Don't Be Blown About By Every Wind

Old 04-30-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't Be Blown About By Every Wind

I started reading Codependent No More and I just finished Ch. 6 - Don't be blown about by every wind. All I can say is WOW. I had to go back and read again.

They were a few things that stuck out to me but the one with the most impact came from the next to last paragraph:

"You are not responsible for making other people "see the light," and you do not need to "set them straight." You are responsible for helping yourself see the light and for setting your self straight. If you can't get peaceful about a decision, let it go. It's not time to make it yet. Wait until your mind consistent and your emotions are calm."

This book has really been an eye opener for me so far. I was really surprised!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ThatLittleGirl

Me too, I am not as far along as you, but I've really enjoyed the read so far. I don't know why I resisted for so long buying this book; I suppose I thought it wouldn't have a practical application to me... I was so wrong, I read it and so often say to myself,"Yep, that's me...that too!" :-) My only regret is having waited so long to be open to it...and really delve into fixing me!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Codependent No More was the very first book I picked up after learning my daughter was a heroin addict. Great book with so much wisdom! I highly recommend this book to anyone who is codependent.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

You are not responsible for making other people "see the light," and you do not need to "set them straight." You are responsible for helping yourself see the light and for setting your self straight. If you can't get peaceful about a decision, let it go. It's not time to make it yet. Wait until your mind consistent and your emotions are calm."
You know, I read that book three times before the above quote jumped out at me. Thats what I love about Codependent No More, No matter how many times I read it, it's like reading it for the first time all over again. My copy is dog eared and well worn but I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book.