Regaining normalcy

Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Regaining normalcy

There is no longer the urgent need to know what my sister is doing and if she's ok. I used to worry that she'd end up dead in a gutter and we would never know. It's been weeks since she hit the streets and she seems to be fitting in to her crazy lifestyle better than I expected. I guess I kept seeing her as my innocent, street-stupid big sis and not the street walking, crack house hopper she's become.

I'm surprised but happy that my parents seem to be getting to that point too. My mother hasn't been in contact with sis's exbf in almost a week and she's stopped calling sis's phone. Sis is apparently shacking up with some guy now and kiting checks all over the city. I'm not worried, the law will catch up to her eventually. Jail almost seems like a good thing now as opposed to the nail-biting worst case scenario it used to be.

Sis did make a surprise visit the other day and she seemed pretty normal. It was the first visit that I didn't project into the future any idea of recovery. Good thing too because I would've been disappointed by the text to my mom saturday night asking for money. Wouldn't you know it? She needed to pay the electric bill in cash that very night or the lights would be cut off. Mom and dad declined. I hope she has a flashlight.

All in all though it's good to be picking up the pieces and going days without thinking of her.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, and I almost forgot to add! Nephew is back with grandma and he's warming up to her. It was rocky at first but we're building a relationship with her as well. I see her reasons for being suspicious of us (we're the addict's family after all) but that's lessening as time goes on. It's great to be able to have nephew come visit now without it being some middle of the night fighting craziness that his mother would pull on me.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Sis))) - I'm glad you're able to detach and go on with your life, without the constant worrying about your sister. I once WAS your sister...her story is VERY similar to mine, though not the kiting of checks.

The law DID catch up on me (felony charge from when I was a took drugs from my job as a nurse while high on crack, got put on probation and never bothered to report), though it took a while.

I will forever be grateful to MY family that they detached and let me fall on my face and find my own way back up. Not only am I convinced that it allowed me to hit bottom faster, but they also showed me that "life goes on...it doesn't revolve around YOU!!" Once I had some clean time, I really wanted to be a part of their lives again, and I knew the only way to do that was to STAY clean and get my act together.

Sounds like great news about your nephew, too. I'm sure his g'ma sees that you and your family aren't the enemies, now...you may be your sister's FAMILY, but you aren't HER and you aren't responsible for what she does.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-15-2010, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you are doing better, Sis. It feels so liberating, doesn't it?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

so hard to get to this point, but glad u did!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. It comes and goes, but it's trending towards healing. I know I wouldn't be where I am now if not for my support group both online and in real life!