A long weekend to remember

Old 04-15-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool A long weekend to remember

anvil's thread reminded me I should share this and I didn't want to hijack her thread.

Last weekend I had to go back 'home' and fulfill a sports related obligation I've done for the last 22 years (boxing). At the last minute I asked my daughter if she wanted to go and of course she said yes. We went to my MLB team game too, and we won so that was great. It was afterward that was even better. They have Friday night fireworks and it was 30 minutes of heaven. My mom joined us and that was a miracle in itself, because she's become a grumpy old lady who'd rather stay home with her cats. Anyway, a few minutes into the fireworks we were all laughing with unbridled glee.

The next night I asked my daughter to take the reins and hand out the memorial trophy for our family. Holy smoke the place erupted! They liked her so much they had her handing trophies left and right. She might as well have been the ring card girl. The best part of that night was her yelling and screaming during the fights. I get ringside seats as a courtesy and the boxers could hear her loud and clear. I don't think she understood half of what she was seeing but that didn't slow her down. Later on, one of the boxers came over and thanked us both for cheering him onto the championship.

She joined one of her grandma's (my stepmother) at her AA meetings that she chairs, and THANK YOU CREATOR for that lady! My stepmother is more my friend because I was an adult when she and my dad married, but she is grandma, friend, confidante, and soul mate to my daughter. How lucky am I to have two beautiful, incredible recovering addicts in my life?!

We also spent a rare evening alone with my MIL (very large family) and then my daughter and I realized it was the first time! It was incredible! MIL pulled out a bunch of stuff she no longer needed/wanted (it was like being at the ultimate estate sale) and it turned into a girly evening of vintage clothing, baubles, and giggles. I've never had an experience like that until now and it was worth the wait. I had to buy an extra suitcase to bring home all the booty!

My daughter had a few uncomfortable moments with my mom but she handled them with dignity. My mom is a conquer and divide kind of person who guards her grudges, and is conditional with her heart. She's a drug and alcohol counselor who rolled her eyes when she asked about my stepmother, and I said she's been sober over a year. My daughter told her straight up how badly that hurt her, does she roll her eyes at her sobriety, too? Every time my mother tried to talk badly about someone, my daughter told her she couldn't listen and be a part of that.

I am so glad I listened to my gut (thank you Miss Done for posting the info about that a month or so ago!) and took my daughter. The Creator gave us opportunities we were both ready for and we grabbed them, lived them, and I'm holding onto them forever!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Chino)))) - remember, way back when, when we were talking about how I thought you and your daughter were going to find a whole new relationship with all this recovery work you've both been doing?

All I can say is To see how far you've both come, and how much closer you've gotten is absolutely heartwarming It sounds like a most wonderful weekend, full of treasures - both of the material and memory kind.

Thanks for sharing this...I've got a big smile on my face and in my heart

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amy, I think about what you said all the time. Matter of fact, every time there's another subtle shift in our relationship. I got to see and experience all the changes in one weekend and it was amazing.

She always knew I did the boxing thing and always wanted to go, but the past few years were not a good time. Because it's a memorial trophy, honor is first and foremost. This year she was ready to be a part of it, to hear the heartbreaking yet uplifting story of how this all started. She was ready to represent a man who overcame insurmountable odds to become a legend.

When she wanted to stay an extra day and spend more time with family, how could I say no? I called my husband and told him why and he was a little surprised, I think. Kind of like me.

Amy, we've all grown in ways I could have never predicted, but your words gave me hope and something to work towards. Thank You
Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We push and push and push ourselves through this recovery process it seems and there are days where it is a struggle to remember how far we've come and how much we've changed.....and then.....there is this moment where the clouds part and the day shines brightly, and suddenly we notice the colors and characters and sounds of joy around us.

Is it divine intervention? Is it our hard work coming to fruition? Is is a perfect storm of recovery, inner peace, and true acceptance of others?

A believe in my core that it is all of these things. Imagine the power of that all coming together at the same moment in time!

Truly wonderful post, Chino!!!

Alice
Old 04-16-2010, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Chino,

Thanks for sharing that post.

That moment when you were all giggling during the fireworks sounds absolutely precious...as does the whole weekend.

I'm so happy for you. I'm glad you had this happy experience. Tuck it away in your heart and remember those giggles when things get tough.

Hugs and happiness for you...
Old 04-16-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Your post warmed my heart, Chino, how wonderful it is to see how relationships grow better as we do too.

You can't plan a memory like this that will last forever. My mom passed away 13 years ago, and some of my most special memories are occasions like this that were just spontaneous but so very special.

Big hugs to you for sharing your light here.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ItsmeAlice View Post
A believe in my core that it is all of these things.
I do too and when anvil mentioned all the lives involved, it really drove it home, made me stop and think. If not for my grandfather, who's been gone for 24 years, we wouldn't have made that trip. Each step leads us onto the next and that includes future generations. Every day we live, we create our legacies (good and bad) and they carry on in the lives we touch. If I live for today, to the best of my ability, the future might just have something good to work with again