Mental health and addiction

Old 06-12-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mental health and addiction

Does anyone know the link between mental illness and addiciton??
Old 06-12-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lots of stuff out there. My XAH was thought to be bipolar and used drugs to self medicate the swings. Nobody can determine that though for the most part until they're clean. There is a mental health board on SR. Maybe ask there?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nichole, I realize you love your brother very much. What concerns me is what are you doing for yourself to recover from the effects of your addiction?

Have you checked into Alanon or Naranon in your area? Have you read "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie?

My brother is a recovering addict for many years now. We have a good relationship because he has his program, and I have my own program of recovery.

It's not my job to assess, analyze, debate, or agonize over choices he has made in his life.

What is Nichole doing for Nichole today? :ghug3
Old 06-12-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been told the same thing.. can't get a good diagnosis till they r clean.. effects of drugs mimic depression,bipolar disorder, etc.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep, same here. My son's "bipolar" was diagnosed at the same time that his drug use started. Which came first....the chicken or the egg?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Many addicts have mental illnesses. Many addicts do NOT have mental illnesses. As a former RN, yes, addicts DO need to be clean for a year before an adequate mental assessment can be made.

((Nichole)) - I agree with ((Freedom)). Trying to analyze why your brother has done what he has done is not your job, sweetie. It will drive you crazy. Even if an addict DOES have mental illness, it is totally up to THEM to follow prescribed treatment. Some prefer to "self-medicate", remaining addicts. Except in rare cases, with severe mental illness, it's their choice.

I know I've done the same thing. I've been so wrapped up in what's going on with someone else in my life, someone I love dearly, that I can't think of much else. I later realized it was my way of not dealing with ME and MY life. Didn't want to admit it at the time...yeah, I knew I had a few "issues", but they weren't THAT bad, or so I thought.

Back then, it was normal. Now, I see it as a codie "red flag". I'm not trying to be harsh, really, I'm not...I just see a lot of me...in you.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-12-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just caught my typo. I meant to say "recover from the effects of his addiction on you."

Geeesh, I think I've burnt out my brain cells in college!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wasnt asking because of my brother, I already know he is bipolar, i was asking for myself........I have depression and panic disorder and i have an eating problem, and i know MANY people with mental illness have some kind of an addiction, just didnt know if it went hand in hand
Old 06-12-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nichole, I said this is another post to you:

Just about everyone on all sides of our family have an addiction (from caffeine to nicotine, to sugar carbs, to alcohol, to opiates), and the common denominator is low levels of beta endorphins/dopamine.

Endorphins are hormones.

I don't know all the ins and outs about panic attacks, but I do know that it comes from faulty regulation of adrenaline in the central nervous system. Adrenaline is another hormone.

I think you mentioned that you have a psychiatrist? Hormones are your common denominator here. Ask them to explain the physiology of your addiction and panic attacks. Ask them if therapy, and what kind, would be a helpful addition to your medical treatment.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((Nichole)) I'm sorry that I assumed you were talking about your brother.

((Chino)) is right about the endorphins/adrenaline/dopamine. I know it may sound foreign, but HIGH levels of these things can give people a "rush"...like when someone likes roller coasters...when you top that big hill? Too much can cause panic, too little can cause depression.

It's definitely worth checking into.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-13-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nichole78 View Post
I wasnt asking because of my brother, I already know he is bipolar, i was asking for myself........I have depression and panic disorder and i have an eating problem, and i know MANY people with mental illness have some kind of an addiction, just didnt know if it went hand in hand
"People with co-occurring disorders typically develop them in one of three ways:

1) They first develop a mental health problem and then turn to drinking/ drugging in attempt to reduce symptoms and feel better.
2) They first develop an addiction, which in turn induces a mental health problem. In other cases, the mental health disorder is relatively minor, and the addiction becomes the catalyst that brings it out or makes it worse.
3) Some people are genetically more vulnerable to addiction, or to a mental health disorder, or to both- just as some are more likely than others to lose their hearing as they age.

Other people may be more vulnerable to co-occurring disorders because of their environment or life experience."

Taken from the book: Living with Co-occurring Addiction and Mental Health Disorders by Mark McGovern