New to the site

Old 09-13-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New to the site

Hello Everyone,

Just joined the site and am looking forward to having a place to let loose. I am married to an addict with poly substance abuse and bipolar disease. I am trying to disengage but deal with guilt every day over my daughter. She is five years old and has called me daddy since she was 18 months old. I have no legal rights to her and am her sole protector when her Mother uses, or self destructs.
Her mother currently is seeing a psychiatrist who is prescribing Subutex, Klonipen, Seroquel, Depochote and Abilify.

I used to respect the Medical profession but watching an addict manipulate the system has ruined that.

Last month she took her whole script of Klonipen (90 tablets) in six days. She
was completely out of her mind during that period and relapsed on crack briefly also.

This month after lying in bed for three weeks in withdrawal from Klonipen she went back to her Psychiatrist. She asked me to dole out her meds to her so she would not abuse them. I reluctantly agreed This basically started two days of hell where I was accused of trying to be a doctor because I would not her all three doses of her Klonipen at once because I felt she was too messed up already. I gave up the doling out of pills.

My question for today is.. When she went to this Doctor she said he wanted to speak to me but it has been three months and I have not met with him yet. Do I make an appointment to tell him she is misusing the Klonipen or am I being stupid and should just be looking for the exit ramp.

Although this seems like a simple question it goes to the core of our situation. I love my daughter she has been exposed to some horrible things due to her mothers addiction. How do I get out without her being a casualty.

I know I am rambling a bit but often feel like I am in a war zone.

After ten rehab programs and many many relapses this is one tired husband.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, Dano -- that sounds like a horrible situation I'm so sorry for what you are going through but I'm glad you found SR. It's a wonderful place for support and education and I hope you stick around. Sounds like you need it!

When I was going through a very rough part of my life this past year I asked my doctor for something to take the edge off my anxiety. She gave me like 15 Klonopin to take as needed. OMG! That stuff kicked my a$$ big-time. I tried a dose on 2 different occassions and then threw the rest down the toilet!! I can't imagine feeling like that 24/7.

But....to answer your question.... I do think you should take time to visit with her psychiatrist. You will learn things and so will he. He may also have some resources for you to learn more about the situation with her little girl -- call CPS? a social worker? can you get temp custody?, etc. I don't see a down side to speaking with him.

I'll pray for you.

I'm glad you're here.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for listening

This is so stupid. I waited all weekend to post. Just the thought of it got me through the day.

I just read your response and burst into tears. Big tough 46 year old guy huh.

Thank you.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Where is the bio father?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It looks like she is being treated for Bipolar with an emphasis on mania and opiate addiction. I have never heard of Depochote. It strikes me as unusual that given her medical history she is being treated with a benzo which is highly addictive. Makes me wonder if this MD knows her complete history.

Has your wife signed a HIPAA release authourizing her MD to share information with you? Without it, the MD canot confirm or deny she is a patient. This can be cleared up with a phone call.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dano1964 View Post
This is so stupid. I waited all weekend to post. Just the thought of it got me through the day.

I just read your response and burst into tears. Big tough 46 year old guy huh.

Thank you.
I'm so sorry you are feeling so lost. Please keep posting -- we are here to support YOU.

You know, you can always call CPS anonymously to ask "what if" questions.

Just curious, is there another family member who would be a suitable custodian for the child? That's probably one thing they'll ask.

Do you have the resources to see a therapist yourself? You are under a tremendous amount of strain right now.

Let us know how you're doing today, ok? I'll be thinking of you.

T.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
tam

depakote is a mood stabilizer for bipolar illness. and of course the klonipin is for manic episodes, but should only be used on severe manic situations.
having said that, sadly drs. prescribe benzo's to addicts knowing its dangerous! why in the world drs.dont communicate with each other on who is prescribing what for this or that is beyond me. of course addicts arent going to tell them either. vicious cycle. but you should def. call the drs. if your allowed to communicate with them
I would call her dr.and tell them she is taking alot of the klonipin so they can hopefully prescribe less amout (hopefully is the key)..and you should def. keep them safe and give them to her when needed, but I do know that she might put up a struggle for them.
so sorry your going through this, please keep posting and read all the info here on the forum, it truly truly helps us with dealing with addiction.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tam View Post

.and you should def. keep them safe and give them to her when needed....
She blew through a 30 day script in 6 days, which means she was taking at least 5X the prescribed dose, assuming she parsed them out, which is probably unlikely. Benzo withdrawals are nothing to mess with and as I understand it, best supervised in a professional detox enviornment.

Where does the withdrawal end and bipolar kick in? I cannot imagine the mania that ensues.

If an adult is not up to the responsibility of taking their meds, as prescribed, this adult is not likely to be up to the responsibility of parenting a child.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Childs father

My daughter's biological father is a felon who deals drugs for alining and does not pay his child support. Luckily we do not live in the same city him.

I appreciate the advice from everyone. I will be calling her physician. Wife says she put me down as a partner in her recovery plan so maybe he will speak to me.

Thank you for your support.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

not to freak you out... but kind of:

Man pleads guilty to slitting stepdaughter's throat | KOMO News | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional