I want a bill passed

Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Just because I love this thread and the meeting of the minds. I have to say that a national database is the best idea to be implemented in the pharmacies, BUT as working in a hospital, patients do not HAVE to give their social security/ medical insurance information for service, some don't even have one or the other. So the database idea would not work because it would be overly discriminatory and we would not have the correct data.... any ideas?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I don't want to lose any more of my privacy either, and an employer should always have to obtain my signature for my medical records according to HIPAA laws. If I do allow that, they will be able to access any prescriptions from about the last five years, that were filled using insurance.

Instead of controlled substances, how about certain classes of narcotics with common sense restrictions, like as prescribed and no more than one like-kind prescription at a time? I wouldn't think it'd be too hard to add them in with existing pseudoephedrine monitoring (that already operates under the like-kind premise).

The pharmacy is used to telling people no, call your doctor or insurance company. They're already the gatekeepers. I haven't heard of anyone hacking into a pharmacies national pseudoephedrine database yet, and there doesn't appear to be a lot of bureaucracy, either. There's no paperwork on my end, all they do is scan my drivers license zebra strip.

I suppose identity theft would skyrocket :-/
Old 07-26-2010, 05:59 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
cynical, the government sees all that now if someone's healthcare is provided or supplemented by taxes, like medicare. It provides protection against and consequences for fraud, for every taxpayer.

Would a national pharmaceutical database for controlled substances only, also provide protection against and consequences for fraud, for every taxpayer (jails, court, violent crimes)?

Help me out here and I'm being serious. I'm not trying to sway anyone to my thinking, I need you to challenge my thinking because it looks like I'm missing something here.
Thank You Chino, I don't think your missing anything. Every script you get is put into a data base. My point is to keep an eye out for controlled substances given to the addict that doesn't have a medical problem. At least within certain guidelines, something has to be done. I'm not trying to have the Government interfere with anyone's morning coffee if you know what I mean. Especially allergy medicine. Cynical one I guess you don't have any kids that are on the brink of death from prescription drugs. The government did that with the allergy meds because they were making meth with that drug. I guess maybe it has helped the meth problem, I don't really know much about it. So don't quote me. The meth labs were a big danger, and have you seen what that drug does to the addict?

If they did that with Claritin, my guess is it will happen with these other drugs as well. And then again, maybe not, it's a multi trillion dollar business, and when numbers like that are involved, they dont usually stop it because of the money. It's ridiculous.

What I am talking about is mostly the opiates, xanax and drugs like oxycontin that the 20 year old addict is shooting up, and dying from. That's about it. I understand that we all have different opinions. I can agree to disagree with out arguing or getting upset. Eventually something will happen. For now it is what it is. Every one is entitled to their own opinion. My guess is that something will be done with controlled substances eventually. Hopefully. The government already knows every move we make. Between the computer, EZ Pass, even our medical coverage. When enough people die from these pill mills handing out opiates, maybe then something will be done.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, now that the government already has powers it was NEVER designed to have, it's moving rapidly up and taking as much as it can and making as many laws as possible and it's NOT unthinkable that the government WILL EVENTUALLY regulate things as small as coffee and food intake. Remember the fat tax? If I am correct, New York does impose one? Or almost did? And the rest of the nation seemed all too happy to follow along.
My point would be how much money do we have to give in order to feel safe and at ease? To feel we've done ALL that we can do in order to stop the addict (or make them more cunning in obtaining their product because you know, you cannot stop them, of course unless you kill them or lock them in a padded cell with no way in or out, which would unfortunately kill them). To stop the drug dealer. To stop the criminals. To stop the terrorists? How many freedoms are we willing to give away? You know, the freedoms our FOREFATHERS fought long and hard for? They DIED FOR?
And again, start shedding light on the pain management clinics. Call the police. Call the media. The media will be your best friend as they will embellish the heck out of a story to make it really juicy. As for making new laws and signing bills in order to get them, it WILL unfortunately make it much harder on the honest doctors too. It has to be an across the board thing. Much like the home security act that was passed. We all know grandma ain't carrying no WMD's and we all know that you and I ain't either, but the government salivated at the thought of being able to control us some more and we were all too willing to give up our personal freedoms in order to feel safer in our homes and on airplanes. And now you, I, and grandma have to subject ourselves to stupid ritual searches in order to board a stupid plane. Hense why -I- drive everywhere. I know that, for now, in my car my bottle of shampoo is not a national threat.
But seriously. Want something done? Don't ask the government. They've botched up EVERYTHING. Including welfare, medicare, social security, etc. etc. Do it the old fashioned way. Yourself. Gather your friends. Surround those clinics with signs and protest. Call the police as soon as you suspect illegal activities. Call the local news stations and get your story heard on TV.
And I don't like the national data base for pseudoephedrine. Never have. I refuse to show my license in order to LEGALLY obtain medication. Since I won't do that, that means someone else has to in order to for me to get some when I am ill, OR I will get it off the street. And ya know, it's just too easy to get it off the street. And it didn't stop the criminals did it?? It only encouraged them to be more cunning, manipulative, thieving, and violent in order to get it. Thanks government. I, the law abiding citizen, didn't misuse the drug. The MINORITY of this country did and the MAJORITY is paying for it.
But I need to stop here. Like in my first post, this is a hot button subject and I am starting to lose my subjectivity because of my passion against the government interfering with my private life. Sorry about that..
I am serious though. Get out there and do it yourself! Protest like people do at abortion clinics. Signs, people dressed up. Stage death scenes. Stage arrest scenes. Get attention to those clinics.
Just be sure you're right about the clinics you protest.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CrackQuack View Post
My point would be how much money do we have to give in order to feel safe and at ease?
Thank you for that, it's direct and I can wrap my brain around it.

