have some hope, but little of it

Old 09-10-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

have some hope, but little of it

Hello, haven't posted in some time, but have continued reading and learning. AD has been in prison for 6 weeks with 6 more to go. Probation revoked. The po sent her to a minimum security prison that also offers rehab. It does not sound like a 90 day treatment center as it is not as structured. Her letters tell of busy days working kitchen detail, cleaning the waiting rooms, taking long walks, and working out. She meets with a social worker once in awhile for some one on one. She said something to her daughter last winter that I was aware of but never confronted her on it as i didn't want to put gd in the predicament to either lie to me or decieve her mom. But it has festered in me since. I wrote ad a letter and told her I know about this and needed to inform her so I could get beyond it. She went on to tell me "it's a good thing that I am where I am, as I felt so bad about what I said that had I not been here, I would have proberly picked up the crack pipe again" This bothered me as I interpet it as " If I ever get upset by something from the past, I will want to get high again". She gets out in 6 wks and truthfully I am not looking forward to it. I'm afraid to more drama to come.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by katie53 View Post
This bothered me as I interpet it as " If I ever get upset by something from the past, I will want to get high again".
If anything from the present upsets her she'll probably want to use again, too. That is something they have to deal with for the rest of their lives. It floats across their brains in a nanosecond but it's what they choose that matters the most.

Katie, I can't remember if you're working any kind of program?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks Chino. I attended al-anon twice a week for about a year. THOUGHT I had it together but I have started to let those negative thoughts in my head! and dreading things that may never take place. I have made the decision to return to my group as I know it will help me be better to me when she gets released. I feel that even if she did stay clean, al-anon will now be a part of my life.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you!

I've been working recovery for 3 years now, and it may have to be for life, for me. I accumulated unhealthy coping habits in my life and found it extended beyond my RAD. She's fine just for today, but there are many others in my life who have firmly established codie habits with no intention of breaking them. I've already learned the hard way it's way too easy for me to transfer my obsessions to another, if I'm not diligent about it one day and person at a time.

Hang in there Katie, you're going to be OK