3rd time is a charm?

Old 10-25-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3rd time is a charm?

Well I have now been through two relapses and I really do not know how anyone can deal with this for years. I have only known what he was doing for about a month, but knew something was not right for about 5 months. I am exhausted mentally and physically and really not sure this is for me. If he gets clean when will he fall again. Can he stay clean, he did manage it for 9 years. What the he// was he thinking to start again after all that time.

So this is what my AH is planning to do, detox this Friday and then to get an implant after the detox. He is doing this at home and has asked I take the car keys. Again I am not sure how much I can take or want to take of it. I have no idea what to believe anymore with all the lies that goes with this. I am afraid of what kind of condition he is going to be in doing it on his own. What kind of nastyness is going to come out of him. He is gone this week for work so I will get a break and maybe I can get some sleep. The bags under my eyes are aging me by at least 10 years.

Anyway it feels good to put this down in writing and let it go.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your pain.

Using drugs is only a symptom.

It doesn't sound like he has much for a plan other than the detox/implant.

Personally I'd never have someone detoxing in my home.

There are professionals qualified to deal with that.

Please do get some rest while he is gone. Lousy sleep patterns and fatigue can really kick my can!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It may well not be for you. Read up some on addiction and see if this is something you really want in your life. Have to agree with Freedom..doesn't sound like there's any program work going on which most addicts need .
Old 10-26-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the advice and your ears/eyes.

He is also seeing a counselor and has several group sessions to go to. So there are other things in place. It was a condition of mine that if he was going to stay in our home that he not only had to stop but work on why.

I got a great nights sleep last night and plan on doing the same tonight. I do have an escape plan for me and the kids when he gets really bad. Does anyone have first hand experience with this detoxing in the home.

Thank you again everyone
Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

oh my......what is he detoxing from? I've been through two recent attempts to detox my AS (meth and heroin). The first time was hard (meth only).....as Cynical One said, moaning, puking, diarrhea, misery, but we got him through it and then he disappeared for a month. He asked to come back and detox again (meth again and he said he had just recently begun shooting up heroin). We let him com back......moaning, pain, lashing out. I tried to get him to go into a detox facility, to have a plan, he would have none of it. He threatened to leave and I stepped out of his way and let him. I haven't seen him in two months.

I tried it. I learned. Personally, I had to admit that I'm simply not qualified to detox someone. I am my son's enabler (although I'm working on that). I know that I'm not the person that can be his detoxer, counselor, or sponsor. In fact, I'm the WORST person to try to do those things. He needs professional help.

I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this. It's so very hard to love an active addict. But everyone has the right to change......I'll pray that your husband can find the path to recovery and stay on it. He's done it before for an extended period of time. I think that alone would give me hope that he can get back on the path again.

gentle hugs
Old 10-26-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did detox my daughter at home off of heroin.BUT we went to ER first..she needed fluids, antibiotics,blood pressure meds, and anti naseua meds. My experience wasn't too bad, but she was very sick.I think the meds did help alot. ALso, her attitude was one of complete surrender and we didn't get any lashing out.From what I can discern she was pretty stoic. This does not appear to be the case in most situations. We TRIED to get her into a detox, but nothing was available. She detoxed 3 days at home and went straight to rehab.Definately wasn't my first choice, but it worked out for us.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sorry to go off topic- kindeyes, i am sorry to hear that you have not seen your son for two months. iam struggling after only a week. i cannot imagine what this is like for you. i hope for the best