Questions about rehabs, etc?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about rehabs, etc?

I've seen it mentioned on here numerous times, about the Salvation Army's free program. Can anyone tell me more information?

I made the mistake of hanging out with my heroin addict friend. She convinced me she was trying to get better because she violated probation, failed drug tests, lots her license, etc. Truly, I felt sorry for her... and I missed my friend. I told her I would see her, drug free of course, and she complied. She looked like total ****. I haven't seen her in months, and she just looked BAD. After we split, she was on a mission to get to DC for more drugs...

Now, her mom is calling me trying to get me to help her locate my friend. I just don't want to be involved in this... and I feel sorry for her mom too. My friend has pawned all her belongings, she's borrowing money (she even tried to have me take her to the pawn shop to pawn her engagement ring). I just don't want to be involved, and I'm torn between my friendship with her, and helping her poor mother. Her mom knows I am her ONLY straight-laced friend, and I just don't want to do this.

Do you recommened any programs? She's been doing heroin consistently for a few months now, and before that it has always been something. Crack, cocaine, OC'S, etc. She's already lost her daughter (not legally), car, license, a home, all her belongings, and those who care for her. Yet, she's not at her bottom. She claims she wants help, yet she's running for more drugs.

Do I just let go again, like I did three months ago? I'm not sure what to do. I don't really want to protect her, because that's enabling her... I don't know what to do...
Old 07-12-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Let go and let God.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jenny,

I know this is hard, but you have to let go. If you allow yourself to get pulled in any further, you may go down with her while trying to save her. Let go now while you're not too far in. You know she's not at her bottom, and you know she won't really be seeking help until she hits bottom. Addicts are amazingly resourceful. When she decides she's ready, she'll find a way to get the help she needs.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Let go. When she reaches her bottom she will seek recovery. Until then there is nothing you can do.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BBD

Let go honey and try to convince her mom to do the same. She'll come around when she really has had enough...Trust me!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jenny1232 View Post
Yet, she's not at her bottom. She claims she wants help, yet she's running for more drugs.
The last time my daughter relapsed, I told her "Please let me know if you need my help when you're ready and I'm sorry. Please be very careful and I love you."
Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your feedback/opinions/advice.

I guess I felt so bad talking to her mom, because I could hear her desperation. She lost her only son a few years ago (he drank himself to death, was in his late 30s I believe) and now my friend is her only child left... She's worried about aids and death, and being in the city alone, and I just felt so bad for her...

I decided to step away. I told her mom I don't know anything, and I can't get involved. As for my friend, time to give up, again. I didn't expect too much from her, and I still don't. Sucks and I miss her since we've been best friends for ten years, but she's too toxic for me, and she'll wear me out.