Sought thru prayer and meditation

Old 05-04-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sought thru prayer and meditation

At last night's meeting we talked about Step 11 - "Sought thru prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out."

It was a terrific meeting, with a lot of people sharing how they had worked that step. I've always loved step 11 - one of the ones that can be worked anytime, anywhere, and I didn't have to wait until I was 'ready" to work that step.

I remember when I was living in active craziness and stress, praying to God to fix this, stop that, make him see this... etc etc. It took me some time in recovery to understand that a Higher Power was in charge of other people's lives, and it wasn't up to me. That's the part about "praying only for knowledge of His will for us". Amazingly, it wasn't my job to tell God how to do HIS job.

How do you pray? How do you meditate? I'd be interested to learn how others work this marvelous step.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Great topic, Cats.

I was raised to pray only for courage or strength or forgiveness, or to show gratitude, and to keep it to the point because God was very busy.

I read once in something Melody Beattie wrote that said "Pray for anything you want, God will sort out the junk".

I loved that because it let me just "talk" to God, anytime I wanted about anything I wanted and then just trust that He would take care of things in His own way.

I pray every morning and ask for guidance for the day, and I pray for others. I pray every evening just to say "thank You" for good days and bad because each brings its own gift.

I talk to God when I feel His presence. Sometimes that is on a walk through nature where I am most inspired and know that this beautiful world is not a cosmic accident.

Sometimes I talk to God just to help me talk through my problems. Sometimes I get mad at God and know that's okay because God listens to even whiners like me.

Meditation is when I listen to what God has to tell me or show me. Often it is something simple like a sunrise or a deer running by. Sometimes it's in a holy place, like church or a cemetary or someplace quiet where God speaks in quiet breezes.

If I can give credit to any one thing in my recovery, it has been a spiritual awakening that opened my heart, opened my eyes and ears and connected me with that Higher Power that I choose to call God.

Thank you, Melody Beattie for writing those words so long ago, so that a codie like me could read them and begin the best part of my journey...the spiritual part.

Hugs
Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

How do I pray/meditate?
Oh let me count the ways:

sometimes it is a solemn pray on my knees

a quiet conversation on my drive to work

quick meaningful prayer over my keyboard so that I type the words that can express E, S, & H to a hurting SR or Al-Anon friend

maybe it's singing off key to a song that Praises the God of my understanding or expresses how I'm feeling that moment

maybe it's quietly holding that hands of a friend in need-simply saying "God we need you"
or "God, Serenity, Courage, Strength, Wisdom"

And then last but not least - it's my journal - my private writings - my sharings of my hearts desires, thoughts, fears and dreams - our time God and me - when we share what we have gone thru together -

it's the most wonderful, beautiful relationship and conversations I have ever had.
I'm so very grateful - before recovery I had a good relationship with my God - since recovery it has become an AWESOME one!

PINK HUGS to all,
Rita
Old 05-04-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to have conversations with myself inside my own head all the time, but now I view them as conversations with my Creator. It helps me maintain the constant contact I knew as a child and need as an adult. I'm never alone and that's the most beautiful feeling
Old 05-04-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Funny, I was walking today and a big swan flew over and landed in the water not far off the path...then he just swam along the same direction as I was walking.

I smiled to myself and thought "God's following me through this swan".

Yup, nature is my direct line to God and vise versa.

Hugs
Old 05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tam

for the holidays a close friend of mine gave me a crystal cross with the words HOPE on it, I keep it on my night stand. each night before I go to sleep while laying down in total silence, I hold the cross and pray. afterwards I meditate and relax for awhile then go to sleep.
I also go to the church when no one is there and light candles in remembrance of my loved ones and pray there as well, when I leave I feel good inside.
during my lunch hour I take a walk by myself over a dam surrounded by a reservoir,mountains, look up at the sky and talk to god. again, such a great feeling.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Pray twice a day here, when I wake up and when I'm ready to sleep. I simply thank God that I'm here and alive. Often other wonderful things that I'm thankful for come out. During the day, I'll often pray at random times. If someone asks for a prayer, or knows someone who is in need of one, if I pass a church or sometimes when I see the crucifix in my home.

