Long time since I've been here...

Old 06-29-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long time since I've been here...

My AH had been clean for over 3 years and about 6 months ago our family doctor thought it was wise to give him 180 oxycotin pills. I found out and made my boundries clear. I have worked hard to not engage in this behavior. I refused to snoop and nag. Well, as Nar Anon promised, he got so sloppy I didn't have to snoop. I have seen little signs and today while helping him out with his work (he's self employed) I found him injecting something into his arm. He tried to make every excuse possible but I wasn't listening. I told him I would finish what I was working on and then I wanted to go home. He dropped me off and headed to his next job. That was 6 hours ago - 4 more than it should have taken. Here I am, back at home taking care of the kids and he is off doing who knows what! I refuse to engage in this game. Fortunately the neighbor took my kids for ice cream and I am taking this opportunity to vent and move on. I am very proud of myself, as I haven't called his phone, I haven't hunted him down, and I'm still here! Just wondering what I tell the kids when they ask why he hasn't come home. They were just beginning to heal. Thanks for reading and by the grace of God, I will make it thru!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

You are strong, this is good, it will work in your favor.

He is into some nasty stuff, do what you have to do to protect you and your children.

We are here for you keep posting.

Hugs,
Dolly
Old 06-29-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BBD

3 years clean and "Zap". All that work, a business of his own and some Dr. prescibes junk. Did the Dr. know he's been an addict in the past..or still is. (Excuse me)))...but it does sound like your in a good place and have things covered. I feel for you rcutch...lots of decisons to make. Stay strong and keep those kids safe. Smiles, Bonnie
Old 06-29-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank You
IT helps to read this. I was trying to decide if I should stay with my heroin addicted bf because he is in rehab and been clean for 5 months. To see you write about this, after 3 yrs and with children, helps me realize what I need to do.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BBD - It was the same DR who signed the papers to admit him into rehab twice! Needless to say - I have a new family dr.

Recovery Junkie - I can only speak from my personal situation. I can tell you my husband and I have had the conversation numerous times - if we didn't have kids we wouldn't be together. Please don't get me wrong. I love him with all my heart, and he is a good man when he is sober, but living with an addict is hard. Best of luck to you!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So sorry, rchutch. Kids above all else, OK?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are strong, and determined to do whatever your inner voice tells you is the right thing.

Welcome back
Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope that you will take every precaution necessary to protect yourself since he's an IV drug user, and to protect those kids too. That is a high-risk environment for all of you.

My EXAH and I were both IV drug users, and after I went through rehab, I never went back home to him.

I did not know at the time, nor did he, but he contracted HIV while sharing needles with someone else during the time I was in rehab.

That man was buried a few years ago at the tender age of 47, complications due to AIDS.

It breaks my heart to think that my oldest daughter was living with two IV drug users for five years of her early life.

If you're staying with him 'because of the kids', I highly recommend you hop over to the Adult Children of Alcoholics/Addicts forum and read the long-term effects on those who grew up in such homes.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rcutch View Post
BBD - It was the same DR who signed the papers to admit him into rehab twice! Needless to say - I have a new family dr.

Recovery Junkie - I can only speak from my personal situation. I can tell you my husband and I have had the conversation numerous times - if we didn't have kids we wouldn't be together. Please don't get me wrong. I love him with all my heart, and he is a good man when he is sober, but living with an addict is hard. Best of luck to you!

That helps too. I am not with him now although I love him so much. I dont think I can live with addiction. It wouldnt be fair to myself.