OT: Prayers please

Old 05-05-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Prayers please

My area (mid south) was mostly just a blip on national news, but we were devastated by a flood. I was spared and I live on the river, but some of my neighbors were not. It's ironic that I'm the only one who had flood insurance.

Our state applied for and now has FEMA assistance, but that won't bring back lost lives. Thousands of homes/businesses lost and families displaced, and now a water shortage that will probably get worse before it gets better.

If you can add us to your prayers they will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh Chino, prayers coming your way. I knew flooding was terrible down south.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

I'm so sorry, I didn't realize this was going on!

(((....)))
Old 05-05-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Miss Done, hardly anyone knew about it

This is a blog making the rounds and it pretty much sums up the way we're all feeling.

We Are Nashville | Section 303
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

anvil, it's weird how some heard about us but not the rest of the country. I have family scattered all over and they all pay attention to the news (most are fiends about the news), yet not a one of them knew what happened until I posted on facebook. Just weird!

The main artery out of my neighborhood was flooded and we became an island. Everyone handled it well and neighbors were helping each other. People were bringing in supplies by boat and monster trucks LOL! I can get out today, the water receded about 10 feet but still up by about 15ft. Just in time for my therapy session this afternoon and howdy, do I need it. I thought my daughter might lose her mind (the whole H.A.L.T. thing) but she was a trooper, staying busy and avoiding anyone or thing that might add to stress.

I am so grateful for just about everything right now!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My daughter drove home from Nashville today. She is attending college there. So many people have been affected. We are driving back to Nashville Friday to move the rest of her stuff out of the dorm. We are taking much needed supplies, food etc. to people we know are volunteering helping others clean up. Please continue to pray for the people of TN. They will need your prayers for a long time. Think of it as a Katrina without the hurricane!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a news junkie so I have heard about the flooding.

I can't even imagine the feeling of helplessness people must feel as the water rises around them.

You're all in my thoughts and prayers....
Old 05-05-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I got together with some friends this evening and we used Cinco De Mayo as an excuse to celebrate something, anything. All we talked about was this flood but, as one lady said, at least we had each other.

I ended up raising hell at the restaurant because a toilet was clogged but still running. No one else could hear it but me, and that's probably because of dealing with addiction. I have supersonic hearing by now and all my senses are fine tuned. Anyway, the manager looked stunned when I demanded he turn it off. Not because he was opposed to it, because he didn't think about it and said as much. We take so much for granted.

Everyone here is suffering some level of anxiety, including my therapist. He didn't even want to go home, it's so bad.

If anyone has a dime to spare we need it. havehope is right, it's like Katrina without the hurricane.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Chino))) many, many prayers for all involved in this. I was in a flood situation, years ago, and some idiot had built our water treatment plant ON a river bank, so though we had a ton of flood water, we had no running water for 18 days. Like you, I was spared, but every road, in every direction from my house was flooded for a few days. It does make you remember what to be grateful for, pretty fast.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-06-2010, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

(((Chino))) I didn't know either, but will keep you and all the people there in my prayers.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((Chino)))
How horrible. Prayers being sent....
Old 05-12-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In light of the codie thread posted right now, I'm taking a chance people can help me out here.

I alternate between being empathetic, codependent, suffering PTSD flashbacks and sometimes all three at the same time. My mom never called once and tried to minimize it after I finally sent her an email. I know it isn't personal, it's a reflection of her, and it isn't like we've ever had a warm relationship. I just would have thought she'd care at least a tiny bit, you know? This is like another nail in the coffin.

I've got PSTD from way back when and it reared it's ugly head because of this flood. "No one knows or cares what just happened" came rushing back about three days after the river crested (hows that for a classic delayed reaction), and then my dam gates opened. I cried and cried and cried. I wanted to keep crying, let it all out, and watched, read every video and story I could find. Now I have survivors guilt and want to fix everyone's problems around here. I know that's not healthy and I realistically can't, so now I'm just floating (pardon the pun) in limbo until my therapy session next week.

I'm even feeling weird about seeing my therapist because he has damages, and I know I have to tell him that, get our ship righted so to speak.

I'm killing myself with all the 'dam' water related analogies, including this one *sigh*

I don't know what I'm asking for. Help? Sympathy? I think I just need someone to care at least one more day.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I care (((Chino)))...and others do too.

Hang in there just a bit more and the sun will come out for you...I promise
Old 05-12-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I wanted to also add...

There have been times that something has tripped the cry switch in me and I've cried until it physically hurt. I'm never sure what specifically caused the flood gates to open (sorry, now I'm doing it too), but afterward I'm often in a better place to pinpoint the problem and begin to work in a solution.

