SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Reading for parents of addicted children.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/202017-reading-parents-addicted-children.html)

tjp613 05-29-2010 05:32 AM

Reading for parents of addicted children....

I'm only halfway through this book, but I HIGHLY recommend it already, especially if your addicted child is still living at home and/or still sucking you dry of your emotional energy and other resources:

Don't Let Your Kids Kill You: A Guide for Parents of Drug and Alcohol Addicted Children (Charles Rubin)

Run, don't walk, and buy this book ASAP.

Chino 05-29-2010 08:36 AM

I'm paraphrasing a comment posted on the site:

When addicts are active, you're having conversations with the drug, not the person.

It took me about a year to realize and accept that. I hope parents new to this realize and accept that a lot sooner, for their own well being.

keepinon 05-29-2010 09:53 AM

read it.loved it!

Hope44 05-29-2010 10:30 AM

I happened on that book in Barnes and Noble one day, sat down, and practically read the entire thing. I remember a section in there having to do with 8 signs it is time for an addicted son or daughter to go and our AD fit seven of them.

Good book - glad you found it.

tjp613 05-29-2010 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hope44 (Post 2610962)
I happened on that book in Barnes and Noble one day, sat down, and practically read the entire thing. I remember a section in there having to do with 8 signs it is time for an addicted son or daughter to go and our AD fit seven of them.

Good book - glad you found it.

Is this the list? Any one reason is enough...

#1 The addict is violent
#2 Stress: you have more headaches, depression, illness, suicidal thoughts
#3 Your property is destroyed
#4 Your money or property is stolen
#5 The addict is a bad influence on other siblings
#6 You can't take the lies anymore
#7 You're facing financial disaster
#8 The addict won't go into recovery

Hope44 05-30-2010 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by tjp613 (Post 2611223)
Is this the list? Any one reason is enough...

#1 The addict is violent
#2 Stress: you have more headaches, depression, illness, suicidal thoughts
#3 Your property is destroyed
#4 Your money or property is stolen
#5 The addict is a bad influence on other siblings
#6 You can't take the lies anymore
#7 You're facing financial disaster
#8 The addict won't go into recovery

Yep, that's the list. The only one she doesn't quite fit is #1, unless you want to count a few door slams. It has been a somewhat slow process, realizing it is best that our AD go... but seeing this list staring back at me that day was a compelling confirmation.