How much money do we have to give, to continue doing the same thing and getting more of the same results? We have more non violent criminals in our jails and prisons than anywhere in the world, and they're almost all drug related. Then we have many violent crimes that are drug related.

States and feds could change sentencing laws, but what about an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure?

I'd settle for state wide databases at this point, it's better than nothing.

For what's it worth, I'm Native American and the government has been interfering with my private life since before I was born. I'm ready for them to do something for me, instead of against me. Protect me damn it.

I've really enjoyed this discussion. Some see it as an infringement of liberty, others see it as protecting liberty.

And life will continue to go on, one day at a time
Old 07-27-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I'm not talking about coffee and every day things that don't kill us. I'm talking about hard core opiates that our kids are dying from, that's all. If the government doesn't do something about the problem with drugs, who will?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

As far as money, most of the addicts end up on the medicaid/ medicare system. We are paying for the drugs, rehabs, hospital od's, and funerals.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlebird77 View Post
That will hold doctors accountable for writing large doses of narcotics. Not only to addicts, but non-addicts.
Put benzodiazepines on the petition and I'll sign. The doctors are the "pushers" with benzodiazepines.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, now that the government already has powers it was NEVER designed to have, it's moving rapidly up and taking as much as it can and making as many laws as possible and it's NOT unthinkable that the government WILL EVENTUALLY regulate things as small as coffee and food intake. Remember the fat tax? If I am correct, New York does impose one? Or almost did? And the rest of the nation seemed all too happy to follow along.
My point would be how much money do we have to give in order to feel safe and at ease? To feel we've done ALL that we can do in order to stop the addict (or make them more cunning in obtaining their product because you know, you cannot stop them, of course unless you kill them or lock them in a padded cell with no way in or out, which would unfortunately kill them). To stop the drug dealer. To stop the criminals. To stop the terrorists? How many freedoms are we willing to give away? You know, the freedoms our FOREFATHERS fought long and hard for? They DIED FOR?
And again, start shedding light on the pain management clinics. Call the police. Call the media. The media will be your best friend as they will embellish the heck out of a story to make it really juicy. As for making new laws and signing bills in order to get them, it WILL unfortunately make it much harder on the honest doctors too. It has to be an across the board thing. Much like the home security act that was passed. We all know grandma ain't carrying no WMD's and we all know that you and I ain't either, but the government salivated at the thought of being able to control us some more and we were all too willing to give up our personal freedoms in order to feel safer in our homes and on airplanes. And now you, I, and grandma have to subject ourselves to stupid ritual searches in order to board a stupid plane. Hense why -I- drive everywhere. I know that, for now, in my car my bottle of shampoo is not a national threat.
But seriously. Want something done? Don't ask the government. They've botched up EVERYTHING. Including welfare, medicare, social security, etc. etc. Do it the old fashioned way. Yourself. Gather your friends. Surround those clinics with signs and protest. Call the police as soon as you suspect illegal activities. Call the local news stations and get your story heard on TV.
And I don't like the national data base for pseudoephedrine. Never have. I refuse to show my license in order to LEGALLY obtain medication. Since I won't do that, that means someone else has to in order to for me to get some when I am ill, OR I will get it off the street. And ya know, it's just too easy to get it off the street. And it didn't stop the criminals did it?? It only encouraged them to be more cunning, manipulative, thieving, and violent in order to get it. Thanks government. I, the law abiding citizen, didn't misuse the drug. The MINORITY of this country did and the MAJORITY is paying for it.
But I need to stop here. Like in my first post, this is a hot button subject and I am starting to lose my subjectivity because of my passion against the government interfering with my private life. Sorry about that..
I am serious though. Get out there and do it yourself! Protest like people do at abortion clinics. Signs, people dressed up. Stage death scenes. Stage arrest scenes. Get attention to those clinics.
Just be sure you're right about the clinics you protest.
we are aloud to speak about politics in this forum?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Just because I love this thread and the meeting of the minds. I have to say that a national database is the best idea to be implemented in the pharmacies, BUT as working in a hospital, patients do not HAVE to give their social security/ medical insurance information for service, some don't even have one or the other. So the database idea would not work because it would be overly discriminatory and we would not have the correct data.... any ideas?

