SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   This is supposed to be good news?... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/206806-supposed-good-news.html)

VJohnson787 08-10-2010 11:40 AM

This is supposed to be good news?...

A lot has happened in the last 24 hours for my sister. She came to my parents and admitted (much to our surprise) that she has a problem with the pills and wants to get clean again. She has given her pills to her husband who is now going to be monitoring her intake. I’m not sure how I feel about this as he has been sitting on the side lines not doing much about the problem to begin with. He counted her pills as soon as he got them. Her prescription was filled just one week ago today with 180 pills of Dilaudid. There were 40 left. This is mind boggling for me. That being said, I do not believe that she took all 140 pills. I think she took a good portion of them, but she has made comments about pills she got from a “friend” being secretly laced with ectacy and cocaine and that are what has been making her act so differently lately. I personally think she traded some of the pills for the others, and is trying to cover up that she relapsed with cocaine. It makes perfect sense for her personality. This is the girl that when she was told to never bring "A single cigarette" into our house again (during her teen years), would bring a pack in, simply to say that she didn't bring a "single cigarette" in. I hope that this is the bottom, the very rock bottom of this situation. I would like to know from anyone out there that has similar pill addictions, is there a way to wean off them safely? I know that she will be in a lot of pain if she goes through with detoxing on her own. What is a "safe" amount to cut her down to? The last thing we want to do is put her in more physical danger. Advise?

suki44883 08-10-2010 11:54 AM

We cannot give medical advice. Only a doctor should advise dosage. A visit to a doctor would be in order.

laurie6781 08-10-2010 11:58 AM

Welcome to Sober Recovery! You have found a great place with lots ES&H (Experience, Strength and Hope) from folks who have been where you are now, or are where you are now.

Nope, no medical advice here as everyone is different.

Her hubby and your parents should talk to her doctor if she gives permission, and ask him/her. Dr may put her in medical detox.

Any detox from drugs and/or alcohol can be VERY DANGEROUS and should be monitored by medical personal.

I personally believe this is just another 'ploy' on the addicts part to take 'the heat' off.

Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing as we do care very much and know how hard it is when there is a practicing alkie and addict in one's life.

Love and hugs,

VJohnson787 08-10-2010 12:10 PM

I do remember now that no medical advise is to be asked or given. My apologies. Its a lot to take in right now. She did have an appointment to go to the DR on Monday, but didnt go because she was afraid of getting arrested for the "pills" she took that were not prescribed. Im sure it was just because she had cocaine in her system though. Laurie, I agree with you 100%, I think this is just a ploy as well, as much as I wish otherwise. I find it really hard to talk to other people about whats going on, its a much better release to be able to write it all down and get unbiased opinions. Thank you so much for reading my posts and giving me such wonderful words of encouragement. I really appreciate it.

Freedom1990 08-10-2010 12:45 PM

There are great resources out there for someone truly seeking recovery, and that includes medical detox facilities. :)

Please continue to educate yourself on addiction, and I recommend either Naranon or Alanon meetings for yourself to heal from the effects that your siblings' addictions have had on you.

It is possible to live a full and reasonably happy life in spite of having a family member in active addiction.

I have a 32 year old daughter who will probably never seek recovery, and that is her choice.

My life is independent of hers, and I sleep well at night knowing I have placed her in God's loving hands.

VJohnson787 08-10-2010 01:08 PM

Freedom, thanks for replying. I think detaching and living a life that is independent of hers is what is so difficult for me. My family, in spite of having all the problems we have, has always been very close knit. I will be getting married March of 2012. The most heartbreaking thing I have done up until this point, is tell my older sister, that until she is clean, she will not be apart of my wedding. There are so many wonderful things happening in my life right now and it makes me so sad that she isnt really here to experience them with me, even though she lives 15 mins away. I know that mentally she is not my sister. Thats the hardest part for me.