Broken Hearts Broken Dreams

Old 08-24-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Broken Hearts Broken Dreams

You are reading from the book Each Day a New Beginning

There were many ways of breaking a heart. Stories were full of hearts broken by love, but what really broke a heart was taking away its dream - whatever that dream might be.
—Pearl S. Buck

No new door is opened without the inner urge for growth. Dreams guide us, encourage us, stretch us to new heights - and leave us momentarily empty when they are dashed.

Recovery has given us resilience and a multitude of reasons for living. We have come to understand that when one dream serves us no longer, it is making way for an even better one. Our dreams are our teachers. When the student is ready, a new one comes into focus.

Dreams in our earlier years often come to nought. They couldn't compete for our attention as effectively as the self-pity. The direction they offered was lost. Each day that we look forward with positive anticipation, we put the wreckage of the past farther from our minds.

Our dreams are like the rest areas on a cross-country trip. They refresh us, help us to gauge the distance we've come, and give us a chance to consider our destination.

Today's dreams and experiences are points on the road map of my life. I won't let them pass, unnoticed.

From Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women by Karen Casey © 1982, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think that much of the sadness I felt over the addiction of my son was that my dreams for him, for us as a family and for the future were broken when addiction stole him away. It broke my heart to lose those dreams.

It's hard to let go of a dream, it's hard to face the reality that "that dream" isn't going to come true.

But, for me, it wasn't the end of all dreams, it was just time to let that one go and find another dream for my future.

At first I was cynical, and wondered if dreams were just that...and that I would wake from each dream to find myself in the same place.

But I dared to dream anyway. I dreamed of finding a hobby that would take me into nature and capture the beauty. Photography has done that for me.

I dreamed of a life of balance, working at something I enjoyed and yet leaving lots of time for "me". I found that job.

And I still dream of lovely days yet to come, of retirement and travel and maybe one day do some more writing and publish "The Great Canadian Novel".

Will these dreams vanish into thin air too? Perhaps, but living my life with these dreams in place makes my life a lot happier and gives me goals to strive for.

My mother used to have a plate hanging on her kitchen wall that read "You've got to have a dream before it can come true."

Today's dreams and experiences are points on the road map of my life. I won't let them pass, unnoticed.
So, dear friends, despair not. Dare to dream. Dare to believe that new dreams CAN come true...because they can.

Hugs
Old 08-24-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((Ann)))

This was exactly what I needed to read today.

Thank you. And thank you for YOU - I love how you can take something that I can't quite articulate and you say it just perfectly.

Cats
Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
it is what it is

Ann - you are such an inspiration to me - to have suffered the anguish of an addicted son and not knowing where he is for so long and to have found the peace that washes over all that you say here takes more strength than i can imagine at times - thank you for sharing yourself in such a gentle and compassionate way to so many who come here for encouragement and strength.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with Cats - this is exactly what I needed to hear today. I've always dreamed and used that as goals. They've been stomped on with XAH's addiction. It IS time to come up with new dreams and goals. Thanks Ann.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Awww, you are all so sweet, but I wouldn't have the dreams I have today if it wasn't for wonderful people like you all and the support you gave me in my darker days.

Love you all.

Sweet dreams for everyone, that's my wish for you all today.

Hugs
Old 08-24-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Yes, sadness of our dreams we had for the ones we love. The loss of my sister ended one dream. Ann, thanks for sharing this with me, as it gives me the strength that I will meet her again someday. That will be my new dream, that will give me strength.
Thankyou.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

(((Justjo))) I believe you will see her again, really I do.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ThatLittleGirl

So, dear friends, despair not. Dare to dream. Dare to believe that new dreams CAN come true...because they can. - Ann, thank you for that!!! Sincerely!!!! My exah always tells me not to plan ahead...one day at a time because you never know what the future may hold... We had property that became mine in the divorce. I've always dreamed (since we bought it six years ago) of building a house on it and raising the girls there! He's always squashing that talk when I bring it up...saying you're not there yet so there's no use in talking about it. That's always made me feel so empty and void (I HATE it when he does that), and I've never felt comfortable completely closing down the idea!!! In reading this, I know it's OK to dream...it doesn't have to be written in stone...but it can give us hope and provide a light at the end of the tunnel that is so desperately needed some days...
Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Then the bird said 'Nevermore'

Oh Ann! Absolutely LOVED that, thank you for sharing!

xoxo
Old 08-25-2010, 04:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by cynical one
And I haven’t given up on being a princess.
I love this, CO, you are indeed a princess of hearts right here at SR.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
You are reading from the book Each Day a New Beginning

There were many ways of breaking a heart. Stories were full of hearts broken by love, but what really broke a heart was taking away its dream - whatever that dream might be.
—Pearl S. Buck
I loved this so much - yesterday I put it on my FB status!

My heart was broken so many times because I did lose so many of my dreams!

Today I am so grateful that 7 yrs ago a beautiful thing called Al-Anon recovery gave me the tools to discover when dreams are lost, stolen, taken away or die ~

Me and My God have the power to create new dreams

How PINKTASTIC!

I've said it before & I'll say it again - No matter what, me and my God are going to be ok -even better than OK!

PINK HUGS to all!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

And I haven’t given up on being a princess.
Right there with ya, CO. Isn't today my day to wear the tiara?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

For those wanting to be a PRINCESS - I have PINK HIGH HEELS with tiaras as buckles on them you are welcome to borrow if you like - I also have matching tiara earrings (they have PINK stones too)

signed,
THE PINK PRINCESS

(even if no one else thinks I am ~ I treat myself as a Princess and please treat yourself as one too, you deserve it!)
Old 08-25-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've thought about this a lot since I first read it. Not one of my dreams has been broken, though I thought one was. It was my dream for my daughter, that she would be happy, well balanced, and successful. Well, she seems to be getting there on her own, and I'm sure it's because I butted out of her dreams for self

I literally had one dream stolen (business idea) and am no longer friends with the person who stole it. She ended up not pursuing that dream and I came up with others for myself.

I've lived most of my dreams and the most recent one, the one I'm still realizing, is living authentically. I think that means I'm living the dream