Littlebird and Quack, I don't have any or all of the answers to the drug problems in this country. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm not a very involved person, and I can barely manage my own life with all that goes on in my own family. Addiction has consumed my family. I'm trying to keep myself straight, and desperately trying to help save my son. I refuse to give up on him. And I know I never will. I won't enable. But I won't give up. I'm not talking about coffee or things that don't kill our kids. I'm talking about the hard core opiates. Xanax and drugs that hit the streets for big money.

However, when I say things like I hope the Government puts a stop on these clinics and prevents these meds being given out like candy, I say that because I'm basically uneducated on what should or could really be done about this epidemic. I don't really know what will stop this. I say it off the top of my head out of pity for all the mothers who have lost their kids, and others who have lost their loved ones. Like you littlebird.

I say it out of my own knowledge from using and abusing the opiates myself, and suffering getting off of them. Even though it was 5 yrs ago, it feels like yesterday. I say it out of not knowing what should really be done.
I just want them to be harder for the addict to get. I don't want the government controlling everything and anything in our lives. I'm already annoyed that they take so much money out of my pocket for property tax, and income tax. I work for it, they take it. I do understand why, but sometimes I wish they would take just a little less, and leave something for me to play with. So I know that I don't know alot. And I never would act like I do.

What I do know, is that I had a severe problem with those pills myself, and I struggled getting off. I went through the wringer with my son, panicking that he would die from those pills. He managed to get mass quantities of them very easily. I have already buried my brother from this disease. I sign on to this site, and read of mother after mother who has buried her young beautiful child because of these drugs. And even if these drugs didn't kill them, they led them to the heroin that did.

