Meetings ?

Old 10-26-2010, 06:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Meetings ?

I have agoraphobia are there any places online that have meetings or should I force myself to face to face and just deal with the agorapbobia?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, we are not allowed to give medical advice. There are online meetings,but there is definately something to be said for getting out in the world and being face to face.Are you being treated for your agoraphobia? What does your Dr./therapist say?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I first got into recovery in 1986, I had horrible anxiety, and would much have preferred holing up in my house. I have never been much of a social person, persay.

I ended up pregnant a little over a year clean/sober, and actually started having panic attacks.

What I found was the more I participated in meetings, and worked through the steps, the anxiety started to ease up.

I've been clean/sober 20 years now, and been in recovery for my codependency for 11 years, and if I start isolating at home, which is still too easy to do, the anxieties get worse and worse.

If I continue to stay active in recovery, and attend meetings even when I don't want to, my emotional state is much better.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both, Freedom I also have panic attacks but I have to go grocery shopping etc.. so I suppose I should just try and make myself. I understand medical advice can't be given
Keepin, my doctor says for me to make myself get out as much as I can tolerate otherwise just like Freedom said I will hold up in my house which is very unhealthy. I am on medications for the panic attacks/agoraphobia and the Bi-polar.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
tam

I dont have agoraphobia, but sure had anxiety prior to going to my first meeting. I remember the fear I had going there. I didnt talk at the meeting, when I went to bolt out at the end a young woman came up to me and welcomed me, again I thought just bolt now,but for some reason I stood there (shaking/sweating) and listened to her story, amazingly her story was exactly like mine,and the next thing I knew I told my story to her. there was a reason for this
I hope you try a meeting, if you dont feel comfortable going alone maybe ask someone to go with you.