SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   18-Year-Old Kayla Gerdes Arrested On Vehicular Manslaughter Charge; Police: She Was H (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/199489-18-year-old-kayla-gerdes-arrested-vehicular-manslaughter-charge-police-she-h.html)

steve11694 04-23-2010 07:15 PM

18-Year-Old Kayla Gerdes Arrested On Vehicular Manslaughter Charge; Police: She Was H

Teen Driver On Woman's Death: 'She Was Old' - wcbstv.com

"The thing that made me not feel so bad was she was old," she said. "I mean, 70 years is a long time to live."

That attitude sound familiar? "Little Gods" grandiose, arrogant, self centered, etc etc

suki44883 04-23-2010 07:23 PM

I read that news story earlier today. Sometimes, there just are no words.

CAPTAINZING2000 04-23-2010 07:25 PM

little time in prison might mature the young woman

wicked 04-23-2010 07:29 PM

How much time is vehicular manslaughter in New Jersey?

And, I wonder if she made the comment about the retired doctor "lived a long time", when she was still high.
Looks like she might be getting it now though. The tears and the protests.
Beth

suki44883 04-23-2010 07:31 PM

Her life is going to suck for many years. So sad for all involved.

CAPTAINZING2000 04-23-2010 07:36 PM

Then, on a completely separate note, she told police: "I want to see a newspaper or the news to see what I look like."

you can't make things like that up

suki44883 04-23-2010 07:39 PM

She is young and was high, on her way to court, even. It's obvious she's got a lot of mental problems. Who, in their right mind, goes to court high?

Ann 04-23-2010 07:43 PM

It's just sad, addiction always is.

I hope she pays the consequence for this, but I also hope she gets sober and finds a better path, even if it is in prison.

suki44883 04-23-2010 07:45 PM

So do I, Ann. It's just a shame an innocent person had to die.

Chino 04-23-2010 08:37 PM

I started to read the comments then had to stop, all the contempt was just sickening.

greeteachday 04-24-2010 06:58 AM

It is a tragedy for all involved and it's difficult to watch and read as society judges based on actions while under the influence of such a powerful drug that is legal and far to easily accessible to all. Consequences for actions without passing moral judgment is a difficult place to get to...I guess that's why we all seek recovery.

This to me, is also a huge tragedy that we as a society need to eliminate. Apparently this young woman's problem was not so "serious" according to the insurer that she needed inpatient treatment. I guess they may change their minds now?

Gerdes' lawyer said the teen has a drug problem and was recently kicked out of a rehab program because insurance wouldn't pay for

Chino 04-24-2010 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by greeteachday (Post 2578350)
Consequences for actions without passing moral judgment is a difficult place to get to...I guess that's why we all seek recovery.

I felt tremendous shame when I realized I'd been doing that for a greater part of my adult life. There's a huge difference between judging actions and moral judgment, and it took my daughter's addiction to see that.

All I can hope for is that the woman didn't die in vain. I'll hope and pray this girl finds recovery and honors that woman's life in thoughts and deeds, throughout her life.

edit... I'll also hope and pray the insurance companies wake up!!!! grrrrr

ladyhawk69 04-25-2010 07:07 AM

Hopefully she will find recovery. It is sad however that she was released from a rehab program because insurance wouldn't cover her stay. The system failed 2 people this time..... :(

meditation 04-25-2010 02:01 PM

This is very common though for rehabs to do this. Many of the people in rehab were told how sick they were and how much help they needed by the counselors and then suddenly they were cured to having all the tools of recovery the minute the insurance did not cover the treatment. It is sad. As a recovering addict this could have been me, and I pray this girl can find some help in her life, so young and her life is already messed up.

steve11694 04-28-2010 12:12 AM

They can also get ejected from rehab for not following the rules

barb dwyer 04-28-2010 01:42 AM

There's some kind of mental disorder that I'm thiking of
it's not sociopathic -

it's the one where the person literally has no concept of anything other than the self.
no compassion or regard for other people ..

almost every serial killer has it -

I think this girl does, too.

She's got something OTHER than addiction terribly wrong with her

and she's not safe to be out running loose with other people.

sailorjohn 04-28-2010 02:28 AM

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
-- Bishop Desmond Tutu

Think it bears mentioning, the 18 year old woman had a choice, the victim did not.

Choices and consequences.