Another country heard from.....

Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another country heard from.....

Well, I received a call today from my AS. He is once again asking to talk. He says he realizes that he needs help and that he cannot go on living this way. But talk is cheap......we all know that rehab isn't.

I don't know where this is going but I do know one thing. He needs to want to help HIMSELF.......not just want help. He needs to be ready, willing, and able to do the work because I cannot (and will not) do it for him.

My husband and I are going to go pick him up in a little while so that we can meet with him and listen to what he has to say. His way hasn't worked--I am hoping he is ready to surrender himself to the process of recovery.

We haven't seen him since August. I'm a bit afraid to see what he looks like at this point.

About that higher power.........this morning while I was in the shower (ok....perhaps not the most conventional place to pray) I literally fell to my knees sobbing asking my Higher Power to help me help myself and to help my son help himself. Is this his answer? I don't know. Or is this just another test of my endurance or faith?

I think I'll say another prayer asking for further guidance and the courage to be strong, calm, and secure in my program. I am placing my full faith in God today to guide me, help me find the right words to say, and to help me to be compassionate and loving without being enabling. I will keep all of you and your collective wisdom in my mind. I will not react immediately without considerable thought. I will hold on to my emotions tightly. I will reach deep within myself and muster up the courage and strength to control........me.

I am going to be thankful for my Naranon Family Group and my SR Family Group today.

gentle hugs
Old 10-26-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Prayers helped me through many dark days and nights, Kindeyes, and I took God with me everywhere and pictured Him holding my hand. It helped.

Have your meeting, but perhaps plan ahead of time how you can cut it short if it's not going well. Having a graceful escape plan in place will give you confidence even if you don't need it.

Funny, that's twice tonight I has shared about "having escape plans". Must mean something, lol.

Good luck with your son. Remember he is in God's care no matter what he looks like.

Hugs
Old 10-26-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

I hope it all goes well KE

Jo
Old 10-26-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

prayers going up.

hugs,
chicory
Old 10-26-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Today feels like a good day for "S" to surrender !!!!!
Lots of positive energy coming your way.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Kindeyes))) I'm praying this is "it"....finally. I am praying for your continued strength and for your husband's. We are all praying for you. -XOXO
Old 10-26-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kindeyes,
I have been thinking about you today. Oh, I do hope you find some peace. My sincerest prayers.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am praying too Kindeyes. I liked what Spiritual Seeker said....Today feels like a good day to surrender.

Now I have to go catch up on everyone. My computer blew up and it took me a while to get another one. I will pray that everything works out for your family.

Gotahavfaith
Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
tam

Hope it goes well kindeyes, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family..your doing good, stay strong and continue thinking positive
Old 10-26-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
it is what it is

kindeyes - you, your husband and your son are in my prayers - i will pray that your son is ready -
debra
Old 10-26-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Add my prayers and positive thoughts, Kindeyes...I talk with my HP in many unconventional ways and locations...somehow that in and of itself is comforting.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh my, big smile when you talked about praying in the shower...that is my favorite place to pray! Tonight, I sent a prayer up to God to guide your AS with his loving hands...to give him the strength to fight his demons and for you, Mom, for the 'wisdom to know the difference'. Big, Big prayers for you Kindeyes
Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
BBD

My prayers too Kindeyes..for you, your hubby and your son. This just may be it~~~I remember getting on my knees and praying to God to help us here. It took a while but today my son is clean for over a year....HOPE HAPPENS!!! Lots of love, Bonnie
Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm as bad as I want to be...

My thoughts are with you .
Thank you for sharing that, you are *inspiring* to those of us who do not have the tools to be able to handle the situation as thoughtfully and gracefully as you described.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Add my prayers for you and your family as well,
Old 10-27-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"He needs to want to help HIMSELF, not just want help."

Wow, what wisdom. Sounds like a great mantra especially in those face-to-face meetings with our addicts where the adrenaline is running the show.

My prayers have gone up, too, Kindeyes. Whether or not your son goes into a program and embraces recovery as a direct result of your meeting with him, it is a step forward toward that much-wanted goal. With our HP in charge, things happen at just the right time.

You are doing so well and (((hugs))) to you!!

Sojourner
Old 10-27-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts. I have to say, it really did help to keep all of you in my mind as we spoke to our son. I really do believe that my higher power and the collective wisdom of all of you here helped me stay calm as we spoke with him last night.

He looks pretty bad......his once hollywood handsome face is very scared from the side effects of meth use. He was very humble (that was a first). He actually thanked us. I chose my words carefully trying not to use words like "you should" but instead used "what are your thoughts and plans"? One of the best questions that I asked last night was "You've said that you need help, what does help mean to you?"

He would sometimes stray off track and I would gently redirect him back to the topic and he allowed me to do so (usually that would result in a tantrum). I talked about my own recovery (man.....all that Naranon stuff came in really handy!) and how very protective I am of my OWN recovery. He talked about how selfish addiction is and how he will need to be very selfish as he seeks recovery.......and he chuckled and said that he thinks he's got "selfish" down pretty well.

There were no tense moments. No angry outbursts (by any of us). Overall, the conversation went well. We were all tired and decided that we didn't need to solve the worlds problems in one night and went to bed.

I thought it was very interesting that he said that he recognizes that we're not going to put up with any bs--we've shown him that. He said that we did him a great favor by letting him experience homelessness and it has given him a different perspective. I told him that I didn't do it for him......I did it for ME......and he replied "But by helping yourself.....you helped me."

I finally asked him if he intended to go to rehab. He hesitated.....thought for a moment and said "The part that bothers me is the money part." So I said "Take that out of the equation." and he replied "I need it."

Today is a new day. We'll stay in it and see what it brings. I'm not rejoicing. I'm not expecting anything other than for ME to maintain my serenity. Today will be a test of that but I'm going to take it one day at a time......even one minute at a time if I need to.

Thank you all for your kind words of support......I don't know what I would do without all of you.

gentle hugs (wish I could dole them out to each of you in person)
Old 10-27-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My daughter also felt guilty about the money for rehab. Sounds like all went very well. It's been intersting watching his progression towards wanting help.SOunds like he may finally be ready to SURRENDER. All those hard things you did were lessons he needed to learn. They made BOTH of you better. That's why they say the best gift you can give some one is to get in recovery yourself.Good job!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Kindeyes, Your recovery is showing, you are doing the best you can for both you & your AS. I'm praying that your AS will seek recovery....there is always Salvation Army if money is his only issue. I always told my AD, if she trully wanted recovery, she would do
all that she could to get it. It took many relapses, living on the streets, and who knows what else to bring her to her knees. It took me to fall to my knees (literally) to leave her in HP's care. That's where she remains today, in HP's hands, and loving hands they are....I am so grateful that HP has brought my AD to recovery.

Hugs & Prayers,
Chris
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

wow- i am glad things went well for you and you son and hope they contiue to do so.