Attempting to file divorce myself

Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attempting to file divorce myself

I have a question, I have all the paperwork ready to file for divorce myself (No Attorney), and I wanted to know if I file in my own county or in the county he is incarcerated in. I am in Atlanta.
thanks for any help!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are some pretty good websites out there that can answer that question. Every state is a little different. You could also call your local county court house, they will know. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! I did call my county courthouse this morning and they did not know.....I looked ALL over the internet today and couldnt find anything specific for Georgia. I was hoping someone here would have had that experience.

I attempted to file last year at my own courthouse but it was sent back for more financial affadavids and the venue was questionable because he was in a different county...Just hoping someone will come along and point me in the direction I need to go in.

THanks so much
Old 04-14-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm surprised the county didn't know. When my sister filed for divorce she had to file in her county. But every state and every county is different. I hope you find an answer.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did my own divorce and mine was incarcerated also. I filed in the last county we lived in together since he was incarcerated in the same county. It should be easier to have him served since he's in jail. Mine sure was. Good Luck!!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I don't know about him being incarcerated, but when I filed for divorce myself last year, I had to file in the county HE resided in. Had to drive hours to court.

*Edit: My case was in California though...