Just the fact that you are able to explain yourself here is a step in the right direction, I think.

Natural disasters are so very hard to explain, or to wrap one's mind around. Just know that we are thinking of you.
(((Hugs)))
Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
BBD

Chino, I am so sorry I haven't been on this thread before now. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Flooding has got to be the worse thing to clean up. I have a dear friend that lives down there and she had kept us all aware of what was happening. She was ready for the mattress in the tub stint at one point.......and about those tears~~go ahead. I did just that yesterday after reading some stuff on here that I just couldn't put together. Today~~I'm better so I'm hoping you are too...hugs and smiles, Bonnie
Old 05-12-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
I don't know what I'm asking for. Help? Sympathy? I think I just need someone to care at least one more day.
Oh Chino... I didn't see your thread til today... so sorry to hear this.

My exH's family lives in Nashville and they were flooded (River Plantation Subdivision)... no flood insurance. Ex's father passed away April 15th and 3 weeks later... his 80 year old mother and older sister both lost their homes... total loss... total devastation.

ExH did not go to Nashville to help!!! Said he didn't live in Nashville anymore... stayed home and hung out with his drug buddies! I was stunned by his lack of empathy for his mother and sister. He says he doesn't connect with his mom and sister like he did with his dad (a.k.a. manipulate)...

I watched via livestream channel 4 news and my breath was taken away at the level of devastation... I looked for the flood on my local news and all I got was oil spill and NYC failed bombing attempt...

I think folks are just beginning to realize the magnitude of the 1,000 year flood. Youtube has been a great source of info. Tennessee has a great Governor and Nashville has a great Mayor... seems like they are doing all they can to assist.

You are in my prayers.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

(((Chino))) - oh, sweetie, I care. I understand the survivor's guilt and the overwhelming flood of emotions (yeah, I'm doing it, too). Sometimes we've just got to cry until we're done. I'm not working tonight, so if you need someone to talk to, give me a call...I'm here for you.

Love, hugs, and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-12-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
My exH's family lives in Nashville and they were flooded (River Plantation Subdivision)... no flood insurance. Ex's father passed away April 15th and 3 weeks later... his 80 year old mother and older sister both lost their homes... total loss... total devastation.
Oh my God, that area is suffering terribly and I'm crying again. I can't imagine how they're coping. Everyone here is being so stoic yet very open about their pain and the challenges they face. Everyone here is also doing whatever they can to help each other out and hopefully you're former in-laws have experienced that. Estimates today are that close to a million dollars in volunteer hours have been logged since last week!

All of us here with survivors guilt don't want to talk about it, because we feel guilty about feeling guilty! It's just so crazy!!!

I don't know if I feel better right now for having said anything, but I do feel different. Maybe better will follow. All I can do is hope, right?

Amy, speaking of hope, you give me hope all the time. On second thought, I think I do feel better
Old 05-12-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
Oh my God, that area is suffering terribly and I'm crying again. I can't imagine how they're coping. Everyone here is being so stoic yet very open about their pain and the challenges they face. Everyone here is also doing whatever they can to help each other out and hopefully you're former in-laws have experienced that. Estimates today are that close to a million dollars in volunteer hours have been logged since last week!

All of us here with survivors guilt don't want to talk about it, because we feel guilty about feeling guilty! It's just so crazy!!!

I don't know if I feel better right now for having said anything, but I do feel different. Maybe better will follow. All I can do is hope, right?

Amy, speaking of hope, you give me hope all the time. On second thought, I think I do feel better
"If God takes you to it... He'll get you thru it."

I'm encouraged to hear people being open about their challenges... I think it's a healthy attitude. My ex's sister and mother had church members help them remove and clean-up the debris...

I noticed on youtube a business was "adopting" two families from River Planation... providing them with housing, clothes, food, transportation and clean-up and re-building assistance... they encouraged other business' to do the same...

Remain hopeful... a lot of good WILL come of this... after all it is Nashville!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I too, am sorry I missed this thread when first posted.

A prayer is right now being said.

Flood damage was the worst thing to clean up, when my husband and I went to the town/home of his parents. It is just devastating, and so hard to clean up after. I cried a lot when I saw what I saw.

I hope you're feeling less of that survivor guilt. You have had a lot of things happen in your life, that you've had to deal with. These other people are having this. There isn't a giant tally sheet of course, but we all have life's bad hands dealt from time to time - no one gets every one of them, and no one gets a pass.