Not sure

Old 10-22-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure

This is my first time on here and I'm not sure where to go. I have a close family member who is in rehab battling drinking and possibly drugs. The problem is that the person is not close by and there are kids involved. The kids are worried, this is their only parent. Grandparent is in charge for now but the parent will be back and then what?? What can you tell the kids to get them through this? Do you try to take legal guardianship or let the parent have a chance?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How old are these kids? If they are 11 and up, they might benefit from Al-Ateen. If younger, they might benefit from counselling.

Regarding guardianship...I would say it "yes", probably because I am a mother of a toddler, and ex-spouse of an alcoholic/drug user. Saying that the parent in rehab can "have a try" almost seems to suggest that the kids are a social experiment to be tinkered with.They deserve a stable, safe and sane home life. Perhaps the parent can be given gradual and incremental visitation based on X months of sobriety, participation in AA/a recovery program...

Have you spoken to a lawyer about this?