Community service....

Old 06-29-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Community service....

I am a busy mom. of 2 kids..so I do not do ALOT of outside help...I did volunteer for a RECOVERY group for 2 years...helping out with my children...NOW....

1) leave a FORUM book at the doctors office (or pass it on)
2) offer a simple smile where ever I go...
3) pass it forward....give to charity

what do you do??
Old 06-30-2010, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

For several years (before we moved), I volunteered at a women`s shelter, mostly fundraising but also dropping by sometimes to entertain the kids while the mamas had some counseling. Sometimes it was heart breaking, but mostly it was rewarding in so many ways. This place has since set up living accommodations, complete with security and counseling, where abused women can start again, get training and find jobs, and can live there with their children for up to 18 months, I think.

Too many women used to return to abusive situations because they really had no place else to go. Now they have a better option and can keep themselves and their children safe.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Hmm - I think being a member HERE is a community service . . .

I know when I am feeling overwhelmed, scared and alone - I can come here and my SR family helps me -

I would hope that my replies, comments and post lends the same type of support to others.

HUGS,
Rita
Old 06-30-2010, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Several years back, when I was first introduced to addiction through my son, I volunteered at a womans transitional housing facitily to help cook and serve Thanksgiving dinner. I'll admit part of the reason was that I didn't want to do the traditional family thing, but I am glad that I had the experience. It certainly makes you take a look at what you have.
I haven't made it back, but I send them a few bucks every year to help in the effort.

And, I often try to leave with a smile as you mentioned. It makes me feel good and I hope it makes others feel the same. I'll admit though, there are days that I'm better off avoiding all eye contact
Old 06-30-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Japic05 View Post
Hmm - I think being a member HERE is a community service . . .

I know when I am feeling overwhelmed, scared and alone - I can come here and my SR family helps me -

I would hope that my replies, comments and post lends the same type of support to others.

HUGS,
Rita
Rita,
your replies, comments and posts do lend support to me.
and that picture (you?) draped in pink makes me smile.
thank you.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
Rita,
your replies, comments and posts do lend support to me.
and that picture (you?) draped in pink makes me smile.
thank you.
Aww - thanks!

yes the picture is of ME -

that was taken last year in front of my hotel room at an AA convention when I was the Al-Anon speaker.

That's when I was the receiver of "Community Service"

Several of my recovery ladies from another state traveled many hours to come give me support as I shared my Al-Anon story. I was asked to share this before my ex & I split. The majority of the people there were members of my ex's home group and this was during the time when my ex was really giving me a difficult time (you can read my old post for all that old drama)

My friends knew what my "PINK" stands for and so they decorated my hotel room and the front door of my room with PINK stuff everywhere!!!!!!!! To give me strength, courage and wisdom to hold my head high and to share my experience, strength and Hope.

IT was Awesome!!!

The room was packed with people in PINK shirts and the gentleman that was making the cd's told me I was one of his best sellers for the weekend~

God and my recovery family & THE PINKNESS did for me what I could not do for myself!

PINK HUGS to you!!!

(Fourmaggie - hope I didn't Highjack your thread)

Rita
Old 06-30-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

1. I give $1 of each paycheck to the United Way. Not much, but every bit helps.

2. I act as an adult volunteer at my daughter's Girl Scout Camp for a week each summer.

3. I try to shop more at the local Salvation Army store than anywhere else. Each and every penny of profit from that store goes to drug and alcohol rehap programs so it is a double blessing - I get more junk I need, they get the money.

4. I also donated my last car to the SA as well for the same purpose.

5. Lastly, I do try to practice the 12th Step even though I haven't really needed Al-Anon for the last few years [more of a codie now ]. If someone needs a book or a meeting list or even someone to go with them to a meeting, I would be happy to go even though I'm not really active in that anymore. Also loaned out some ACOA books which seems to have really helped someone who needed them.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I volunteered for many years assisting the elderly and disabled. After taking a much needed break, I discovered I preferred random acts. I call them hit and runs because I practice anonymity when I help someone. There is so much joy on both sides when I say my name doesn't matter and/or nope, I don't want your money.

I've seriously considered making a commitment to volunteer with our local VA hospital, and have interviewed with them twice. I have a ton of experience they need. I hesitate because I remember how involved I became in the lives of the others I helped before. I think I still need a little more practice at home with this detachment thing
Old 06-30-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

@RITA...no love, you did not...and I might add, you look wonderful in PINK....I am glad that WE can have some form of community service...whatever that may be... always brings a smile to my face...!!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I teach various crafts at my local " Boys & Girls Club". I bring all the supplies and donate my time. Sometimes there are 20 kids in the class, that is a real test of my patience.

Last year we made miniature booths for the county fair, they were on display and the children were so proud of their ribbons!

The smiles on their faces make it all worthwhile and just maybe my little contribution will keep one child off of drugs, if so, I have been successful!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

donating time is a great pleasure for me....especially with my kids and doing a random of anything....

last week I did something I would never normally do...but i did, and I felt great afterwards and proud that i could do this for a couple....