I don't claim to have the answers. The truth is I don't know enough about it. I say it out of frustration because when I hear and see people dying daily. I know something has to be done. I'm sorry if some people take my posts the wrong way. I'm just wondering how many more people have to die.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Sorry, but I have to disagree. MOST doctors are ethical and practical. MOST addicts will do anything to get their hands on drugs while in active addiction, including LYING to their doctor. People who want to abuse drugs will also LIE in order to get scripts. HOW is this a doctor's fault? Like everyone else, they are human and subject to an addict's falsehoods.
People will ALWAYS abuse and misuse the system. Punishing people who cannot control others or are trying to do the right thing is NOT the way to go about bringing the change needed to stop people from abusing the system.
In other words, much like taking guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens DOES NOT stop a criminal from still obtaining guns themselves, punishing a doctor for writing a prescription will not stop an addict, abuser, drug dealer from taking advantage of the system.
I know. I know. HOT HOT topic. Both drugs and guns.. But the key point is if you punish law abiding doctors trying to be ethical, who is next? The pharmecuticals (sp?) who push the drugs onto the doctors? Then after you go for them, who is next? We're totally bypassing the problem.
A D D I C T I O N.
Simply put, I think more training for future doctors would be a very appropriate thing to do in response to weeding out people who will abuse the system or have potential to abuse the system. If they are better trained to look for key signs, it can help quite a few people.
Anything we do, some people will slip by and continue to abuse drugs. You, I, nor anyone BUT the addict can control the addict. We must learn to let go of control.
Laws, bills, jail, prison, fines, death, poverty. None of those things have stopped an addict before. So why punish a doctor for an addict's behavior?
Why punish the MAJORITY of good doctors for the one or two who are unethical?
Are we critically thinking about things before we feel the need to express a desire to add MORE laws to the books when the laws we already have in place are good enough?
And before we ask how can they be good enough, ask ourselves, can we really control an addict in active addiction? Or for that matter can we control ANYONE but ourselves.
Our prison rates have skyrocketed over 295% in the past 20 years (Bureau of Justice Statistics) due in part to the war on drugs. Yet addicts still are not deterred. Drug dealers are not deterred. People continue to use and people continue to sell. Trust me, I did a TEN PAGE paper on this very subject. Drugs, doctors, addicts, dealers, prisons... All of that.
It starts with US. Starts with people educating themselves and then educating young people and teaching the future generations to be responsible. Teaching them right from wrong. Providing them with HEALTHY alternatives to expressing their emotions. Far too long we've taught generations of people to hold back their emotions and not teach them how to deal with their emotions. And we've put enough people behind bars for the war on drugs cause. It's time to step back and start educating people and treating the problem of addiction and not just the symptoms.
An unethical doctor is a symptom. He or she are in it for pure profit and addicts are easy money to them.
An ethical doctor, which the majority ARE, will want to help people.
Before we think it's a wonderful idea to punish or restrict ethical doctors, let's start working on education and rehabilitation of the addicts and ourselves. Since the addicts are the "demand", if we can reach out to them (remember, we cannot control anyone but ourselves) and maybe get through to a lot of them, we remove them from the market and decrease the demand for supply, thus the dealers and unethical people will no longer make money and will no longer desire to "supply" anyone because they will not have addicts demanding.
Again, I know this is a hot topic, but honestly, we do not need any more laws, bills, restrictions on people trying to do the right thing just because of the people who are doing the wrong thing. It's not solving the problem.
Doctors are like plumbers, store clerks or any other profession. Some are dedicated most just figure it's a job. Now when a doctor does not bother to read up on the drugs he prescribes and ruins someones life should they not be accountable? Why do you feel the patient should be accountable for their actions but not the doctor?

and what makes you think that people who get addicted to drugs have lied to their doctors?? That is one heck of an assumption.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Ok, I looked at one of my ABF reports from his doctor.. It states that patient admits to taking 10 Vicodin daily when only prescribed 2 a day. Patient states medication is not strong enough...Doctor then prescribed OxyContin along with xanax... Now who's fault is that?
Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
tam

maybe a first step would be for the prescription coverage companies to put these meds on their regulatory list which would require doctors to "backup" with proper tests etc. why the patient needs them? the other day I received a list from my health/prescription policy of drugs that need medical evidence from doctors and pain meds arent listed on them, yet when I was in treatment my onc.had to fax over my blood work for my procrit to prove I was anemic. this took 2 seconds and was legit.
I bet ya if doctors had to take the time and prove why their patient needed pain meds they would be quick to stop prescribing them exp. if they have no conrete medical evidence for prescribing them to begin with.that would certainly put a dent in the problem at least.
I question why these patients get the drugs when MRI,CTSCANS, etc. are normal. my husband was given a drug to keep him awake a few months ago and our prescription drug coverage company denied it because he didnt fail a sleep study and that drug is on the list! that dr. dropped him like a hot potatoe! no money there and he was challenged as to why he was prescribing this med!
I believe its a start anyway and if patients have a real illness for pain a doctor can back that up very quick and wouldnt think twice about prescribing them or having them as a patient or worry about answering questions to why they are prescribing them to begin with, this might eleviate the problem somewhat.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mentor View Post
and what makes you think that people who get addicted to drugs have lied to their doctors?? That is one heck of an assumption.
I've been around the rooms of recovery since 1986 and have yet to meet an addict who was honest with any doctor while active in addiction.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Actually my ABF was very honest with his doctor. I read it all over the reports. I feel that because he was honest, the doctor trusted what he gave him would be used appropriately. Kind of like a reverse psychology game.
Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I've been around the rooms of recovery since 1986 and have yet to meet an addict who was honest with any doctor while active in addiction.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tam View Post
maybe a first step would be for the prescription coverage companies to put these meds on their regulatory list which would require doctors to "backup" with proper tests etc. why the patient needs them?

