an addict is an addict. and...step 2?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

an addict is an addict. and...step 2?

hey there.

so i just went and gave the chat room a whirl.

while there, i found myself in a triggering conversation, where there was a person saying she wished her alcoholic sig. other was a pot head.

i reacted, and I tried to explain:

well, i said, an addict is an addict. the drug itself doesn't matter as much as the disease.

the other person argued (in the chat room) that pot is not a bad drug, everyone uses it etc etc. I was steadfast. an addict is an addict i said. it doesn't matter what they choose to use, i said.

Anyway, i am writing this post b/c i'm proud of myself. I was really unable to stay in the conversation without feeling good, - so i said good luck and i left!

it's the little things right!? - this little thing felt good to do. i feel like i practiced a boundary. I knew i was uncomfortable and really just reacting instead of being constructive, which is what i want to avoid in my life, for me. I was triggered (not the person's fault at ALL!) to react - and i didn't!

this is a big deal for me. to really control the one thing i can control - my reaction. to really reach for serenity.

i have been practicing this for 3 weeks and it's really starting to click in a way that feels good.

i feel compassion and empathy for the other persons situation.

There have been times i've wished you-know-who had "just" an alcohol problem, instead of unmedicated mental illness and out of control pot use - but i realize - i really do - that ultimately it's all the same issue.

i am here because i am involved with an addict and at the same time, i am recovering too.

I really really really love step 1. it's really feeling like a "click" in my brain...

i think i'm almost ready for step 2.

almost.

still going to bathe in step 1, until i know i'm ready for 2. but i think i'm really starting to revel in powerlessness (the epiphany of it) as well as serenity, and the kinds of control i can exert versus the reactions that bring me to shame.

i wonder if any of this makes sense!

hello, insomnia....
Old 05-04-2010, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Makes perfect sense to me OS.

I find that each step fully worked brought me a new kind of clarity that seemed obvious but that I had missed my whole life.

You made a good choice by sticking to your boundary and not getting drawn in. You stood on your own values/beliefs even though you stood alone.

All this is recovery shining brightly. Shine on, girl!

Hugs

Last edited by Ann; 05-04-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I'm reading some great recovery here. Thanks for sharing, OceanSize