At times I am afraid.......

Old 11-01-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

At times I am afraid.......

I was raised in a very religious household as I was growing up. Church three times a week, Sunday Morning, Sunday Evening and Wednesday Evening. I had a good foundation with my higher power.

Through my life, I have struggled to maintain that connection with my higher power and until fairly recently, I felt as though I had forgotten how to pray. But I remembered something from my childhood this morning that I'm going to use and I thought I would share it.

When I was little, I went to Bible School. Of course we did all kinds of crafts and things along with our Bible lessons. For one of the crafts, we used tongue depressors, ribbon, silver spray paint and hard pasta alphabet letters. With these supplies we made a little sign to hang in our rooms at home. The sign said:

At times I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

When I would get frightened at night alone in my dark room, I would put my head under the covers and say it over and over and over again until I eventually calmed down and would no longer be fearful.

I am afraid for my beautiful son. I am afraid for so many people here on SR who love addicts. I'm afraid for the addicts whom they love. But someone (I think it was Ann) suggested that we should turn our fear into faith. So I'm using that little sign I made (what feels like) a million years ago as another healing mantra. It is my Step Three mantra:

At times I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

gentle hugs
Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Kindeyes, I too had to rely on my childhood memories to help me find faith again.

When I was a little girl and afraid, my mother used to read me Psalm 27, and it always comforted me. To this day, when I am afraid, I remember that first verse that has seen me through many scary nights.

The LORD is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

I will now remember your little pasta sign as well...At times I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

Sometimes our faith needs little reminders like that.

Hugs
Old 11-01-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Funny thing, I just read the last verse of that Psalm and it says...

Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.

I could take a little lesson of patience along with faith in that.

Just thought I'd share it.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
it is what it is

"I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead"
i read these verses today and noticed something i had never really "seen" before - "that power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead" - it just hit me as totally awesome that we have that power at our disposal if we will just trust in Him -
Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My non-addict son, when younger, was very afraid at one point. I had him repeat, "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for Thou art with me." He said it over and over.

Wow - you mean we have at our service the same power that brought Christ out from death? Whew - who can have a bad day with that realization...