Update on son's eye

Old 10-12-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on son's eye

A couple of months ago i started a thread looking for ESH because my AS had called me asking for help because he had been pitching a softball game and had taken a line drive to the eye (gosh, a 50 MPH hit from a distance of 30 feet?) I realize that I have never updated on that story.

Thanks to all the kind posters. I just wanted to let you know that his eye was not able to be saved. He has an eyeball and the muscles that move his eye work, but he cannot see out of it and it is an unrepairable damage. When I got on here that day, i knew it was a very dire situation - something that I was not able to convey. Because he had waited 6 hours to go to the ER, he could have been dealing with untreated brain swelling which also added to the gravity of the situation.

Here is a consequence of living the drug/alcohol lifestyle. He lives in poverty, and the reason he did not go immediately to the hospital was because he had no insurance and did not want to add more to his debt load. Plus he might have thought they would not treat him without insurance. I do not know, I was not there when it happened. But I spent the next 3 weeks taking him to the eye clinic and buying the prescriptions he needed. There were bridges mended during that time between he and I.

It is because of Alanon and the positive support of people here that I am able to get through this. This son and I are now back to the minimal contact we had before because he is out of the woods on his eye and because he is still living the same way. I continue to have hope that he will someday want a clean and sober lifestyle.

I just wanted to say "thanks" to all that offered me ESH during that time.

Sojourner
Old 10-12-2010, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry that your son's vision has been damaged. That's so very sad for a young man. And scary too.

I'm glad that you were able to do what you could to try to save his eye. You're a good Mom and he's so lucky to have you.

I'll pray for your son, along with all of the other addicted loved ones today, that they may find their way back to their families who love them so very much.

gentle hugs
Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow..terrible about your sons eye, but I was so impressed with your recovery and the ability to conncect with your son in a loving ,yet detached way. I am glad about the mended fences..brings you peace to get that stuff cleared out. It's really hard being the mom of an addict, these kinds of moments really touch me.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Your post touched my heart too, and you and your son remain in my prayers.

Hugs from this mom's heart to yours
Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

((((((Sojourner))))) I'm so sorry about your son's eye, but so glad you were able to be there...for him and for you. I remember your post well. My prayers continue for you and your child. he is very fortunate to have you. Hugs
Old 10-13-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((Sojourner))
I agree with the others, you are a great mom, you took care of him but stayed in your recovery. Good for you. Hugs.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sojourner- I guess if your son cares about keeping his debts down and knew enough to come to you for help, then there is some hope for him. Sorry about his eye. My son was a pitcher too but gave it up because the comebackers got to be too scary. Take care.