when family doesn't understand..

Old 05-23-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when family doesn't understand..

what do you do? my parents just don't understand his addiction and they hate his guts now for it. they don't want him in my house (which my father owns). how do you handle something like this?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There really isn't a whole lot that you can do about that. They love you and hate what he's put you through. As far as getting them to like him or tolerate him - you probably can't. Try to keep the focus on you and what's in the best interest of your kids. You've not made any solid decisions on what you're going to do, right? Until then I'd just ask that your parents give you the space to decide which path you're going to take.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

My parents had my ex pegged. They were 100% right, I wish I had listened to them, would have saved me alot of grief and money.

Really don't have any advice. Keep in mind that your parents have your best interest at heart.

Dolly
Old 05-23-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know the situation you are in. Even though my husband has 22 years sober, he has been a dry drunk for years. When we first got together my family loved him and even now my sister agrees that he really did alot to help me stay clean and sober.
After he had his heart attack alot changed. He couldn't work construction any more, so our income dropped. Because we got into alot of debt and the dry drunk attitude, my parents no longer like my husband. They treat him horribly at family events and put him down constantly.
I don't know your exact situation, but the suggestion that Callie gave you is good. It's impossible to make someone who is not an Alcoholic/addict understand the disease and how it affects our lives.
I will keep you in my prayers.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you guys. i'm going to end up having a stroke when the sh*t really hits the fan - which i imagine will be soon.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you can get them to go to a good open AA meeting, that might help. I know it has helped spouses of As understand. Of course this is no guarantee that your A will get better.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
grateful rca

don't have any advice, just want you to know that you and your family will be in my prayers.