New Here- Looking for ways to cope

Old 10-16-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New Here- Looking for ways to cope

Hey,

I have a boyfriend who I have been with for a little over a year and a half. When we started going out he was using (opiates), I had no idea. Our relationship started in March of 2009, that June or July I believe is when he started getting clean, and I found out about all of this that August. It absolutely shocked me and I was so upset and had no idea how to handle the situation.
A little background on myself, I grew up going to Catholic schools my whole life and was NEVER exposed to drugs and didn't know a single person who did drugs (to my knowledge). Once I got to college I heard more about drugs and someone that I at the time was friends with occasionally used drugs, but I didn't really care that much because this person was an unreliable not very good friend, and I never was exposed to any of the problems of his usage of drugs.
I've known about my boyfriend's addiction for over a year now, but I still have a hard time talking about it with him. I cry pretty much anytime it is brought up. This is honestly the hardest thing I have ever dealt with in my life by far. I have never been in a situation like this before, and I don't really know how to handle it. I feel kind of alone. My boyfriend doesn't want me to tell anyone about his addiction as to not give him a bad reputation. The only person I have told this to is a counselor, but there is only so much she can do for me. I honestly want to spend the rest of my life with my boyfriend, but his past addiction (he's been in recovery for over a year and is going strong), is a very difficult topic for me.
Basically I joined this site for 3 reasons, one to hopefully help myself with the coping process. Two not feel so alone in this, because there are others here who can relate. And three so that I could get feedback and advice on how to cope with my situation.

Thank you
Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am just popping in to say Welcome to SR!

You may want to read the stickies at the top of the forums...

until more people get a chance to respond..it's late and often a bit slower on the weekends. (at least on this side of the pond, as they say).

Please feel at home here...and I trust others will be along in a bit.

I am a bit tired and my brain is shutting down.

Best wishes and again, welcome!