get so excited when my daughter stops by my house on her horse, and they run over to see the horse. They spend a lot of time at my sponsee's house (she has 3 kiddos of her own).

I always smile at those girls and try to compliment them on something they might be wearing or their hair. There is so much sadness in those little eyes!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent post! I work with kids who have been exposed to lots of trauma and many have parents who are substance abusers. The reading was spot on. I don't think adults realize how kids are incredibly perceptive and take in much more than they let on. They aren't small adults, they are young minds developing and when exposed to stress, it has been proven to actually affect brain development. But a loving and stable adult in a child's life, friend, relative, neighbor, teacher etc, can do wonders!

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jay, Thank you for the post. It addresses exactly what I feel can happen in a child's life. That is one reason I feel it is so important to be there for my own grand-daughters. Tho young, they have seen way too much. Now that my AD has been in recovery for 9+ months, she is realizing what an effect her abusive relationships and her addiction is having on her oldest daughter (8 yo) and is making arrangements for counseling for her.

Jay, I hope that things are going well for both you & Kirby, I'm sorry I haven't been paying closer attention to your posts. The last I read was that Kirby may be adopted by the foster parents. I pray that this is what is happening.

Chris