OT - New pet, loss of old pets

Old 04-03-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - New pet, loss of old pets

We recently lost two pets within a short period of time. One of them was mainly mine, the others was mainly the RABF's. We have been very sad, and it has been a hard adjustment for both of us. I have adopted one pet, but want to go ahead and adopt another one. I know that I can't replace the other pets, there is no way that is possible. I am just so lonely, and the house still seems so quiet. We have the space, money, etc. for a third pet. The shelters are exploding with pets needing homes. I just can't seem to convince RABF that we are ready for another pet. He says he is not ready. He has too much going on with new job. He says he still has pain over the loss of his pet, and that he will know when he is ready.

I understand his feelings. However, I have my own feelings. There is no way to compromise on this because either we get a new pet or we don't. He isn't saying that he doesn't ever want a new pet, just that he wants to wait. It could be weeks or months. I am just so sad. Maybe, I need to work more on patience, and work more on grieving. However, I feel that with so many homeless pets, it is a shame for us to have room for one (and we are wonderful pet parents). The knew one would be well taken care of for life, and would have everything he/she needs.

Any advice?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluebelle View Post
I am just so lonely, and the house still seems so quiet.
How about spending some time volunteering time at an animal shelter?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have seriously thought of that, and have done it in the past. There are two problems. One, is that I am a full-time school/worker, and should probably spend volunteer time in my field of study (nursing). Two, is that I'm liable to want to take every animal home with me. However, I am still considering this as a possibility. That place that I'm thinking about only requires 8 hours of volunteer work a month.

Last edited by bluebelle; 04-03-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-03-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I lost my beloved Toby, a 19 year old orange tabby, last summer and I know I am still not "over it". I can't talk about him without crying, but it is slowly getting better.

I understand your boyfriends hesitation, I can't think about getting another animal right now. One day I think I will, but I'm not ready yet.

What seems odd to me is that you have one pet already, why is adding one more so hard?

I don't have the answers, but wanted to share that we each grieve in our own way and one day your bf will be ready again.

Hugs