Meditation is done about six p.m. I take that time to just relax my mind. Sometimes I do the Catholic "hours" and have my mind spend time on the psalms. Other times I simply meditate on the good of the day.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sometimes I feel very distant from my HP (who I happen to call God).

I try to involve him conversations that I have in my head about things...

I might thank him for my many blessings or a beautiful day...

Lately, things have been really tough around here...dealing with my exah's psychotic break, having to involuntarily commit him to a psych ward, allowing him to come home against my own wishes and better judgment, seeing him deteriorate quickly before my very eyes, having to evict him from my home, feeling on the verge of a nervous breakdown myself, feeling angry and disgusted with myself, feeling guilty for not learning whatever lesson I'm supposed to be learning from all of this quick enough...

Its just been really tough

Sometimes I don't even know what to say to Him. What to pray for. Where to even begin.

I've been in this spot before.

And I know that if I can just stop struggling to come up with the right questions or petitions for him...If I can just sit still enough...for long enough...He will lead me out of this mess and back to solid ground.

Sometimes, like tonight...I just have to open my heart, clear my mind, and trust that He's working in my life even though I don't see it.

I really believe that sometimes we just have to sit quietly and let God come to us.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

(((Limb)))
Old 05-06-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Originally Posted by outonalimb View Post
I really believe that sometimes we just have to sit quietly and let God come to us.
for me - these have been my greatest and closest times with God.

HUGS to you, my friend!!!

May your day be filled with many bright "God-filled" moments!
Rita
Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I love that I don't feel limited to "formal" prayers.

Often my prayer will go something like this; "God, I have no clue what I am doing here, and no clue what lies ahead and I can't see around that corner to know what You want for me, so maybe just give me some hint on what I should do next."

Most times, He does.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's been so important for me , lately, to remember to be still. Just be still for a few minutes, without TV or internet or music or anything. I'm a perpetual motion kind of person, so it's not easy.

In those moments when I'm not surrounded or distracted by noise - it's in those moments that I can feel a gentle nudge from my higher power. I get a feeling of encouragement on some decisions I've made , confirmation that I'm headed in the right direction. In other areas, I might get a new idea -obviously not something I thought of myself - that suddenly pops into my head... and I've learned to go ahead and give those a try. If in doubt, I'll run it past another recovery friend first.

Prayer and meditation have brought about big changes in my life and my recovery. It's funny that I still need the reminder from time to time that I should be doing it regularly.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What a great topic!

I love Step 11, too...for all the same reasons, Cats...

I am a nature lover and gardening is a form of meditation for me. My husband made me a potting table for Mother's Day and I love it! I feel close to my Higher Power when I am close to nature....In the garden seeing a young seedling peek through the dirt, at the beach, in the woods, by a lake, even just sitting at a picnic table in the park.

I struggle to carry that same closeness when I walk into work...don't do so good most times, though, LOL!

I believe it is so important to find that thing in life that we love, that we were meant to do....It defines us and allows life to express itself through us. Whether it is gardening, writing, painting, sewing, building, etc., etc.... It is the connection with something greater than ourselves. If you can't do it for a living, do it as a hobby.

I pray the Step 11 prayer all day long. It is a tremendous comfort to me, and I believe that without it, I would not be able to bear the pain. Through it, I find guidance and strength to deal with my AS as well as with the everyday situations we all face.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For those of you who were wondering:

Eleventh Step Prayer

Higher Power, as I understand You,
I pray to keep my connection with You
open & clear from the confusion of daily life.

Through my prayers & meditation I ask especially for
freedom from self-will, rationalization & wishful thinking.
I pray for the guidance of correct thought & positive action.

Your will, Higher Power, not mine, be done.