30 Days

Old 09-15-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behind the Red Door

30 Days

Daughter had a doc appt today, and her dad brought her by the office for about 5 minutes. She was very proud of her 30 day (chip?). It looked like a key ring, but the sentiment is there. It's actually more than 30 days, but she has reached and passed the 30 day mark.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That's such good news. It isn't solid recovery but it sure sounds like a solid start.

I'm happy for both of you.

Hugs
Old 09-15-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behind the Red Door

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
That's such good news. It isn't solid recovery but it sure sounds like a solid start.

I'm happy for both of you.

Hugs
No, it isn't solid recovery, but the way she thinks has changed, and she's learning. It's a start, and I'll take it. One day at a time for me, too.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

TM,

I'm so happy for you and and your daughter.

Love,

Lenina
Old 09-15-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

TM
30 one-day-at-a-times is a great start. Your daughter will be in my prayers.

gentle hugs
Old 09-15-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea! It's so nice to see them proud of something again, huh!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TM

So glad to hear your daughter is doing good. Here is to hoping that this time our kids "Get It"

Gotahavfaith
Old 09-16-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats to her and to you!
What that saying...journey of a thousand steps begins with one.
30-min, 30-hours, 30-days, it all starts with a deisre to get better. It sounds like she is still carrying that desire and showing pride at her accomplished.
That's a positive sign!

How is your recovery coming along? Ready for your 30-day chip, my friend? I bet you are

Alice
Old 09-16-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behind the Red Door

Originally Posted by ItsmeAlice View Post
Congrats to her and to you!
What that saying...journey of a thousand steps begins with one.
30-min, 30-hours, 30-days, it all starts with a deisre to get better. It sounds like she is still carrying that desire and showing pride at her accomplished.
That's a positive sign!

How is your recovery coming along? Ready for your 30-day chip, my friend? I bet you are

Alice
I'm doing well. Most days are positive, and I stay busy with "me" stuff. Occassionally, I worry about things I don't need to worry about. It's like I can't take my own advice..."don't worry until there's something to worry about".

Thanks everyone, for the well wishes.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

that's great news......just as Alice said 30 mins, 30 hrs, 30 days.....it all starts with one.
my RAD was sad because she celebrated 8 months yesterday and NA doesn't have a key tag for that....I pray everyday that she will reach the next level.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behind the Red Door

Originally Posted by Serenity Bound View Post
that's great news......just as Alice said 30 mins, 30 hrs, 30 days.....it all starts with one.
my RAD was sad because she celebrated 8 months yesterday and NA doesn't have a key tag for that....I pray everyday that she will reach the next level.
I'm the kind of person, that if my daughter doesn't have a key tag, I'll find a way to make one for her.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behind the Red Door

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
hold up there mom........the idea of the key tag or chip is that it is EARNED thru the program of choice...AA or NA....and they have a standard format there. remember this is HER recovery....it would be like making up diplomas for completing the first semester of college....let HER do this part ok??? let this be ALL hers......
So, you're basically telling me that I can no longer be myself, right?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So, you're basically telling me that I can no longer be myself, right?
huh? All I see her saying is that key tags are earned at NA meetings, just like diplomas are earned in high school and college.

It's good for parents to step back and let their kids do the hard work of recovery instead of trying to make it easy for them. then they can say i did it for myself. Not mommy did this for me.

It's not about you.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Behind the Red Door

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
you can be whoever you want.....in YOUR OWN LIFE. but making up psuedo AA or NA keytags for someone in recovery would be called meddling...attempting to be a part of something that is not yours to be a part of......if she is gonna get this and get it right, she has to own it 110%, like breathing..........
All my life I've thought of that sort of thing as recognition for success. Good grades, recognition. Passed the test, recognition. Good job, recognition.

My mistake.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behind the Red Door

Originally Posted by hello-kitty View Post
huh? All I see her saying is that key tags are earned at NA meetings, just like diplomas are earned in high school and college.

It's good for parents to step back and let their kids do the hard work of recovery instead of trying to make it easy for them. then they can say i did it for myself. Not mommy did this for me.

It's not about you.

And all I'm saying is that that's the kind of person I am. It's the kind of mother, wife, friend, I am. I recognize the successes of others. Never, not once, have I had someone tell me to stop meddling when I've recongnized their success. Whether it be by buying them a card that says congrats, or by making them their favorite dinner, or any other thing that might suit the occasion.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

tormentedmirror.....just so you know, I agree with good job recognition. I DID text my daughter with Congrats on 8 months clean.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yikes..lets bring it down a notch! Us Mommys do want to praise our children when they do something right..finally.We want to support the positive because there is so much negative!I do get that their recovery is their own.Tormented Mirror is very new to all the addiction stuff and seems to me to be open to learning.The tough love stuff is hard even for seasoned vets...I respond to a slightly gentler approach
Old 09-16-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like the format of Alanon and Naranon meetings of "no cross talk" It took me awhile to understand why a person should not respond to another by giving advice, telling, saying I don't think that is a good idea, etc. Fortunately I stayed around to understand...When people share their experiences without passing judgment; without saying what this person is doing is right or wrong, without trying to control the outcome and let each person walk his or her own journey, we grow, we learn, we are a community of support, not advice givers and controllers.

Tormented, congrats to your daughter and to you as well! It is sometimes difficult to not tell our kids what to do, but I too have found that sharing in the joy of their successes helps me focus on the positive and try not to control the negatives.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Originally Posted by greeteachday View Post
we are a community of support, not advice givers and controllers.
this should be a sticky at the top of the board!!

A lot of people on this board take the mentality of "I know best" which actually just shows how much they still have to learn...but I digress :\

Do whatever helps you tormented.