I question why these patients get the drugs when MRI,CTSCANS, etc. are normal.
I think that's an incredible idea and thank you.

OT here, but I wanted to say something really quick about CT scans. There's been a lot of controversy about radiation and regulation lately. If you google "cat scan cancer risk" you'll find some info about it.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Ok, I looked at one of my ABF reports from his doctor.. It states that patient admits to taking 10 Vicodin daily when only prescribed 2 a day. Patient states medication is not strong enough...Doctor then prescribed OxyContin along with xanax... Now who's fault is that?

That my dear is the DOCTORS FAULT. HE PRESCRIBED A LETHAL COCKTAIL OF HEART STOPPING DRUGS.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tam View Post
maybe a first step would be for the prescription coverage companies to put these meds on their regulatory list which would require doctors to "backup" with proper tests etc. why the patient needs them? the other day I received a list from my health/prescription policy of drugs that need medical evidence from doctors and pain meds arent listed on them, yet when I was in treatment my onc.had to fax over my blood work for my procrit to prove I was anemic. this took 2 seconds and was legit.
I bet ya if doctors had to take the time and prove why their patient needed pain meds they would be quick to stop prescribing them exp. if they have no conrete medical evidence for prescribing them to begin with.that would certainly put a dent in the problem at least.
I question why these patients get the drugs when MRI,CTSCANS, etc. are normal. my husband was given a drug to keep him awake a few months ago and our prescription drug coverage company denied it because he didnt fail a sleep study and that drug is on the list! that dr. dropped him like a hot potatoe! no money there and he was challenged as to why he was prescribing this med!
I believe its a start anyway and if patients have a real illness for pain a doctor can back that up very quick and wouldnt think twice about prescribing them or having them as a patient or worry about answering questions to why they are prescribing them to begin with, this might eleviate the problem somewhat.

Thank You for this tam, I said something pretty much the same as this in the beginning of the post. I was asking why these drugs were being prescribed to my son who has no medical issues, and why even though they gave him an MRI and nothing was found were they still prescribing large quantities of these drugs.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Freedom, you do have a point. Alot of addicts lie and are very resourceful when it comes to getting drugs. But, not all of them. Each side of this debate has valid points. I never lied to my doctor and I was prescribed large amounts of opiates also. Littlebirds boyfriend didn't lie, and he has passed away from these drugs. The same doctor prescribed the lethal cocktail that killed him.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:05 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
tam

Originally Posted by Chino View Post

OT here, but I wanted to say something really quick about CT scans. There's been a lot of controversy about radiation and regulation lately. If you google "cat scan cancer risk" you'll find some info about it.
I have to disagree with this, I have had numerous and I mean numerous ctscans for cancer in the past 12 years and never had a relapse caused by the radiation, lymphoma yes, but not from radiation. Now treatment with radiation is a different story. the dose of radiation from ctscans is low. its probaly more dangerous using cellphones.
what should be required to prescribe these meds is medical evidence from tests indicating an illness or injury. doesnt have to be often, but something like yearly.my husband has neck pain, yet his mri and ctscans are normal, his pain dr. just saids myofacial syndrome and prescribes high dose pain meds. why hasnt his condition improved? why did he go to living a normal life to being nothing now? it started out with a headache from a fall and has gone to being 100% disabled from these drugs, started with 1 pill a day and now takes 6,7,8,9 a day alongwith multiple other drugs, very dangerous cocktail, no one is questioning these doctors and it has to be addressed.