how do you walk away?

Old 09-09-2010, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how do you walk away?

this is not my ego- but how do you walk away from someone who really has nobody? how do you walk away when you know the person is in pain and is suffering or when you know they are trying to be better. i really believe that her relationship with me is keeping her from completely self destructing again, but athe same time she is in active addiction. i wantto help her or at least help her help herself. i have been doing it two months now, but have become irritable around her. i know she feels it. she cries about losing me and i dont want to lose her- not even asa gf but as a person,
Old 09-09-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

but how do you walk away from someone who really has nobody?
..the same way you walk away from people who have somebody... figure out where you want to go with your life and put one foot in front of the other.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((Steve))

again please look at it from the perspective of unselfish love ~

You are cheating her of the opportunity to find her self, the dignity, her self-respect, her own path to a better way of life

The more I did for my loved ones, the less they could do for themselves -

a butterfly must struggle out of the cocoon to help form their wings be able to fly ~

She has unlimited resources - A God of her understanding, numerous recovery programs and treatment centers, and millions of other recoverying people in this world

You found help right?

Allow her the same wonderful opportunity!

PINK HUGS!
Rita
Old 09-09-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

i really believe that her relationship with me is keeping her from completely self destructing again, but athe same time she is in active addiction
it's also keeping her from changing.

change your perspective - just for a minute -

who are you to deny this person her bottom?
when did you grow wings?

we neither give, or take someone's opportunity.

that's the job of a Power Greater Than Ourselves.

never was you.
never will be.

I think if you see it from a perspective of us codies
actually being in the way
more than we're erring on the side of helping...

I think that might help you to figure this out.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Steve, with me it was my daughter...I was afraid of losing her to addiction...I was even more afraid of losing her love... if I found the courage to do what I knew was right deep down...but I was riding the codie coaster so hard I couldn't not see how much I was trying to control everything...including her outcome...and I just didn't have that kind of power...and I couldn't love her well...

the real turning point for me was when I finally saw that I was actually doing harm, standing in the way of her and the consequences of her addiction....and robbing her of her process, and her dignity...
that shocked me to my core...and I couldn't get out of the way fast enough..
and that was when I began to let her go, knowing in my heart, it was the kindness, most loving thing I could do...

she only began to shift in her trajectory when she look up one day realized , that I was no longer standing there with a pillow in my hand ready to slip in under her bottom, should she fall...she knew then it was just her, just up to her to fix her life...

Today, she is one year and two months sober.

((Steve)) I know this is heartwrenching...you and your girlfriend are in my prayers
Old 09-09-2010, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Steve,

Do you see how faulty your logic is right now? You said that you don't want to leave because she'll self destruct; but she's in active addiction. Where I come from, active addiction is one of the worst kinds of self destruction. And she's doing so, even with you in the picture.

All this talk about her not having anywhere to go, etc... don't ever forget how resourceful addicts are. If she wants a place to stay, she will figure it out. I promise. There are shelters. She may call up a long lost friend that you don't know about.

And detaching doesn't mean you have to stop caring, but rather that you care enough to no longer enable.

I join Ann and others who have said that we love you here and we are behind you 100%.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The whole 12 steps thing boils down to ego.

The addict/alcoholic has to let go of the fantasy that they are unique and can control the substance.

The codependent has to let go of the fantasy that they are unique and they alone stand between life and death, and thus control other people.

It's the same bloody demon....EGO.

Seems to me that the pay off for the the addict/alcoholic is becoming numb to life as is/where is. What's in it for us codependents?

The more we focus on fixing someone else, the less we focus on fixing the only thing we can control, ourselves.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

. When you're drowning how do you save another person drowning? The experts say that you should always put on your oxygen mask first before you put on your neighbors. Who will save you?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

one heJJ of a post, cynical

spot on.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Steve,
I understand what you feel.

I think that when we try to help, that is what we are trying to do.

i do not think it has a bit of ego to it, just that we want the person to live, and we see them as helpless. it is scary, i know, to let go.

if we saw someone struggling to get up from the floor, we would reach down and help them up- nothing there says we have a big ego, or feel like we are the only one who can do it. maybe we are the only ones who care to help. you have a good heart. it is not always about us.

truth is, she can get help, when she wants it. there are shelters, programs, and treatment for people like her. you will be lost in her sickness, if you continue to shelter and protect her until she wants help herself. i know that it can make us sick as well, to try to keep someone afloat, who will not take the cement shoes off of their feet.

i dont know much about your story, but i know how you are feeling. it is hard to let go of someone who seems totally helpless. but she is not. she has choices, and she is being selfish, maybe, to let you do all the worrying, while she hurts herself. maybe she would not be able to hurt herself as much, if she had to do more of her own rescuing?
hugs,
chicory
Old 09-10-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
work in progress

You seem like you are looking for an answer that is your "fix"... just like the addict goes looking for theirs.

There is no "magic wand" answer.
No, you can't love her into sobriety... not ONE of us would be here if that were possible.

It won't be until you realize this... that then you will start to look at yourself in your own cracked mirror.

Go back to the 3 C's....

