dating a recovered alcoholic

Old 07-28-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by nota View Post
Because we are friends and she has flirted with me bigtime, I know she will say yes if I ask. She may even ask me. It would be intense and I would jump right into a relationsip with her which is why I ask.
The best thing to do would be to sit down and talk with HER about it. We don't know her so anything we say doesn't really mean much. She is the one who can answer your questions.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nota View Post
It would be intense and I would jump right into a relationsip with her ...
That kind of behavior brought me a world of hurt for many years.

I didn't know what it was like to have a solid friendship with someone before having a relationship.

I can tell you that at a year clean/sober, I had no business being in a relationship.

I was still a babe in diapers when it came to the world of recovery.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

hey, nota,

welcome to sober recovery.

if you read through some of the posts here, you might hear some people talking about being in some pretty "intense" relationships. there is a dynamic at play with everyone who falls for someone, and unfortunately, it's not always in a good way. many of us have learned to recognize strong, almost-instant, attraction as a warning sign.

i would suggest visiting this site, attending an open aa meeting or two, and also a couple of al-anon meetings. there are scores of people who would like to help lead you to a discovery that can change your life.

would you like to share a little of your background? do you have history of being involved with an addict?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
hey, nota,

welcome to sober recovery.

if you read through some of the posts here, you might hear some people talking about being in some pretty "intense" relationships. there is a dynamic at play with everyone who falls for someone, and unfortunately, it's not always in a good way. many of us have learned to recognize strong, almost-instant, attraction as a warning sign.
Absolutely true. If you are going to go down this road, take things slowly.