You didn't cause it
You can't control it
You can cure it

It took me 10 YEARS of trying before I came to realize that in MY WORLD... I am the sick one. And maybe.... just maybe I kept surrounding myself with people that needed "fixing" so I would feel better about my own shortcomings.

Just sayin.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Steve,

I shared a little with you regarding how I figured out how to step away, but the most important part of my journey with me was finding out that I was a raving, flaming codie given the right situation

I had no clue...
I loved my daughter and almost lost her to cancer when she was young..
I was justified in doing everything in my power to save her this time, right?
when she was four, it was really up to her and God...I knew then where I left off and He took over...

But this time was different...and I couldn't see any lines and I was full of fear ...obsessed...I was convinced it was my job to save her...it did not occur to me that she could save herself...I could not see 'her' because I was so busy trying to save her...I had lost all perspective...my life had become unmanageable...and I was out of control...
and then I came, here desperate for some way to save her...here I discovered to my shock and relief that I was a codependent...
here I learned that I needed to save myself...I was as sick as my daughter...we both needed recovery, but I learned to separate our processes; that I had no control over her process, never did, only mine...

and so I began to heal...I used the word relief because finally I had the
piece to the puzzle...something that caused me so much pain for so long...just didn't know or understand why...wasn't ready to see it until now...

here is one of the best bits: I have always been a codie as I look back now......I have my daughter and her journey with addiction to thank for mirroring my addiction back to me...I am thankful for my codie recovery every single day...that part of me that I couldn't understand, access, that I loathed, today I love, every wart...

my daughter has taught me so much about love...she showed me a part of myself that needed to come into the light to be whole...

Steve, I believe these events in our life are about more than the crisis or the heartbreak in our lives...they are always teaching moments, opportunities for us to find the courage if we are willing to look ourselves, at our part, in the dance, to open to change in the face of fear and grow beyond where we are...they really are a gift...
Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you all. i know what i have to do. i have set my goal for monday wit ha firm boundary. i will say i will take her to salvation army if she wants to go or i will have to leave her somewhere else. if she goes, but tests positive i will offerto take her to the hospital. i love her but want my life back
Old 09-10-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
The whole 12 steps thing boils down to ego.
HUMILITY....state of being humble; meekness....

LET GO AND LET GOD
Old 09-11-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fourmaggie View Post
HUMILITY....state of being humble; meekness....

LET GO AND LET GOD
Absolutely...humility is the objective and the big fat ego blocks the gateway.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
thank you all. i know what i have to do. i have set my goal for monday wit ha firm boundary. i will say i will take her to salvation army if she wants to go or i will have to leave her somewhere else. if she goes, but tests positive i will offerto take her to the hospital. i love her but want my life back
Let go or be dragged. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow, have I ever been there.

You may think she has noone and no resources and you are the only thing keeping her together.

Your wrong..........but you may not be seeing that, just like I did.

You have to get to a point that you can let her go and let her face her own consequences. And I mean really let go. Go on with your life with no expectations of having her in it. She may get clean, she may not, she may get clean and go her own way, what is going to happen will happen, it's God's choice. And you have no power over it. The only thing you have power over is yourself.

If you don't your gonna go down in flames, I know this firsthand. And it is not pretty at all. Losing your sanity, losing yourself and just becoming a dirty reflection of the addict in your life that you are struggling so hard to help. Your as sick as she is, I was as sick as mine is.

To be blunt, and I can say this because I have lived it, your not helping her, not one bit, as long as she has you around what incentive is there for change? Addicts are emoitional vampires and as long as she is activly using she will suck the life right out of you.

Once I finally let go I soon found he did have resources and he would survive without me around. Beleive me active addicts when dumped into the sea of life will float, and not only that they always manage to attract others like themselves to float with.

Give her the chance to live her life. Give yourself the chance to live yours. I sincerely hope you do before you lose yourself.

Hugs,
Teggie
Old 09-11-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Teggie View Post
Wow, have I ever been there.

You may think she has noone and no resources and you are the only thing keeping her together.

Your wrong..........but you may not be seeing that, just like I did.

You have to get to a point that you can let her go and let her face her own consequences. And I mean really let go. Go on with your life with no expectations of having her in it. She may get clean, she may not, she may get clean and go her own way, what is going to happen will happen, it's God's choice. And you have no power over it. The only thing you have power over is yourself.

If you don't your gonna go down in flames, I know this firsthand. And it is not pretty at all. Losing your sanity, losing yourself and just becoming a dirty reflection of the addict in your life that you are struggling so hard to help. Your as sick as she is, I was as sick as mine is.

To be blunt, and I can say this because I have lived it, your not helping her, not one bit, as long as she has you around what incentive is there for change? Addicts are emoitional vampires and as long as she is activly using she will suck the life right out of you.

Once I finally let go I soon found he did have resources and he would survive without me around. Beleive me active addicts when dumped into the sea of life will float, and not only that they always manage to attract others like themselves to float with.

Give her the chance to live her life. Give yourself the chance to live yours. I sincerely hope you do before you lose yourself.

Hugs,
Teggie
Teggie,
So very well said.

A lot of strength comes through your post.

hugs,
chicory
Old 09-11-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Teggie,

Powerful post, the last paragraph says it all. Thank you for posting.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

this group gets me all the time...! thank you!